County of Santa Barbara

Relevance Date Difficulty

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources
Santa Barbara, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 days - interviewed at County of Santa Barbara in January 2014.

Interview Details – Name a difficult situation that you handle well. Job experience. Can you work under pressure? Have you worked in the government work? They will call you for an afternoon interview. It looks well to be early. The interview itself is a standard interview, nothing too difficult.

Interview Question – Name one example where you had to deal with a difficult client and what you did   Answer Question

Deputy Public Defender Interview

Deputy Public Defender
Santa Barbara, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at County of Santa Barbara.

Interview Details – Submit application. Reference letters help. Called for interview and met with three attorneys. Talked about experience and philosophy. Several canned questions that were easy for experienced trial attorney. Will usually be an ethics question and another pertaining to how you would handle difficult client who insists on making bad decision.

Interview Question – What do you do when mentally ill client insists on a trial when the DA is making a generous off that will allow the client to be released.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I negotiated for quicker promotions and raises as I was starting at a lower level than my previous position and experience called for. They accepted my conditions and I started two weeks later.

Sheriff's Sergeant Interview

Sheriff's Sergeant

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at County of Santa Barbara in June 2009.

Interview Details – Typically what you would expect from a local law enforcement organization. Most study and prep guides will adequately prepare a candidate for the process.

Interview Question – There will be an interview question dealing with an ethical issue, most likely coupled with a political component. Consider this: you conduct a traffic stop and suspect that the driver is intoxicated. You eventually learn that the driver is the assistant chief of a nearby police department. What do you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Nothing is negotiable with government service - however the compensation is fair and worthwhile.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for County of Santa Barbara? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at County of Santa Barbara interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by County of Santa Barbara employees and interview candidates.