Cost Plus

Updated Jan 22, 2015
Updated Jan 22, 2015

2.3

Sales Associate Interview

I came to open interviews and talked about myself and why I liked the store. They examined my resume and asked about my work ethic. Mainly about attendance in addition to, how committed I was to being available to pick up shifts . After learning more about me they sent me a email to accept employment.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Cost Plus.

Online application and then got a call and was scheduled for an interview. The interview process was very easy and simple. The interview took like 5 to 10 minutes... It wasn't long at all

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cost Plus in November 2014.

I applied via the Cost Plus website and eventually received an email from the store manager about a job fair sometime in the next week. When I arrived, I asked an employee about where to go for the job fair and she didn't know, so I went to another employee and they told me to put my name on the list up front and walk around the store until they call me up. The list had about 20 names already on it from that day (I assume they had several groups earlier). I arrived about 10 minutes early and waited around the store for maybe another 15 minutes until they called me up (they called me just by saying my name and not too loudly, so I had to really pay attention and not actually wander around the store).

I was put into a group with 3 other applicants and we were taken back to the manager's office, which was too small for the total of 5 people in the room. The manager was generally friendly and relaxed and asked us a lot of questions, each of us taking a turn to answer. I wore a black blazer, black blouse, black skinny jeans, and oxford style shoes and I was still probably a bit over-dressed. The other women in my group were wearing tee shirts and jeans. The manager was wearing jeans and a long sleeve cotton shirt, so the dress code wasn't too strict.

One applicant had blue hair and asked if that would be an issue. The manager reinforced that Cost Plus truly doesn't discriminate, which means they allow unnatural hair color and visible tattoos (amongst other things).

Interview Questions
    • Mostly normal questions: Tell us about a time you experienced exceptional customer service.   Answer Question
    • What's your favorite thing to buy at World Market?   Answer Question
    • Do you know any Cost Plus history?   View Answer
    • Can you guess how many cases of wine be have on the floor the week before Christmas?   View Answer

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Cost Plus in November 2014.

I applied online for a seasonal stock associate and received a call from the stores manager a few days later. We set up an interview time and met accordingly. The interview was simple, quick, and easy. However, he said that the job position would be a seasonal sales associate, not a stock associate that I applied for. This didn't bother me though since I was interested in any position at the store. He also explained the dress code, their hours, and my availability. Closing my interview, the manager stated that he would have to "check with the HR department" regarding my age (I am currently 16) and that he would contact me within the next week. Less than an hour after my interview, I received two emails from world market stating that "I was not the best match" and that they would keep my file on hand for future opportunities. The problem that I had with this is that the manager did not know the company's age policy in the first place. Secondly, the fact that I stated on my application that I was under the age of eighteen should have been enough for them to decide whether or not I was old enough for the position before calling me in for an interview. If there was anything hat I gained out of the process, it was learning how the interview process works and preparing me for another try elsewhere. Ultimately, I was disappointed in the lack of knowledge that the manager possessed and the fact that the store would call me in for an interview with the company having a strict age policy that would prohibit my employment there.

I am still currently waiting for a call from the manager in regards to the position and the outcome which was firstly sent by email.

Interview Questions
    • "If I were to call a reference listed, what is something negative that they might say about you?"   Answer Question

Sales Seasonal Jobs Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Cost Plus in November 2014.

Was contacted by the Store Manager for the group Interview. Interview situation 4 persons and Store Manager.
    You might need to work in pairs to find out about the other candidate and introduce the other candidate to group. After this Store Mngr told about the World Market way to engage the clients. Object is sell more, make clients to come back, to sign with email program etc.Tell how you sorted difficult customer, Pick a one product and sell to the group, how you went beyond customer service.

General Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cost Plus.

I was first contacted by the Regional Manager and was set up with an interview. First interview was in person with two General Managers. Was contacted later that day and scheduled to have a phone interview with the Human Resources Manager. That was the second interview. Third interview was with a District Manager. Received offer that day from the Human Resource Manager.

Interview Questions
    • They were all pretty situational and past experience questions. Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question
    I attempted to negotiate but was unsuccessful.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cost Plus in October 2014.

Was called in for an interview along with 2 other people. Was told it would take a week for my background check to go through and then they would make me an offer. Never heard from them so called 2 weeks later and was told they were still interviewing and would let me know by the end of the month. Called on the date they said I would hear something and was told they were still interviewing. Never heard from them ever. Very unprofessional in my opinion.

Interview Questions
    • They mostly just wanted to know about your life and tested your sales skills. Also were more interested in signing you up for their worldmarketexplorer reward program than hiring you to work there.   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Cost Plus in September 2014.

Applied back in August, they called back about two weeks later asking if I wanted to do a group interview the following Monday I said yes. The group interview was very simple, we introduced ourselves, answered a few questions and took a tour around the store. After that the manager set us up for a one on one interview. The following Monday the manager called and gave me s job offer.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Cost Plus in September 2014.

I applied online and recieved an email the next day from the General Manager asking me to please call to set up an interview. I called the GM and was unexpectedly briefly interviewed over the phone. After that, he asked me to come in the next day for an in person interview with both him and the Supervisor of Operations. I arrived the next day and interviewed with the GM first, then the Supervisor of Operations. At the end of the interview I was told they had a few more people to interview, so I would be contacted by the end of the week. The GM called me about 3 days later and offered me the job and I accepted. He scheduled me to come in to complete new hire paperwork 1 week later and at that time he let me know orientation would be 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember specific questions, but there were some basic interview questions mixed with some very difficult questions.   Answer Question
    No negotiation on pay

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I went to open interviews for several seasonal positions. It was a standard one-on-one interview with a manager, but very casual. She asked a few easy questions, ("Why are you interested in World Market?" "Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult customer,") and the interview only took about 10 minutes.