Cotton On

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Cotton On in October 2012.

I filled in an online application, was called about 3 weeks later and told I would have an interview, didn't realize until I received a follow-up email from them that it would be a "group interview". Arrived at the store and was told they were running late but was later lead out into the food court in the mall and asked to sit down at 4 or 5 tables they had pulled together for the group interview. There were about 10 "hopefuls" and 3 managers from Cotton On interviewing. It was lunch time so we had to compete with the lunch time noise in the food court, in addition to eachother. First, we filled out another application, 3 pages. Next we were told to spend 5 minutes talking to the person next to us, which we would then "sell" to the 3 managers. Note: the person I was talking to took up most of the time asking me questions which left me with little info on her to use for my presentation, so be careful about that. Next, we were told to write down a few notes about ourselves (given about 3 minutes to do it) and told to "sell" ourselves to the 3 managers. All of this was done in front of the other people, so it was a little uncomfortable but mostly because I felt like I couldn't take up a lot of time because others were waiting. They did not ask any other questions I have seen on other blogs. They told us at the beginning that they were not hiring "smiles" but people who could sell their products (although in the many times I have gone into Cotton On, no one has ever offered to help me). Afterwards, one of the managers gave a little talk about what they felt customer service was. They said anyone hired would be notified after 5 PM that day and would have to come back to the mall that night to fill out additional paper work, some said they could not come back that night and would have to come another time if hired, to fill out the paperwork, the 3 managers seemed OK with that. Please note that I was NOT hired. My overall opinion of the process was not very good. I would much more have preferred a personal interview where I would have felt I had more time to talk. I get the strong feeling that they are looking for the typical "perky" salesperson, so in addition to any other skills you have, if you are so inclined to get this job please try to find the "perky" factor before you go to the interview. I am friendly and personable but have never been "perky" and I am not the type of person to fake the perky stuff, even for a job interview! I am glad that I went to the inteview because I now have experience with group interviews. They do have nice clothes, good prices. I hope this will be helpful to you!

Interview Questions
  • They asked if we would be willing to work at two other additional locations besides the one we were interviewing at.   Answer Question