Costco Wholesale Front End Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Apr 2, 2015
Updated Apr 2, 2015

2.5

Front End Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Costco Wholesale (Salem, OR).

Interview

I had 2 employees and 1 trainee interview me. we sat down in a back room and they briefly told me about the interview process, then one asked questions while the other wrote down my answers. After the interview they said we got more interviews to take and we will contact you by the end of the week about your status.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a time you had to deal with a difficult customer and how you resolved it?

Why do you want to work for Costco?

Tell us about a mistake you made?

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Costco Wholesale

Front End Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Santee, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and in a week received a call from HR manager who was very rood and short to listen. First of all she just wanted to hang up the phone, she was very irritated when I asked her questions. She even didn't try to pronounce my name correctly. But the good news she invited me for the interview.

My interview was scheduled on March 27th, at 3.40 pm (Santee, San Diego) but they started to interview me in 40 minutes. No apologies to me that it took them so long. Then they took me to some small room which was very dirty and papers were all over the floor, then the same person who called me invited me to take a sit. Then she said she is going to ask me only a couple questions and gave me a paper to sign. She asked 3 questions with no interest at all, like she already knew that she is not going to hire me. I came home very disappointed by her attitude to me, that she was very indifferent to my answers. I am a immigrant who has 10 years of experience in my home country where I started from a sales person position and ended up being a supervisor. I want to ask a question of a person who interviewed me: Do you really think I wouldn't handle the front end assistant position with 10 years of experience?!

I think she discriminated me because how you could possibly know who I am if you asked only 3 questions and even didn't ask for my resume when you asked me to bring that. Also, in their application they ask if I received food stamp and I answered 'yes'. I know that they try to show that they care about people who receive food stamps and they are interested to help them by providing a job. But it isn't true. They need your applications only for statistics, that's all.

Today I received a mail that I wasn't selected and it is first time when I am so happy that I was rejected because I don't want to work with people who don't know what their responsibilities are, who don't know how to communicate properly with their clients, who don't treat people fair. I am pretty sure she discriminated me because I speak English with an accent.

I have been in the USA for almost 6 years and I learned English here, I am a hard working person, friendly and all my friends love me, my references will be happy to be my reference and I know I will find a job where I will be appreciated.

It isn't my letter to you that I was rejected, no, at all. It is just a letter to the higher management of Costco to choose accurately their employees because I love Costco,and I shopped a lot there. But after such a "treatment" I won't go there anymore.

I thought I will send her a thank you letter after the interview but I came home and just threw up a piece of paper with the the name of the manager who interviewed me because she doesn't deserve thank you letter.

The only person who was friendly is Sara, who smiled to me for her co-worker too :-)

To the manager who interviewed me: you never smiled to me, please smile and life will smile you back!

Interview Questions

• What do you do if you don't get along with person you work with?   1 Answer

Front End Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Costco Wholesale in March 2015.

Interview

The first interview was with two people in the room and it was explained that there were two people because it would count as my first and second interview. They asked what would you do and how would you handle this situation questions. As well what I knew about the company. At the end they said someone would call in a week or two to either set up another interview or let me know if I wasn't the right person. For the third interview there was only one person and she asked a few more questions and what I knew about the company. She also asked about past employment.

Front End Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Portland, OR) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online and received a phone call requesting an interview. I arrived on the appointed day and was asked to request certain names for the interview. The person was not there and another person did the interview while someone else sat in and recorded things. The questions were all about experiences I'd had which might make me qualified for work at Costco. Things like "Describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult coworker." "Tell us a time when you showed leadership." All of these I found easy to answer because I work well with a story format. There were no trick questions and the interviewer made me feel pretty comfortable.

I received a call later saying they would like to interview me again, and I arrived for my second interview not sure what I was doing or why, but I met the store manager who gave me another interview, which centered tightly around "Why do you want to work for Costco in specific?" "What do you expect to get out of this?" "What are your goals for pursuing this career path?" "Are you planning to try for a supervisory role in our company?"

I got a call a few days later telling me that they were "Interested in moving forward with the hiring process" which was when I was asked to take the drug test and when the results came back from that a week later, they officially offered me the job and assigned me to an orientation day.

Interview Questions

• I did not get any questions which I regarded as difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Front End Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Commack, NY) in July 2014.

Interview

There was an initial phone call to set up the interview, which occurred later that same day. I was interviewed by a front end manager and a produce manager. They were very professional, seemingly reading from a Human Resources script, but that is how Corporate interviews are conducted. I was very impressed with the front end manager; she seemed to really know what to do, how to do things, how to speak to people without sounding phony. The produce manager impressed as a "newbie" to the process so I perceived he may have been in training on how to conduct interviews. Overall, the interview process, which was considered the first and second interview combined, was easy although it did take place at an extremely disgustingly messy table in the food court.

Interview Questions

• I honestly don't recall any question being difficult or unexpected. I suppose there could be such issues with someone who does not have much interview experience of this type, meaning very corporate in nature.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was really nothing to negotiate at the interview, unless one considers availability as a negotiable point. Even that was relatively benign.

Front End Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Interview

Original interview was about 20 minutes. It was a new store, so it was done in a large room with other people being interviewed as well. Basically introductory questions about times, abilities, interests, and things like that.

After being called back for a second interview, there were more questions about what you would do in certain scenarios, as well as explaining past experiences in relation to the position. Also had to drug test.

Interview Questions

• Asking to give them personal situations were I had shown leadership through struggling times. I was 17 and had no prior job, so I didn't come up with a great answer in my opinion, but some people would have an easy answer to that question.   Answer Question

Front End Assistant Interview

Interview

Atleast four interview sequences were required.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with adversity?   1 Answer

Front End Assistant Interview

Interview

Very basic questions including your typical strength/weakness question.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult question was probably the one on how you multitask and its challenges.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation process. However, everyone starts at 11.50 USD/hour which is probably best in the industry.

Front End Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Morganville, NJ) in October 2013.

Interview

Process consisted of 3 interviews. one with a supervisor, then department manager, then store team leader

Interview Questions

• I was asked if i had any management or school experience   Answer Question

Front End Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Chula Vista, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

Applied online and went in person to see the hiring manager. I kept checking back with the hiring manager every 2-3 weeks. Be persistent. Keep bugging them and show them you are interested. I gave one of the hiring manager's my resume, and about a few days later I received a call for an interview the following saturday. The interview was conducted in a little room right next to the break room. One of the assistant manager's was in there along with a supervisor and they asked very basic questions like "have you had a job before?" "What is customer service to you?" and a couple scenario questions like "Suppose you had to run back to get an item and a few members stopped you to asked for an item's location. How would you handle that?" After that interview was finished, I received a call about a week later or so for another interview, this time with the warehouse manager. When I met with him, this was in his office. He was really cool and he welcomed me into his office and asked me calmly why I wanted to work there. "Why Costco? What drew you to here as opposed to some other place." I told him that I am very ethics focused--in school I studied philosophy and my area of interest was ethics--and I told him that I liked the fact that Costco was focused on ethics and treating its members and workers properly. After that he asked me some other basic questions like if I had another job, what other experience I have, where I went to school, etc. He was very easy to talk to. He offered me the job right at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

• One question that threw me off guard was: Tell me about a time you had a problem with someone and what you did to fix it.   Answer Question