Costco Wholesale Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2015
Updated Mar 23, 2015

2.6

Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

I submitted an application online, and they called me about a week later to schedule an interview. They were opening a new store, so they had scheduled several hundred people to come into a hotel lobby, come when called, and sit down at one of many tables for the interview itself. I dressed business casual and answered their questions honestly and brightly, so the first phase of my interview went very quickly. I sat down with two managers. They explained the interview process, and I answered about ten questions about my previous experiences before one of them said that he did not need to hear more and would be sending me up to the next step. I then met with a higher level manager, talked with him a bit about my expectations for retail and where I wanted to go with the company. He wrote a few notes about where I might fit in the store then sent me to a drug screening (saliva collection, not urine or anything too messy). I was called back a few days later with a job offer. I accepted, and then it was on to orientation and canvasing training.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever had a conflict with a coworker and how did you handle it?   View Answer
    There was no real negotiation, because it's an entry-level job and they have a set pay scale.

Service Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Folsom, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Folsom, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Had two interviews. First to go over application and ask basic interview questions. Second interview to offer position if chosen from the first interview. After the preliminary interviews. A background check is performed along with a drug test.

Interview Questions
    • How well do you handle fast paced and sometimes stressful situations?   Answer Question

Front End Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR

I applied online – interviewed at Costco Wholesale.

I had 2 employees and 1 trainee interview me. we sat down in a back room and they briefly told me about the interview process, then one asked questions while the other wrote down my answers. After the interview they said we got more interviews to take and we will contact you by the end of the week about your status.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us a time you had to deal with a difficult customer and how you resolved it?

Why do you want to work for Costco?

Tell us about a mistake you made?

Answer Question

Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant), Etc Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eugene, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eugene, OR

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

I successfully interviewed for FE Assistant as a college student and had multiple interviews within the company during my six years there. First-time hires require three interviews, but two of those take place concurrently. So for my first, I was interviewed by two supervisors, then for the so-called third interview (my second time going in) I was interviewed by an associate manager and introduced to the store manager.

Interview Questions
    • During my first interview they requested, "Talk about yourself for three minutes." (and set an egg timer!)

All interviews I had at Costco were heavily behavior-based. So they didn't ask questions so much as give prompts usually beginning with, "Tell me about a time when…"

For example: when you were challenged, when you faced an ethical dilemma, and so on.

View Answer

Food Court Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Costco Wholesale.

I applied for any position on Feb 21st 2015, I got a call the next day they scheduled me an interview on Feb 24th 2015. They explained to me that they have a part time position in the food court I said yes! I went to my interview got interviewed by 2 girls they were both so nice one was asking me questions while the other one was writing my answers. Then I interviewed the store manager and she was very friendly as well she asked me simple questions and then she asked if I had time to fill out some paperwork so I did, I took a drug test. After that they told me that all that was left was a backroad check and that's what I'm waiting for. Overall it was a really nice interview they were really friendly nothing but good vibes! Hopefully I get a call back soon! :)

Meat Department Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale in March 2015.

Submitted an application online on a Thursday. Had a contact who worked there who gave them my name and application and received a call a week after to set up an interview in the evening the following Monday. Interview is with two supervisors. One asks questions while the other takes notes, then halfway through they switch. Both interviewers were really laid back and easy-going which made me feel comfortably at-ease and not nervous. First interview actually counts as a first and second interview. I applied for a stocker/merchandising position because it said online that they were hiring them, but after the interview said they weren't hiring stockers, so they said it was between Front-End Assistant or in the Meat Department. I got a call back the next day-Tuesday-to schedule a third interview with the Warehouse manager. After the interview I met with HR for my oral swab drug test. After a background check, scheduled my orientation. If you get called for a third interview, you are pretty much hired.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever worked in a situation where you had to get things done in a certain amount of time?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you were required to work as a team.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you had a conflict with a coworker. How did you solve it?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at Costco?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation in which you had to multitask.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you had to deal with an angry customer. How did you resolve it?   Answer Question
    • What was a time you made a mistake? How did you handle it? Were you able to correct it?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you had to do something that required a great deal of accuracy.   Answer Question
    Wasn't much of a negotiation. They start pay for part-time employees at the same level with plenty of chances to move up in pay and hours.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Maplewood, MN
    Anonymous Employee in Maplewood, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale in March 2015.

