Costco Wholesale Interview Questions

Updated Jun 25, 2015

2.6

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Interview

I submitted an application online, and they called me about a week later to schedule an interview. They were opening a new store, so they had scheduled several hundred people to come into a hotel lobby, come when called, and sit down at one of many tables for the interview itself. I dressed business casual and answered their questions honestly and brightly, so the first phase of my interview went very quickly. I sat down with two managers. They explained the interview process, and I answered about ten questions about my previous experiences before one of them said that he did not need to hear more and would be sending me up to the next step. I then met with a higher level manager, talked with him a bit about my expectations for retail and where I wanted to go with the company. He wrote a few notes about where I might fit in the store then sent me to a drug screening (saliva collection, not urine or anything too messy). I was called back a few days later with a job offer. I accepted, and then it was on to orientation and canvasing training.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had a conflict with a coworker and how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no real negotiation, because it's an entry-level job and they have a set pay scale.

Order Picker Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Interview

Looked at sign up sheet at the door, it looks like I'm the only applicant going in for an interview and everyone else were employee. Two guys interviewed me on the spot day. I answered to them very straight forwardly and that was it; they told me to come back the next day for drug and background.

Interview Questions

• Do you know what this job is, or the nature of this "business center"? What have you done to prepare for this interview? Why costco? Where do you see yourself from 5 years? Have you ever done anything wrong at your job? This job will be tough and long, can you handle it?   1 Answer

Stocker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

High-stress. The interviewer was a gruff, troubled guy. The guy was as cold as ice and I only beat the interview through feigning overconfidence in the position. I wish I had never applied to that hellhole of a place. It is no more than a deathtrap.

Interview Questions

• Previous Experience dealing with difficult customers   1 Answer

Costco Night Stocker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Pittsburgh, PA) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview was kinda rigorous in my opinion. The interviewer was extremely distant and cold but I made it through it. The questions were more thought provoking than straightforward ones.

I found another job.

Cart Pusher Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Costco Wholesale in June 2015.

Interview

I got a call and was told the interview would be on Monday. I came in to find out the managers were in a meeting and I may wait for more than an hour, I found it very odd but I waited. An assistant manager got to me and told me the interview was on Sunday and that I made a very bad first impression, I told him I know what I was told but he refused to believe it because "They would never say you have an interview on Monday we have meetings then" or something along those lines. Incredibly bad logic for why the wrong word can't come out of someone's mouth. He said if I wanted I can interview with someone anyway so of course I did. Not surprising I didn't get an offer

Lesson learned, when scheduling interviews confirm dates.

Costco: I've applied at many retail stores and most of them have sent me email confirmations for interviews. I would appreciate a system where I actually have documentation for these sorts of things. I understand this is an isolated incident and doesn't happen that often but job seekers are generally applying at multiple locations so email confirmations for interviews are useful anyway.

Interview Questions

• Generally just "are you ok with this, that" and "I have this question about your experience" sort of things. Two people there so it apparently counted as two interviews even though only one talked.   Answer Question

Never Told Me Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tigard, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Tigard, OR) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied during the summer on a Tuesday...Got called on Thursday...Interviewed on Friday…Received an email on Saturday.

The interview process felt a bit rushed and the two ladies who interviewed me either weren't prepared or didn't take the interview seriously. They almost came off as if they were being forced to conduct the interview and that I was wasting their time. We interviewed in a back room behind the break room where a couple people kept walking through.
    They only asked me about 4 questions before they left the room in search of two men to ask me further questions but eventually came back because the others were too busy at the moment. They then told me one of the men would give me a call if they wanted to interview further, and the interview was over.
    All in all the interview took around 20 mins.

I ended up getting a generic email the next day saying that I have not been selected for hire.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Single interview with a manager. One on one. Generic questions. Drug test within a week. Just tell them you are committed to the company

Interview Questions

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Interview

Applied online and waited a few days. Walked in store to introduce myself to manager and he told me to come back the next day as it was too busy. When I came back it turned out to be an interview. He and the assistant manager sat down with me at the food court and asked about 20-25 questions. Majority of them were situational ("describe a time when..."). That's what made it tough. They were friendly and assisted with questions I didn't fully understand. I got called for a 2nd interview a couple days later and had a drug test that same day. Overall, average-tough interview but it's worth it in the end! Got offered a seasonal job and eventually was offered a permanent position in the bakery! Great company to work for!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you exhibited teamwork and how it benefited the company.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vallejo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Vallejo, CA).

Interview

After applying on line, it took a long time before getting called. Once called, I went in and met with one of the Upper Managers, they asked a number of standard questions including, "what would you do if's" and done.

Interview Questions

• Don't recall, other than standard q's about Experiences, etc.   1 Answer

Frond End Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Issaquah, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Issaquah, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

I have been in US for almost 16 months. In my country we don't have Costco. So Costco is a completely new company to me. People speak highly about it., they often say Costco provides excellent benefits to their employees. I have been trying to find a job for more than half year. But you know, it's not that easy to a new immigrant whose native language is not english. Fortunately, there is a Costco near by my home. I have heard people say that if you want to work for retail or wholesales, Costco would be the NO.1 choice. I have tried to apply for a job from their website for almost 10 times, but nothing happened. No phone call. I asked other people, they said if you really want to work at there. You had better just walk in to their warehouse and talk to their manager. One day, I decided to try. I knew who the boss is in that store, I found a chance to talk to him. He asked me to talk to their HR manager of this warehouse. I brought my resume and I was lucky to find him on that day. He was interviewing someone else, he asked me to wait for awhile before he interviews me. I was a bit surprised about that. Because I didn't prepare for an interview, I thought I would just give him my resume, and if I am lucky I would hear something from them in the future. But he arranged an interview right away. Our interview happened in a computer servers room. No window and noisy. HR manager and his assistant asked me about 10 questions based on a list, and that assistant wrote down my answers on the list. The manager was busy, so he had to leave for a while sometimes. But at the end of the interview he was sitting on the chair to listen to me. He was happy about my answers and said he is glad that I came to an interview today. I was very happy too. I am glad that I was appreciated by someone else. I thought it was done after he asked me to sign on their opening position paper of food court. But he said I will have another interview with food court manager. He was a serious man and asked me some questions. But he had his concerns which were I had no food operating experience. Of course I cook at home, but that is not counted. After the interview with him, I was not that confident. He said he needs to talk with HR manager. After a few minutes, they both came into that office and told me that the plan was changed. I would no longer work at food court, but front end instead. Then they provided me a drug test and processes a background check of me. And now I will stat my work soon.
    Overall, they are all nice persons but also strict about picking up the ideal candidates. I didn't feel nervous at the first interview, the second one was a bit. Anyway, if you really want to work at Costco, just walk in to talk, at least leave an impression to them. You will be successful if you are a persistent person.

Interview Questions

• Most of them were behavior questions, like if your team member made a mistake, what would you do? If you made a mistake, what would you do? and how to fix it? How did you deal with an unsatisfied customer? What is your biggest weakness? What would you do if you are a new one in the team without hands on experience?   Answer Question