Cost Plus

Average Difficulty
71 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied online - interviewed at Cost Plus in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online & it took about two or three weeks for them to get back to me & call me to come in for an interview. I was interviewed by myself with two interviewers.

Interview Question – Why do you wanna work for Cost Plus?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Supervisor of Operations Interview

Supervisor of Operations
Valencia, CA

I applied in-person and interviewed at Cost Plus.

Interview Details – Easy group interview environment. The management did not seem to be too experienced in the practice of interviewing. It was however, a light and fun experience that didn't seem to take that long at all.

Interview Question – What was your most difficult interaction with a customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not hard.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Cost Plus.

Interview Details – The application is done online and after submitting the application I was called for an interview. I interviewed with a single manager the first day and returned the second day for a group interview. The manager hired all of the people at the group interview. Basic questions about why you want to work there and what is your best quality.

Interview Question – What is an example of something you did that relates to this position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation phase, was only told in an email after I accepted the offer about pay scale.

Supervisor Interview

Supervisor

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cost Plus.

Interview Details – I was given two interviews: a brief one with the general manager of the store, and one with the district's HR rep. The first interview took place at the store I was to be hired at, and the second, which lasted over an hour and a half, took place at a different location over an hour away.

Interview Question – Many of the questions were very behavioral, and I could tell he was looking for a very specific answer. The most challenging ones had me working through solutions to postion-specific scenarios I hadn't yet experienced.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

POS Coordinator Interview

POS Coordinator
Dallas, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cost Plus.

Interview Details – I was working as a cashier (badgeholder), at another store and I was offered the position at the Dallas store. They asked me my complete history in the company and what my goals were.

Interview Question – They asked and chided me on what I was not good at.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Roseville, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Cost Plus.

Interview Details – Apply online, general manager will send an email or call you to schedule an interview. Interview is on the store floor (in the dining furniture area, with customers shopping all around you). Basic retail/customer service oriented questions. Job offer extended via email.

Interview Question – Describe a time you dealt with a difficult customer or situation at work?   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cost Plus.

Interview Details – I first submitted my application online. About three weeks later, I received a call from the Corporate recruiter who did a one hour interview and set me up with a face to face interview with the DM. The DM interview went pretty well, He asked mostly behavioral questions and was very straight forward about his expectations for the position. I really liked that and felt it was a great match for me. He set up a third interview for me with corporate HR that same day. After a short background check, I was offered the position.

Interview Question – None. Behavior related questions. If you have experience, you should be able to answer the questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I had negotiated with the HR manager previously and they had an established pay band so no way to negotiate outside it.

Redmond, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cost Plus in August 2012.

Interview Details – Prepare for the likely event you will have to wait 10-25 minutes after your designated interview start time before the actual interview begins, and to be interrupted many times throughout the process. Your interview will run later than expected because the managers are understaffed and usually get called out to the floor multiple times during the interview process to deal with customers and employees.

Interview Question – What is your favorite product and why?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They pay minimum wage, so don't expect more.

Customer Service Supervisor Interview

Customer Service Supervisor

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Cost Plus.

Interview Details – Interviewed with two different GM's and then the DM. First GM focused more on personality and asked more on why I wanted the job and things about me. Second GM focused more on past experience and learned experiences. DM did a little of both to see if both GM's perspectives were accurate.

Interview Question – This question is a standard question but my answer is what got me the next interview. "Tell me about yourself"   View Answer

Webster, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Cost Plus in February 2014.

Interview Details – It was a group interview with 12-14 total applicants. We were grouped up into two persons. We had to ask the other applicant what was their most recent job, position, responsibilities, and why they would be a good fit for World Market then share it with the interviewer (the General Manager of the store location) and the other applicants.

The General Manager said that if we couldn't do any of the tasks required, "this is not the job for you." Some of them were multi-tasking by ringing a shopper AND greeting another shopper as they walk through the door, assisting the shopper in getting a basket or shopping cart, and straightening the store. (This wasn't going to be my first retail job so I basically knew how to operate in a retail environment.

When I walked in that afternoon for the interview, I had no idea it was going to be a group interview. I personally don't like them because I wouldn't be able to interact with the interviewer as well than interviewing by ourselves.

We were told after the interview that if we would be offered the job or not, we would get an email in a couple of days by email (by Wednesday). I received the email Wednesday afternoon saying I was declined the position (the GM was looking for only 1-2 Sales Associates).

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cost Plus

Worked for Cost Plus? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cost Plus interview questions and advice. All 71 interview reviews posted anonymously by Cost Plus employees and interview candidates.