Coupa Software Inc

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

3.1

Ruby On Rails Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Coupa Software Inc in September 2014.

I applied online on the company website. Got an email from the Senior Manager in a couple of days who reviewed my application. We scheduled a phone screen for the next week.

Phone Screen Experience :
    --------------------------------
    Got the call on scheduled time. We discussed about my experience first when he told me that they are looking for people who can join immediately. We still continued with the interview process.
    Most of the questions were from the domain of Ruby on Rails and in general CS skills. I answered few correctly, screwed up in few. All in all, it was a fair discussion. In the end, I asked him a lot of questions about the company and the projects that they are working on currently and may work in future.

List of Questions :
    ---------------------
    1. Tell me about yourself and your experience overall
    3. Different associations in rails. How to implement them ?
    4. An indirect question on Eager Loading
    5. OO Design for Parking lot for a company. Why your design is performant ? [ We had a small debate here ]
    6. Tell me different design patterns you know/you have used

Outcome :
    -------------
    The next day, I received a mail from the Senior Manager who told me to recheck with them once I graduate in Jan 2015. He told me they had immediate requirement and they do not have a policy to offer and wait for 3-4 months [which is understandable]

Interview Questions
    • 2. How can we use module methods as class methods in model and as instance methods in controllers ? Elaborate.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Coupa Software Inc.

Contacted by a recruiter. She scheduled a phone screen with a engineer in coupa. The engineer talked to me on the phone and said he would like to do a formal technical phone interview with me next week and he didn't call me by then. Then the recruiter called me said he was out of schedule on that day and would like to schedule another time with me. I agreed. But he stood me up again. It was so unprofessional. Two months later, another recruiter submit my resume to this company again. A engineer talked to me on the phone with an attitude. A week later, they said they would move forward with me. I hate this company and the people I talked to are rude.

Sales Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Coupa Software Inc.

Lots of interviews to make sure you're an A candidate. I consider this a good thing. Easy going conversations, one guy a total bully but could have been testing me. Getting the chance to speak with peers is also good although I suspect they were not being 100% truthful about some topics. Office is an old bank, being in a vault is an unexpected twist.

I declined because pay was very low. I also felt backed into a corner, take it or leave it offer. Hiring Manger not willing to negotiate at all, using the CEO as an excuse.

Senior Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Coupa Software Inc in March 2014.

I got in contact with Coupa through a graduate school program. The first person I spoke with was very insightful and encouraged me to come out for a full interview onsite. I did so, but at the interview itself things were very disorganized. There office space is dismal. There are no offices or conference rooms so we spoke in the mini-kitchen. When I got to the site, the interviewer was late coming back from lunch so I had to wait 30 minutes. This was obviously not a gimmick. This was literally a lack of care for candidate's time. I came back for a second interview and was supposed to talk to 4 people., but only 2 people were available so the company had 2 junior engineers fill in to talk to me about PMO work. They apologized when they met me and said they had not reviewed my resume nor did they know what position I was hiring for. I would not recommend this company for any experienced individuals. There were a few senior people in the company who I really enjoyed meeting with, but overall tey just did not treat the process professionally.

Senior DevOps/Cloud Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Coupa Software Inc.

I completed the interview process with Coupa. My first interview was with the hiring manager who asked me some technical questions. We had a difficult call connection and I had a hard time understanding his accent, but we pushed through it and I was passed onto interview round two. For round two, I met with a nice guy in Del Mar, California at a satellite office. Ed was really great to talk to and recommended me for the position. The next set of interviews required me to actually travel from San Diego county all the way to San Mateo up near San Francisco. Here I met all kinds of people who all seemed really nice. The office was rather crowde and there were lots of people walking around while talking on the phone. I was at Coupa for about 5 hours this day getting interviewed by many (6) different people. I was grilled over and over again and did pretty good for the most part.

I found out the next day that Coupa had decided to pass on me and continue looking for candidates. A couple of days later, my recruiter informed me that Coupa actually did want to hire me, but they had to create a new position first (the original DevOps position I interviewed for apparently turned more into a development position than DevOps). They received CEO approval to create a new Cloud Support Engineer position from what I was told.

