Corrections Corporation of America

Very Difficult Interview

Business Manager Interview

Business Manager
Nashville, TN

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Corrections Corporation of America in June 2011.

Interview Details – Two interviews. Tough scenario questions that do not prove or disprove qualifications for job.

Interview Question – Describe a time you implemented a new procedure and what was the outcome.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotations in pay. I was offered the minimum and was paid $15,000 less than others less qualified. It is who you know; not your education and experience that counts.

Correctional Officer Interview

Correctional Officer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Corrections Corporation of America.

Interview Details – The interview process will consist of filling out an application and checking your email within a few days to take an assessment. After the assessment, they ask for permission to check your background, if relevant. You are then put into a pool, in wich they will call you if they need to interview you. The interview consists of a wide variety of questions dealing with your moral character and such.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question was: "tell me something that you used confidence to get through?" I thought this was strange.   Answer Question

Field Engineer Interview

Field Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Corrections Corporation of America in June 2007.

Interview Details – Interview was great. First I had a phone interview, then a face to face with the manager where I was given a skills test. Next I had a interview with the team, and after that the offer was made.

Negotiation Details – The salary was what I wanted so no negotiation was needed

Chaplain Interview

Chaplain
Des Moines, IA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Corrections Corporation of America in January 2009.

Interview Details – Interviewed by a Warden and the person supervising the Chaplain.
They asked about my background, ability to work odd hours, how I would handle conflict, questions about my security mindedness, and ...

Interview Question – "...How would you manage this position? What will be your general approach?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was absolutely no negotiation. It was "This is the amount the position pays. This is not negotiable. It is what it is."

Corrections Officer Interview

Corrections Officer

Interview Details – I applied online through their website and recieved a phone call approximately 2 weeks later, asking me if I was still interested, and scheduled an interview at the facility. Interview was a panel type interview, with a supervisor (Captain) and another admin rep. Questions were pretty basic... Asked a lot of "what would you do if..." questions. The key is to not think like you're trying to be a Corrections Officer. Keep it simple, and use common sense. After the interview, I was asked to step outside while they discussed my interview. Afterwards, I was told to report back for a drug test and psychological test/interview (everyone who made it past the initial interview was accepted.

Interview Question – You're working alone in a unit when another officer says he is in trouble, and needs assistance- What do you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Compensation was already discussed prior to offer. No difference based on experience or education.

Detention Officer Interview

Detention Officer

I applied online and the process took 7 months - interviewed at Corrections Corporation of America.

Interview Details – It was a very generic interview. They asked a few questions about how you would react in certain situations and how would you treat a person if you new this or that about them. I was surprised that the interview was not more in depth it was very surface level. The security clearance was what surprised me, it took 6 months to get my clearance and it was then that I could actually be hired.

Interview Question – How would you react if an inmate showed his/her genitalia to you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was my way or the highway with CCA.

Academic Instructor Interview

Academic Instructor
Alamo, GA

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Corrections Corporation of America in May 2010.

Interview Details – Time from application to interview was lengthy, 6 months. Then, they expected you to be available exactly when they said. Also, they did not bother to mention or negotiate salary until I showed up for the training. Very underhanded, IMO.

Interview Question – Give details regarding a situation where you have disagreed with a decision of a supervisor. Also, give details of a situation where a supervisor poorly handled an interaction with you or your colleagues, and what was your response.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Walk out if the number does not meet your expectations. Otherwise, there is never any rectifying underpayment.

C/O Interview

C/O
Youngstown, OH

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Corrections Corporation of America in June 2011.

Interview Details – They hiring and interview process was so slow it was 3 months from the time that I applied till I found out that I got the job. even after finding out they will offer you the job you still have to go through another background check to be approved to work with the inmate. If you do not pass this one I do not know what they would do with you.

Interview Question – I do not think any of there questions were difficult but I was asked if I could count that was unexpected since I did pass kindergarten.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was not one at all

Very Easy Interview

Corrections Officer Interview

Corrections Officer

I applied online - interviewed at Corrections Corporation of America in March 2012.

Interview Details – I had to go online to put in my application. The process was pretty easy. I think it was about a month later that I received an email and phone call for an interview. I later found out that the person interviewing me was not even management staff and had nothing to do with the security department. This person was rude, almost confrontational and lied to me saying that they were an assistant warden from another facility helping out. If I had not been desperately wanting to get out of the job I was in while going for this interview, I probably would not have accepted the employment offer. If I had known that the interviewer was lying to me, I would not have accepted the offer.

Interview Question – If you were asked to bring contraband into the facility or was offered to have a relationship with an offender what would you do? If you knew of an officer party to any of the activities above what would you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They had a set offer and would not budge from that.

Very Easy Interview

Detention Officer Interview

Detention Officer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Corrections Corporation of America.

Interview Details – Dress the part of a business minded person and always look your interviewer straight in the eye; it shows confidence in yourself. Don't volunteer information, let them ask all the questions. Never mention money until after you are assured the position.

Interview Question – No off the mark questions will be asked of you.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Everyone is paid the same across the board for detention officers.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Corrections Corporation of America

Worked for Corrections Corporation of America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Corrections Corporation of America interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by Corrections Corporation of America employees and interview candidates.