Costco Wholesale

Getting the Interview

19 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Morganville, NJ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Costco Wholesale in October 2013.

Interview Details – Process consisted of 3 interviews. one with a supervisor, then department manager, then store team leader

Interview Question – I was asked if i had any management or school experience   Answer Question

Interviewed at Costco Wholesale

Interview Details – Very basic questions including your typical strength/weakness question.

Interview Question – Most difficult question was probably the one on how you multitask and its challenges.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation process. However, everyone starts at 11.50 USD/hour which is probably best in the industry.

Chula Vista, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Costco Wholesale in September 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and went in person to see the hiring manager. I kept checking back with the hiring manager every 2-3 weeks. Be persistent. Keep bugging them and show them you are interested. I gave one of the hiring manager's my resume, and about a few days later I received a call for an interview the following saturday. The interview was conducted in a little room right next to the break room. One of the assistant manager's was in there along with a supervisor and they asked very basic questions like "have you had a job before?" "What is customer service to you?" and a couple scenario questions like "Suppose you had to run back to get an item and a few members stopped you to asked for an item's location. How would you handle that?" After that interview was finished, I received a call about a week later or so for another interview, this time with the warehouse manager. When I met with him, this was in his office. He was really cool and he welcomed me into his office and asked me calmly why I wanted to work there. "Why Costco? What drew you to here as opposed to some other place." I told him that I am very ethics focused--in school I studied philosophy and my area of interest was ethics--and I told him that I liked the fact that Costco was focused on ethics and treating its members and workers properly. After that he asked me some other basic questions like if I had another job, what other experience I have, where I went to school, etc. He was very easy to talk to. He offered me the job right at the end of the interview.

Interview Question – One question that threw me off guard was: Tell me about a time you had a problem with someone and what you did to fix it.   Answer Question

Front End Assistant

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Costco Wholesale in September 2013.

Interview Details – Online then a follow up interview by two managers. Most questions were standard such as why i wanted to join costco and prior work experience .

Interview Question – Name a time when you had conflict with a coworker and how you resolved it   Answer Question

Interviewed at Costco Wholesale

Interview Details – I had an in person interview that was mainly behavioral. They asked normal questions starting with "Tell me about a time when"

Interview Question – They asked me about a time when I was asked to do something unethical at work.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate

Very Easy Interview

Burbank, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Costco Wholesale in September 2012.

Interview Details – You cannot get an interview JUST by putting in an online application. You MUST make personal contact with a manager either in person or by phone.

I had 3 interviews, 2 standing at the end of a checkout line and one in the manager's office. They asked very generic HR questions, and the interviews lasted less than 5 minutes.

Interview Question – The last manager asked me to tell him something none of the other interviewees had told him....something about myself that would make me a good Costco employee. Well, I'm not sure how he thought I'd know what the other people had told him! Ridiculous thing to say.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – nothing.

Livonia, MI

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Interview Details – A very easy process. it was a 3 interview process. they ask situational questions and write down what you say. They interviewers were very comforting and easy going. Some of the questions were repetitive but i think they want you to answer all of them in the same manner. Overall compared to other interviews i have been on this was much better.

Interview Question – Multiple interviews with the same managers was very annoying.   Answer Question

San Diego, CA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Costco Wholesale in October 2010.

Interview Details – It is a relatively easy process. If you become the squeeky wheel, they may give you a shot. However, hiring is highly competitive, and usually on takes place seasonally. When you start, you start at 11.00 an hour and have to work 1000 hour before the first $.25 raise, followed by 600 hour interval raises after that, after around 3 years, you may earn an extra $1/year up to $25 or so. However, due to company restructuring, the union is losing ground as far as employee longevity.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – You don't get to negotiate, you start at 11.00 an hour.

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Costco Wholesale in September 2010.

Interview Details – The questions were very general and easy to answer. My background covered most, and I found it to be rather relaxed and enjoyable. I was interviewed individually by a couple of people, then met with the manager for about a minute. I had applied for the front end assistant position, but ultimately landed in another.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at Costco?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Austin, TX

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Costco Wholesale in April 2010.

Interview Details – While the two people interviewing me were very nice and professional the polices Costco has in place about prev. experience not having any factor in job placement. I do not understand how they expect to get top notch people when they start everyone at $11.00 dollars an hours. As a younger person that would be fine but I have ten plus years as a manager I just can not afford to feed my family at that pay.

Reason for Declining – Money

Interviews for Top Jobs at Costco Wholesale

Worked for Costco Wholesale? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Costco Wholesale Front End Assistant interview questions and advice. All 19 interview reviews posted anonymously by Costco Wholesale employees and interview candidates.