The next step was for me to go and meet the hiring manager in person since he wasn't around during my first visit to their San Mateo office. My recruiter told me that this would only be to meet the hiring manager in person and that chances are there would be an offer while I was there. Finally! The downside is it seemed like a bit of a hassle considering the 1,000 mile round-trip journey I would once again be required to make. The company seemed like a good one so I have been waiting since last Thursday (today is Monday) to find out when they want me to get back up there. Today I found out that instead of the interview, they would once again pass me up for something else.

The bottom line is they have excellent benefits from what I was told, the pay was competitive and the stock options I would have (from what I was told) received just prior to an apparent IPO would have been fantastic.

They dragged their feet (I actually turned down another job offer to work for Coupa because the recruiter said I had a 99.9% chance of getting the job), passed me up, gave me more hope by creating a new position for me, dragged their feet once again, and then passed me up once again. Fickle and mean!

Interview Questions
    • I was interviewing for a DevOps role. When I got there, they interviewed me for a Senior DevOps Engineer role with more focus on the development side than ops. That was a bit confusing as I am stronger on the ops side of things.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Coupa Software Inc in January 2014.

First I had a phone interview and that went well, so then I had an onsite interview which didn't go well. Most of the questions were SQL related and it had been a long time since I had to write straight SQL statements. They decided I didn't have enough knowledge for the position but then I was interviewed for a different one. I had 4 additional phone interviews which varied between technical questions and getting to know you questions. Throughout the entire process I got a really good vibe from everyone I talked to and interacted with which made me all the more interested in the company.

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate anything. They came in at the lower end of my range and I wanted to ask for more, especially with the expenses it would take to get to work each day, but I was too scared to. I figured the generous vacation policy more than makes up for it, though.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Coupa Software Inc in November 2013.

Everyone seemed very nice. I would not say that interview was super technical. In my opinion just right. Enough to make sure you know what they need you to know and not ridiculous to the point of having to remember CS theory and some things that you can google for.
    There was a technical part, they conversation about goals and interests in general.

Interview Questions
    • I guess i've done enough interviews to be almost ready for anything, but i always struggle when i am asked about the biggest challenge at work.   Answer Question
    Somewhat easy, had to go back and forth as i already had a good salary and did not want to give that up easily

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Coupa Software Inc.

Phone screens and interviews at headquarters in San Mateo

Director Level Within Marketing Department Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Coupa Software Inc in May 2012.

I was introduced to this opening by a recruiter and secured an in-person interview with the hiring manager. It was pushed back multiple times and the morning we were scheduled to meet, I arrived on time. I was told the manager was in a meeting so I had a seat. I could actually see the office the manager was in, meeting with other people. I didn't see anybody go to that office to let the manager know I arrived and this manager didn't seem aware of an overlapping meeting. The manager came out about 30 min. later asking to reschedule... again. When we finally met, it was a good conversation. My follow up email went unanswered. Months later I received an email asking to come back for another round. By then, I had already moved forward with other opportunities. During my 30-min. wait in the lobby area, no fewer than 6 employees asked if I was doing OK or if I needed anything when they saw me waiting. I thought that was pretty awesome. When doing my due diligence pre interview, I heard a lot of good things about the people at this company, and people make all the difference. They lived up to that reputation based on my brief encounters.

didn't feel valued as a candidate and it raised a red flag with regard to how I might be treated as an employee.

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Coupa Software Inc in February 2012.

I had a 1-hour phone interview with the Product Manager, consisting of a few technical questions from the Head Developer and a design challenge (prepared in advance), with follow-up questions challenging my design solution. The interviewer was very courteous and easy to talk to, and offered to give me some professional advice after I failed to make it to the next round. Turns out I was under-qualified for the position, but overall it seems like Coupa is a very robust company with down-to-earth people.

Interview Questions
    • How would you redesign this interface for a child?   View Answer

Worked for Coupa Software Inc? Contribute to the Community!