Costco Wholesale Cashier Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2015

2.6

Anonymous Employee in Maplewood, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Maplewood, MN) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied for many jobs including the cashier position and got a phone call the next day from someone in payroll to come in the following Friday to do an interview. I came in on that Friday and had an interview with two people. Well they were nice except one seemed to be a tad disinterested and they both seemed to crack a couple of inside jokes during the interview. Well when they finished with their questions they told me they wanted to move forward and brought out another person. I spoke with her and she offered me the job and told me that I had to go do my drug testing which I did later that day and that my orientation would be set for two weeks from that point because I had to put in a notice at my other job. Monday comes and the person who originally called me from payroll called me and left a voice mail. I was busy that day and couldn't call her back until the next day, when I called her she said that she never called me (though she did indeed - the voice mail was proof) and asked if I wanted to come in for an interview. I said that I already came in for an interview and did drug testing and everything and she said that she had no record of that and that she must have lost my paperwork. She then said that I could come in and do another interview and I was like when I did the first interview I TOOK PTO TIME from my other job to come and do this interview and when I was told that I had the job and to do drug testing (which I'm not on drugs so I wasn't worried) that I put in a two week notice and during those two weeks I COULD NOT take time off again. This set off multiple red flags for me and at that moment I decided to just go with plan B. She was like "OK, let me find your paperwork and I'll call you back and set up a time for you to come in and do your orientation, but I only have three days to hire you after we receive your drug test results," I was okay with that but still went ahead and set up my backup. Well despite being in the two week window still she calls me and is like "you need to come in and do your orientation." Once again I told her I could not take the time off because I am in my two week window with the other job and that I already had the orientation set up for two weeks from when I was hired. I then just decided to tell her that I'm deciding to go with something else and if at some point if I feel the desire that I will apply for Costco again in the future, but I really don't have the time for games or disorganization at this point.

Interview Questions

• How do you practice safety at work?   1 Answer

I declined because they seemed really unorganized and it frightened me a little.

Other Interview Reviews for Costco Wholesale

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Interview

They asked many questions that were not your typical boring questions. People were friendly with loaded questions. THIS IS A THREE STEP INTERVIEW PROCESS. For me they did them the same night. Was done in a pretty laid back manor. BUSINESS CASUAL is dress style. Jeans and polo are what I wore.

Interview Questions

• Some that I can recall is how have you handled a difficult situation with a co-worker, with a customer, and how will your previous work experience apply here.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Did not negotiate. Was no negotiate phase, pay was good but slightly less than what I currently make at my first job. Not so much about the money for me so it didn't matter for me

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Brunswick, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (North Brunswick, NJ) in July 2014.

Interview

Sat down in the break room with two employees who asked me for my availability, before heading on to very specific situational questions. I applied to be a cashier, but they insisted that I consider working in tires or as a gas station attendant.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you were misunderstood by a coworker   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had to help an angry customer   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had an abrupt change in your schedule, and how you dealt with it   Answer Question
    • Name a time you were recognized in the work place   Answer Question
    • What have you done to prepare for today's interview?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Phone interview, in person interview- the typical questions. I actually was just trying to get a summer job and they placed me where they needed help the most.

Anonymous Employee in Sun Prairie, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Sun Prairie, WI) in October 2012.

Interview

Online app, then a quick 4 minute cattle call interview.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions. There was one question they refused to accept my answer to though. They asked "how did you handle your worst encounter with an upset customer?". I answered I never really had a "worst encounter", I said "in fact I never relly had an upset customer, not from anything I did ever with a customer".. They grilled me a bit on this and ended the interview right there. I was interviewed there by two very young guys, one was obviously in training, and neither of them could have possibly had anywhere ner the retail management that I have.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Pittsburgh, PA) in September 2012.

Interview

The process is long, I went through two interviews ended up not getting the job. In the interviews they asked me a lot of questions regarding my goals, work experience, strengths/weaknesses. I think you should not be in a rush when applying to a job at Costco, it took a good week between first and second interview. They didn't say anything about how long time you could expect before you hear from them.

Interview Questions

• What leadership qualities do you possess?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Costco Wholesale (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

Very affordable high quality health insurance benefits even for PT employees. Great for working parents who split up child care and need coverage. The key to succeeding at Costco is to work hard, have a good attitude and be nice to people. It's hard work and fasted paced, you have to be down for that to succeed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winter Park, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Winter Park, FL) in November 2011.

Interview

Its usually with two persons, which makes it count as your second and third interview. Their interviews are the easiest with the typical questions on why you're interested in the position and how you would be a good fit. And also typical work scenarios. They are super laid back. They don't care for your resume at all.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a time when you dealt with a difficult customer, and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (New York, NY) in June 2011.

Interview

Easy interview basic questions about previous employments and employee values. Was hired pretty much that day depending on a drug test and background check. Some people had one round of interviews others had two or three rounds including the warehouse manager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Denver, CO) in August 2010.

Interview

Laid back culture that values good employees so their interview process can be long for a retail position. They are trying to gage if you have the spunk of personality, physical ability to do the job and resilience to working in retail

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a difficult customer where the "customer is always right" attitude does not apply   1 Answer

Negotiation

Be upfront about what days you can work they will reference that when they need changes in schedules so don't say you can work Fridays if in a month you will not be able to