Costco Wholesale

2.5

29 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale in October 2014.

I applied online and received a phone call requesting an interview. I arrived on the appointed day and was asked to request certain names for the interview. The person was not there and another person did the interview while someone else sat in and recorded things. The questions were all about experiences I'd had which might make me qualified for work at Costco. Things like "Describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult coworker." "Tell us a time when you showed leadership." All of these I found easy to answer because I work well with a story format. There were no trick questions and the interviewer made me feel pretty comfortable.

I received a call later saying they would like to interview me again, and I arrived for my second interview not sure what I was doing or why, but I met the store manager who gave me another interview, which centered tightly around "Why do you want to work for Costco in specific?" "What do you expect to get out of this?" "What are your goals for pursuing this career path?" "Are you planning to try for a supervisory role in our company?"

I got a call a few days later telling me that they were "Interested in moving forward with the hiring process" which was when I was asked to take the drug test and when the results came back from that a week later, they officially offered me the job and assigned me to an orientation day.

Interview Questions
  • I did not get any questions which I regarded as difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Costco Wholesale

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Commack, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Commack, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale in July 2014.

There was an initial phone call to set up the interview, which occurred later that same day. I was interviewed by a front end manager and a produce manager. They were very professional, seemingly reading from a Human Resources script, but that is how Corporate interviews are conducted. I was very impressed with the front end manager; she seemed to really know what to do, how to do things, how to speak to people without sounding phony. The produce manager impressed as a "newbie" to the process so I perceived he may have been in training on how to conduct interviews. Overall, the interview process, which was considered the first and second interview combined, was easy although it did take place at an extremely disgustingly messy table in the food court.

Interview Questions
    • I honestly don't recall any question being difficult or unexpected. I suppose there could be such issues with someone who does not have much interview experience of this type, meaning very corporate in nature.   Answer Question
    There was really nothing to negotiate at the interview, unless one considers availability as a negotiable point. Even that was relatively benign.

Front End Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Original interview was about 20 minutes. It was a new store, so it was done in a large room with other people being interviewed as well. Basically introductory questions about times, abilities, interests, and things like that.

After being called back for a second interview, there were more questions about what you would do in certain scenarios, as well as explaining past experiences in relation to the position. Also had to drug test.

Interview Questions
    • Asking to give them personal situations were I had shown leadership through struggling times. I was 17 and had no prior job, so I didn't come up with a great answer in my opinion, but some people would have an easy answer to that question.   Answer Question

Front End Assistant Interview

Atleast four interview sequences were required.

Front End Assistant Interview

Very basic questions including your typical strength/weakness question.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question was probably the one on how you multitask and its challenges.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation process. However, everyone starts at 11.50 USD/hour which is probably best in the industry.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morganville, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morganville, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale in October 2013.

Process consisted of 3 interviews. one with a supervisor, then department manager, then store team leader

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if i had any management or school experience   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chula Vista, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chula Vista, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Costco Wholesale in September 2013.

Applied online and went in person to see the hiring manager. I kept checking back with the hiring manager every 2-3 weeks. Be persistent. Keep bugging them and show them you are interested. I gave one of the hiring manager's my resume, and about a few days later I received a call for an interview the following saturday. The interview was conducted in a little room right next to the break room. One of the assistant manager's was in there along with a supervisor and they asked very basic questions like "have you had a job before?" "What is customer service to you?" and a couple scenario questions like "Suppose you had to run back to get an item and a few members stopped you to asked for an item's location. How would you handle that?" After that interview was finished, I received a call about a week later or so for another interview, this time with the warehouse manager. When I met with him, this was in his office. He was really cool and he welcomed me into his office and asked me calmly why I wanted to work there. "Why Costco? What drew you to here as opposed to some other place." I told him that I am very ethics focused--in school I studied philosophy and my area of interest was ethics--and I told him that I liked the fact that Costco was focused on ethics and treating its members and workers properly. After that he asked me some other basic questions like if I had another job, what other experience I have, where I went to school, etc. He was very easy to talk to. He offered me the job right at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • One question that threw me off guard was: Tell me about a time you had a problem with someone and what you did to fix it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pewaukee, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pewaukee, WI

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Costco Wholesale in September 2013.

Submitted my resume online and followed up with a visit to the store and spoke with one of the Asst. Managers. Set up an interview during my visit. Arrived for interview and met with two managers from different departments and then met with the store manager. They offered me the position on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Easy questions strengths, weaknesses, why costco. How did you a handle a situation when you knew you were wrong?   Answer Question

Front End Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Costco Wholesale in September 2013.

Online then a follow up interview by two managers. Most questions were standard such as why i wanted to join costco and prior work experience .

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had conflict with a coworker and how you resolved it   Answer Question

Front End Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Costco Wholesale in May 2013.

Submitted an application online and was contacted the next day. Interviewed with a manager and supervisor first - they asked basic job interview questions, nothing out of the ordinary. After that I interviewed with an assistant GM and she told me I was hired and just needed to pass a background/drug test.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Everyone starts out at the same hourly rate. I did have the option to choose between two positions - either front end assistant or folding clothes all day long (no thanks).