Costco Wholesale Cashier Interview Questions

Updated Mar 18, 2015
Updated Mar 18, 2015

2.9

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Maplewood, MN) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied for many jobs including the cashier position and got a phone call the next day from someone in payroll to come in the following Friday to do an interview. I came in on that Friday and had an interview with two people. Well they were nice except one seemed to be a tad disinterested and they both seemed to crack a couple of inside jokes during the interview. Well when they finished with their questions they told me they wanted to move forward and brought out another person. I spoke with her and she offered me the job and told me that I had to go do my drug testing which I did later that day and that my orientation would be set for two weeks from that point because I had to put in a notice at my other job.

Monday comes and the person who originally called me from payroll called me and left a voice mail. I was busy that day and couldn't call her back until the next day, when I called her she said that she never called me (though she did indeed - the voice mail was proof) and asked if I wanted to come in for an interview. I said that I already came in for an interview and did drug testing and everything and she said that she had no record of that and that she must have lost my paperwork. She then said that I could come in and do another interview and I was like when I did the first interview I TOOK PTO TIME from my other job to come and do this interview and when I was told that I had the job and to do drug testing (which I'm not on drugs so I wasn't worried) that I put in a two week notice and during those two weeks I COULD NOT take time off again. This set off multiple red flags for me and at that moment I decided to just go with plan B. She was like "OK, let me find your paperwork and I'll call you back and set up a time for you to come in and do your orientation, but I only have three days to hire you after we receive your drug test results," I was okay with that but still went ahead and set up my backup.

Well despite being in the two week window still she calls me and is like "you need to come in and do your orientation." Once again I told her I could not take the time off because I am in my two week window with the other job and that I already had the orientation set up for two weeks from when I was hired. I then just decided to tell her that I'm deciding to go with something else and if at some point if I feel the desire that I will apply for Costco again in the future, but I really don't have the time for games or disorganization at this point.

Interview Questions

• How do you practice safety at work?   1 Answer

I declined because they seemed really unorganized and it frightened me a little.

Other Interview Reviews for Costco Wholesale

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Interview

They asked many questions that were not your typical boring questions. People were friendly with loaded questions. THIS IS A THREE STEP INTERVIEW PROCESS. For me they did them the same night. Was done in a pretty laid back manor. BUSINESS CASUAL is dress style. Jeans and polo are what I wore.

Interview Questions

• Some that I can recall is how have you handled a difficult situation with a co-worker, with a customer, and how will your previous work experience apply here.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate. Was no negotiate phase, pay was good but slightly less than what I currently make at my first job. Not so much about the money for me so it didn't matter for me

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (North Brunswick, NJ) in July 2014.

Interview

Sat down in the break room with two employees who asked me for my availability, before heading on to very specific situational questions.

I applied to be a cashier, but they insisted that I consider working in tires or as a gas station attendant.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you were misunderstood by a coworker   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had to help an angry customer   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had an abrupt change in your schedule, and how you dealt with it   Answer Question
    • Name a time you were recognized in the work place   Answer Question
    • What have you done to prepare for today's interview?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Phone interview, in person interview- the typical questions. I actually was just trying to get a summer job and they placed me where they needed help the most.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Sun Prairie, WI) in October 2012.

Interview

Online app, then a quick 4 minute cattle call interview.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions. There was one question they refused to accept my answer to though. They asked "how did you handle your worst encounter with an upset customer?". I answered I never really had a "worst encounter", I said "in fact I never relly had an upset customer, not from anything I did ever with a customer".. They grilled me a bit on this and ended the interview right there.

I was interviewed there by two very young guys, one was obviously in training, and neither of them could have possibly had anywhere ner the retail management that I have.

1 Answer

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Pittsburgh, PA) in September 2012.

Interview

The process is long, I went through two interviews ended up not getting the job. In the interviews they asked me a lot of questions regarding my goals, work experience, strengths/weaknesses.
    I think you should not be in a rush when applying to a job at Costco, it took a good week between first and second interview. They didn't say anything about how long time you could expect before you hear from them.

Interview Questions

• What leadership qualities do you possess?   1 Answer

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Denver, CO) in August 2010.

Interview

Laid back culture that values good employees so their interview process can be long for a retail position. They are trying to gage if you have the spunk of personality, physical ability to do the job and resilience to working in retail

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a difficult customer where the "customer is always right" attitude does not apply   1 Answer

Negotiation

Be upfront about what days you can work they will reference that when they need changes in schedules so don't say you can work Fridays if in a month you will not be able to

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Kennewick, WA) in July 2010.

Interview

Never heard of the place. Walked in and asked for a manager and talked to them. Kept getting the (nothing available scenario). finally after several weeks I got an interview that lasted about 10 minutes. I went back 3 days later got two more interviews with two different managers and was hired.

Interview Questions

• How would you treat a member if they were being really unreasonable with you?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Rockwall, TX) in January 2010.

Interview

I applied for a cashier position online after receiving a notice that I was going to be laid off at my previous employer. I got a phone call for an interview about four days after I applied. I was interviewed by a supervisor and another supervisor that was just writing my responses. They asked me about my experiences from my previous job. I thought the interview was going well, until they asked me questions that are more relevant to Costco. Considering that my family recently purchased a membership and I have been there only two times, I had to kind of BS those questions to the best of my ability. Needless to say, I did not get the job, and learned to do some research before an interview.

Cashier Interview

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Houston, TX) in June 2008.

Interview

The interview was a three-step process. Most questions were typical interview questions: How do you deal with conflict, strengths, weaknesses, experience, why Costco?, etc. Dress semi-professional: nice slacks and top, no suit necessary for cashier position. Be relaxed and personable, the three managers that interviewed me in separate 1 on 1 occasions were very friendly.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult customer and how you handled the situation.   Answer Question
    • What is your greatest weakness and how do you work through it?   Answer Question

Distance, and decided to stay at the current job at the time.