Cost Plus Interview Questions

Updated Oct 4, 2014

2.3

Supervisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cost Plus.

I was given two interviews: a brief one with the general manager of the store, and one with the district's HR rep. The first interview took place at the store I was to be hired at, and the second, which lasted over an hour and a half, took place at a different location over an hour away.

Interview Questions
    • Many of the questions were very behavioral, and I could tell he was looking for a very specific answer. The most challenging ones had me working through solutions to postion-specific scenarios I hadn't yet experienced.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.

POS Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cost Plus.

I was working as a cashier (badgeholder), at another store and I was offered the position at the Dallas store. They asked me my complete history in the company and what my goals were.

Stock Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cost Plus in April 2014.

I interviewed twice for World Market. It was a two week process. After my second interview I did not receive a phone call regarding me being hired, only an email, which I did not particularly care for. I proceeded to call the Store Manager verifying my hire and details as to what to do for coming in (3am-5am average starts of shift), as there were none in my hire letter I accepted online. I completed all online tasks that were required before hand, so my first day of "training" was uneventful. Interviewer number one was a Dept. Head, and was very outgoing and personable, I felt confident that I could be hired then. Second interview was the General Manager and that interview left me unsure as to my chances of a hire, hence why I was mildly annoyed at the email job offer.

Interview Questions
    An email with a few online signatures and assessments.

Store Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

interviewed at Cost Plus in April 2014.

Met recruiters at a school career fair and then signed up for interviews on campus. The interview felt casual. Cost Plus then had a career fair at their headquarters to meet with the different departments who were apart of the internship program. After talking with each department, you were then contacted by the departments that were interested in you to arrange a phone interview. After those interviews, decisions were made.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Cost Plus.

Apply online, general manager will send an email or call you to schedule an interview. Interview is on the store floor (in the dining furniture area, with customers shopping all around you). Basic retail/customer service oriented questions. Job offer extended via email.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you dealt with a difficult customer or situation at work?   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cost Plus.

I first submitted my application online. About three weeks later, I received a call from the Corporate recruiter who did a one hour interview and set me up with a face to face interview with the DM. The DM interview went pretty well, He asked mostly behavioral questions and was very straight forward about his expectations for the position. I really liked that and felt it was a great match for me. He set up a third interview for me with corporate HR that same day. After a short background check, I was offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • None. Behavior related questions. If you have experience, you should be able to answer the questions.   Answer Question
    I had negotiated with the HR manager previously and they had an established pay band so no way to negotiate outside it.

Customer Service Supervisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Cost Plus.

Interviewed with two different GM's and then the DM. First GM focused more on personality and asked more on why I wanted the job and things about me. Second GM focused more on past experience and learned experiences. DM did a little of both to see if both GM's perspectives were accurate.

Interview Questions
    • This question is a standard question but my answer is what got me the next interview. "Tell me about yourself"   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Webster, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Webster, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cost Plus in February 2014.

It was a group interview with 12-14 total applicants. We were grouped up into two persons. We had to ask the other applicant what was their most recent job, position, responsibilities, and why they would be a good fit for World Market then share it with the interviewer (the General Manager of the store location) and the other applicants.

The General Manager said that if we couldn't do any of the tasks required, "this is not the job for you." Some of them were multi-tasking by ringing a shopper AND greeting another shopper as they walk through the door, assisting the shopper in getting a basket or shopping cart, and straightening the store. (This wasn't going to be my first retail job so I basically knew how to operate in a retail environment.

When I walked in that afternoon for the interview, I had no idea it was going to be a group interview. I personally don't like them because I wouldn't be able to interact with the interviewer as well than interviewing by ourselves.

We were told after the interview that if we would be offered the job or not, we would get an email in a couple of days by email (by Wednesday). I received the email Wednesday afternoon saying I was declined the position (the GM was looking for only 1-2 Sales Associates).

Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arden, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arden, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cost Plus.

Very lengthy and very in depth. It was as if they were hiring for a job that was executive level. Craigslist ad, phone interview with a GM from another store. Fill out Virtual edge online application. Call back for a sit down interview with two supervisors. Questions were odd, not really professional. A lot of what if scenario's concerning retail. A lot of questions pertaining to previous employment.

Interview Questions
    • What is important to you as a person?
      How did you enjoy high school?
      Do you consider yourself mechanically inclined?
      Are you friendly?
        View Answer
    They offered $14 and hour, I said $18 the max was $15.

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cost Plus.

They only accept online applications but in order for them to get familiar with me I went in a couple times to shop and also spoke with the general manager to introduce myself. Once I completed the application online I called the store and let their management team know that I had completed it and when I could expect an interview. I participated in a group interview where they asked about my availability, why I wanted to work there, experience in retail, and how I knew about the store among other general interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions they asked were particularly difficult to answer. Coming in with a general idea of how to respond to some common interview questions shouldn't lead you astray.   Answer Question