Costco Wholesale

Average Difficulty
24 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Front End Assistant

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Costco Wholesale in May 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted an application online and was contacted the next day. Interviewed with a manager and supervisor first - they asked basic job interview questions, nothing out of the ordinary. After that I interviewed with an assistant GM and she told me I was hired and just needed to pass a background/drug test.

Interview Question – Average questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Everyone starts out at the same hourly rate. I did have the option to choose between two positions - either front end assistant or folding clothes all day long (no thanks).

Front End Assistant

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Interview Details – Original interview was about 20 minutes. It was a new store, so it was done in a large room with other people being interviewed as well. Basically introductory questions about times, abilities, interests, and things like that.

After being called back for a second interview, there were more questions about what you would do in certain scenarios, as well as explaining past experiences in relation to the position. Also had to drug test.

Interview Question – Asking to give them personal situations were I had shown leadership through struggling times. I was 17 and had no prior job, so I didn't come up with a great answer in my opinion, but some people would have an easy answer to that question.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Costco Wholesale

Interview Details – Atleast four interview sequences were required.

Interview Question – How do you deal with adversity?   View Answer

Morganville, NJ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Costco Wholesale in October 2013.

Interview Details – Process consisted of 3 interviews. one with a supervisor, then department manager, then store team leader

Interview Question – I was asked if i had any management or school experience   Answer Question

Chula Vista, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Costco Wholesale in September 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and went in person to see the hiring manager. I kept checking back with the hiring manager every 2-3 weeks. Be persistent. Keep bugging them and show them you are interested. I gave one of the hiring manager's my resume, and about a few days later I received a call for an interview the following saturday. The interview was conducted in a little room right next to the break room. One of the assistant manager's was in there along with a supervisor and they asked very basic questions like "have you had a job before?" "What is customer service to you?" and a couple scenario questions like "Suppose you had to run back to get an item and a few members stopped you to asked for an item's location. How would you handle that?" After that interview was finished, I received a call about a week later or so for another interview, this time with the warehouse manager. When I met with him, this was in his office. He was really cool and he welcomed me into his office and asked me calmly why I wanted to work there. "Why Costco? What drew you to here as opposed to some other place." I told him that I am very ethics focused--in school I studied philosophy and my area of interest was ethics--and I told him that I liked the fact that Costco was focused on ethics and treating its members and workers properly. After that he asked me some other basic questions like if I had another job, what other experience I have, where I went to school, etc. He was very easy to talk to. He offered me the job right at the end of the interview.

Interview Question – One question that threw me off guard was: Tell me about a time you had a problem with someone and what you did to fix it.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Costco Wholesale

Interview Details – Very basic questions including your typical strength/weakness question.

Interview Question – Most difficult question was probably the one on how you multitask and its challenges.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation process. However, everyone starts at 11.50 USD/hour which is probably best in the industry.

Front End Assistant

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Costco Wholesale in September 2013.

Interview Details – Online then a follow up interview by two managers. Most questions were standard such as why i wanted to join costco and prior work experience .

Interview Question – Name a time when you had conflict with a coworker and how you resolved it   Answer Question

Interviewed at Costco Wholesale

Interview Details – I had an in person interview that was mainly behavioral. They asked normal questions starting with "Tell me about a time when"

Interview Question – They asked me about a time when I was asked to do something unethical at work.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate

Very Easy Interview

Burbank, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Costco Wholesale in September 2012.

Interview Details – You cannot get an interview JUST by putting in an online application. You MUST make personal contact with a manager either in person or by phone.

I had 3 interviews, 2 standing at the end of a checkout line and one in the manager's office. They asked very generic HR questions, and the interviews lasted less than 5 minutes.

Interview Question – The last manager asked me to tell him something none of the other interviewees had told him....something about myself that would make me a good Costco employee. Well, I'm not sure how he thought I'd know what the other people had told him! Ridiculous thing to say.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – nothing.

Livonia, MI

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Interview Details – A very easy process. it was a 3 interview process. they ask situational questions and write down what you say. They interviewers were very comforting and easy going. Some of the questions were repetitive but i think they want you to answer all of them in the same manner. Overall compared to other interviews i have been on this was much better.

Interview Question – Multiple interviews with the same managers was very annoying.   Answer Question

Worked for Costco Wholesale? Contribute to the Community!