I applied for many jobs including the cashier position and got a phone call the next day from someone in payroll to come in the following Friday to do an interview. I came in on that Friday and had an interview with two people. Well they were nice except one seemed to be a tad disinterested and they both seemed to crack a couple of inside jokes during the interview. Well when they finished with their questions they told me they wanted to move forward and brought out another person. I spoke with her and she offered me the job and told me that I had to go do my drug testing which I did later that day and that my orientation would be set for two weeks from that point because I had to put in a notice at my other job.

Monday comes and the person who originally called me from payroll called me and left a voice mail. I was busy that day and couldn't call her back until the next day, when I called her she said that she never called me (though she did indeed - the voice mail was proof) and asked if I wanted to come in for an interview. I said that I already came in for an interview and did drug testing and everything and she said that she had no record of that and that she must have lost my paperwork. She then said that I could come in and do another interview and I was like when I did the first interview I TOOK PTO TIME from my other job to come and do this interview and when I was told that I had the job and to do drug testing (which I'm not on drugs so I wasn't worried) that I put in a two week notice and during those two weeks I COULD NOT take time off again. This set off multiple red flags for me and at that moment I decided to just go with plan B. She was like "OK, let me find your paperwork and I'll call you back and set up a time for you to come in and do your orientation, but I only have three days to hire you after we receive your drug test results," I was okay with that but still went ahead and set up my backup.

Well despite being in the two week window still she calls me and is like "you need to come in and do your orientation." Once again I told her I could not take the time off because I am in my two week window with the other job and that I already had the orientation set up for two weeks from when I was hired. I then just decided to tell her that I'm deciding to go with something else and if at some point if I feel the desire that I will apply for Costco again in the future, but I really don't have the time for games or disorganization at this point.

Interview Questions

I declined because they seemed really unorganized and it frightened me a little.

Membership Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH

I applied online – interviewed at Costco Wholesale in March 2015.

was the strangest interview I ever had. They are opening a new store in my area and what they are doing is having the potential candidates work for 60 days Monday through Friday 8-5 selling memberships to area small businesses. based on how you sell and your attitude will determine if they keep you? So it isn't based on your experience or skills you can offer them it seems its based on how many memberships you sell in those 60 days . You will be paired up with another person to do this in the area that the new store is opening. There were only 2 questions asked and the second interview was schedule.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a experience you had with a difficult customer?   Answer Question

Any Openings Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lodi, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Lodi, CA

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

I applied online and in December I walked in and spoke with a supervisor who told me to come back in a couple months since they just hired. I came back in February in the Lodi California . This time I spoke with Matt a supervisor who said if he takes my resume he will mail me a rejection letter. He said they only take onljne. I explained to him I applied online and was told in December to walk in because it's better. He said that he was hired that way too but said he would still district my resume and reject my application.

I followed up with a phone call to a manager who confirmed that he did not know what he talking about. They said they are not hiring but check back in March or April.

Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

so i walked in there with no idea where to go and asked the receipt checker where to go for an interview, they said to go to membership, and then the person at membership radioed for the interviewer. we sat down in the food court and thats where the interview was. he asked a few questions. i knew they were really understaffed because he sounded like he was trying to sell me a car instead of offer me a job. then the second interviewer came. asked a few more questions. got drug testested. and then filled in some final things on the computer. i forgot my social security card but he said it was fine and to call him when i got it.

Interview Questions
    • any customer service experience?   View Answer
    • were there any incidents related to customer service   View Answer
    • what did you want to do with your life before working at costco.   View Answer