Costco Wholesale Interview Questions

Updated Apr 26, 2015

2.6

Stocker Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale in October 2014.

Interview

It took about 1.5 weeks for them to contact me over the phone for the first interview. During the first interview, 2 managers asked me questions. One was in charge of writing down my answers and the other one was in charge of asking me questions. The latter asked me questions from a list of questions down a sheet of paper. After the 1st interview they called me back for the 2nd interview within the following day. During the 2nd interview, the manager of the warehouse interviewed me and asked me more simpler questions than the first 2 managers. The 2nd interview only took about 10 minutes while the 1st one took about 25-30 minutes. When I got done with my 2nd interview they made me sign a paper that request i do a drug test. They made me swap my cheeks. I passed and after that they said they'll call me back in for a background check and I should be good to go.

Interview Questions

• Describe what you didn't enjoy about your first job. Describe what you most enjoyed about your current job.   1 Answer

Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Fort Worth, TX).

Interview

Applied online, had an interview within a couple of weeks. Individual interview with two managers, after that, an interview with senior management (Store or assistant store manager) background/drug test and then an offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't know about salary negotiation at time of interview (young and inexperienced).

Front End Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online and called the next day to inquire about open positions. I was told to call back the following Monday and speak to the front end manager. I did so and he asked me to come in that day for an interview. The interview took about 20 minutes. Typical customer service interview questions, nothing unusual. If you have previous customer service or retail experience, you shouldn't have any problems with the interview process. The front end manager that interviewed me said he would offer me the job right there but he thought the merchandising/stocking manager might like to speak with me as my most recent experience was with support in a retail setting. He said if I don't hear from her in a week to give him a call back and he'd make me an offer. Overall a good interview experience!

Interview Questions

• What did you do to prepare for this interview?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time that you dealt with an angry customer and how did you handle it?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time that you needed to work with a sense of urgency and how did you handle it?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time that you had to change your shift or schedule at the last minute and how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Nothing negotiated yet. Waiting to hear from the merchandising/stocking manager before the front end manager makes me an official offer. But I was told I'd definitely have a position within the store.

Any Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Independence, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Independence, MO).

Interview

Be clean cut, cheerful, a strong fan of Costco. Do your research on the company and tell them why you want to work there. Know the code of ethics. Express your willingness to work hard and at any position. Share your skills and desire to learn all about the opportunities available at Costco. Also, express your desire to learn and take advantage of cross training opportunities.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle your most difficult work related situation and how did you resolve it? Also know the code of ethics (found on the website)   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Interview

So far I've gotten my phone screening to see if I pass initial criteria for the job. It was pretty straightforward. Since I was going on vacation the first time they called they told me to call them back when I got home. I did and we set up for the formal interview.

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Costco Wholesale.

Interview

Went in early and forgot the interview managers name. Sat about 30 minutes in the break room before the interview manager came and apologized as there were a lot of people up front that needed help. After interviewing me, I got the rundown of how the base pay is $11.50 and it is not negotiable. He said the job is seasonal and will guarantee that I will work for 20-25 hours a week. After the season, they will reevaluate you and see if your performance matches their charts and see if your seasonal job gets changed to a full part time job offer. Overall I had a great interview. Interviewer was relaxed, and it wasn't the two person tag team interview like the one stated on here, it was just one person, and it was the food court manager. He had an opening in his department and also the meat department. He told me that my next interview will be the assistant GM, but the assistant GM is not available today so he will give me a call later on to schedule me for interview number 2.

Interview Questions

• No difficulty. All questions were stated on here already. Some question that I got include:

- Why do you want to work at Costco?

-Tell me a time when you made a mistake and what steps did you do to fix this mistake.

Answer Question

Stocker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gig Harbor, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Gig Harbor, WA) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied every six months 3 times. This last time I applied was during their seasonal hiring period which is around Sept October. I was called in for an interview and was left waiting for an hour in the break room and had to go and find someone to remind them I was there. Which was fine, I wanted the job. There were 2 people interviewing me. One was supposed to listen and take notes as the other riddled off open ended questions like "Talk about a time you dealt with a difficult customer and how did you deal with that?" It turned into them both asking questions about my other jobs and cracking jokes and laughing, it was great. At the end I was told that I wouldnt have to do the second interview because the first went so well. So for my final interview I had to talk to the Assistant warehouse manager. The interview went well and I was asked to work in the food court. It didnt work with my schedule so she suggested morning stocking shift. She said they would hire in another 4 weeks but I started orientation that week.

Interview Questions

• Think about a time you had a conflict with a fellow employee what happened and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They told me it would be seasonal and that I would lose my job on the first on January. And I would work for 11.50 an hour.

Seasonal Cashier Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Houston, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

After completing application online, I received a call 3 days later for an interview. I interviewed with the assistant manager first. She liked me, so I was called back for a 2nd interview. The 2nd interview was primarily to discuss my holiday availability. He noted that I was related to a current employee and would have to contact his manager to see if I could be hired. I knew then it was a no go. Shortly afterwards, I received a "thank you for your interest, but unfortunately..." e-mail.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working for Costco?   Answer Question
    • How do you handle irate customers?   Answer Question
    • How do you handle last minutes schedule changes?   Answer Question
    • Have you worked with someone you didn't like? How do you deal with that person?   1 Answer

Front End Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Portland, OR) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online and received a phone call requesting an interview. I arrived on the appointed day and was asked to request certain names for the interview. The person was not there and another person did the interview while someone else sat in and recorded things. The questions were all about experiences I'd had which might make me qualified for work at Costco. Things like "Describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult coworker." "Tell us a time when you showed leadership." All of these I found easy to answer because I work well with a story format. There were no trick questions and the interviewer made me feel pretty comfortable.

I received a call later saying they would like to interview me again, and I arrived for my second interview not sure what I was doing or why, but I met the store manager who gave me another interview, which centered tightly around "Why do you want to work for Costco in specific?" "What do you expect to get out of this?" "What are your goals for pursuing this career path?" "Are you planning to try for a supervisory role in our company?"

I got a call a few days later telling me that they were "Interested in moving forward with the hiring process" which was when I was asked to take the drug test and when the results came back from that a week later, they officially offered me the job and assigned me to an orientation day.

Interview Questions

• I did not get any questions which I regarded as difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Stocking Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Costco Wholesale (Cleveland, OH) in October 2014.

Interview

Put an application on their website. Got called for an interview two days later. Interviewed with the general manager and a department manager. Was about fifteen minutes. Basic retail questions. They then told me I would move onto the next interview. Got a call two days later. Interviewed with the warehouse General manager and was offered the job. Did drug test on-site..and waited for the background check.

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest weakness?   1 Answer

Negotiation

None. Great offer for the work being done.