Course Hero

Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Development Interview

Business Development
Redwood City, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Course Hero in May 2013.

Interview Details – Simple phone interview that is mainly behavioral and the goal was to assess your social network and prior interest or experience in voluntary work. Discuss any extracurricular activity that demonstrates your ability to spread awareness or cooperate as a team.

Negotiation Details – The compensation and wage is completely determined on your ability to acquire study tools to upload on the database.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

Interviewed at Course Hero

Interview Details – My interview process consisted of three interviews. The first interview was conducted over the phone and was non-technical. The second and third interviews technical interviews on Google Hangouts. In the technical interviews, the interviewer and I worked on coderpad.io. I was given a few small coding challenges and was allowed to choose which language to use.

Interview Question – Make a program that returns true if an input string is a palindrome, or false otherwise.   Answer Question

Business Development Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Course Hero in November 2013.

Interview Details – Found and applied for the position posted on a school job listing site. Contacted me within a week or two with an email asking if I was still interested. Was given a phone interview with standard behavioral questions. Then was asked a couple of questions via email to see if I understood the program. One question was to explain what Course Hero was and how it worked and another was to explain the Internship Guide and how I demonstrated skills listed inside it.

Interview Questions

• Please explain a time you had to market or sell something on campus. What where some of the difficulties you faced and how did you overcome them?   Answer Question
  • Please describe your influence and reach on campus. How can you help spread this program to a large number of students?   Answer Question

Business Development Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Course Hero.

Interview Details – There was a series of two phone interviews both with the same person who was eventually my superior throughout my time at Course Hero. The phone interview was personality based and ensuring that you're able to talk to people and a competent person. Some research was necessary on Course Hero such as what do they do, what is the Knowledge Drive, the coolest features, ways they could improve the experience etc, so make sure you are well versed on their platform. The second interview was discussing my past leadership experiences and talking through my resume as well as my connections within my University and how I would reach out to the students.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was regarding my knowledge of the Course Hero Knowledge Drive platform so make sure you do your research and know what it is about, the incentives and bonuses to utilizing the Knowledge Drive.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, it was an accept or decline offer.

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Redwood Shores, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Course Hero in February 2014.

Interview Details – Was referred to the hiring manager via a friend of a friend. Took a month for a phone call to happen between me and the hiring manager. Phone call was relaxed and no difficult questions, more so focused on my background/experience. The guy I talked to did mention that for people applying to PM roles, they ask candidates to complete a "strategy project" on 1 of 2 possible subject (potential products for the company) to later present in person (typical formats were Word or Powerpoint).

I got an email from him the next day saying it was a pleasure to talk and giving details on the strategy project. In his email, he outlined the problem, current document model, and things to consider. He said I was more than welcome to contact him with any questions via cell or email as I worked through things. I indeed did ask him one or two things and he responded quickly, which was nice.

I submitted my final presentation to him by the given deadline and went in to talk about it more in person a few days later. The in person interview was with just the hiring manager (same person I had talked to all along) and was mainly about how I had approached the project and how & why I said I would've done things (as stated in my presentation). Then there was some time for Q&A from me to him, where I was asked my availability and salary expectations.

I received an email response the next day saying I was being passed on. Reasoning was the hiring manager was looking for someone with more experience regarding the other potential product they wanted to launch (the other strategy project I could've chosen to prepare). Seemed like a soft blow/save face reason given those skills weren't in the job description then, nor are they now as the job is re-listed.

Interview Question – How would you drive long term value from customers?   Answer Question

Business Development Interview

Business Development

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Course Hero.

Interview Details – The phone interview was very comfortable. Typical interview questions that anyone should be prepared for (e.g. why you would be a good fit for the company, experience, name a time when you...)

Interview Question – The most difficult question I struggled with was when I was asked if I've ever dealt with conflict in the workplace because of prior work experience, but you can easily turn it around and say what you would do in that given situation.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was offered to move up to Student Manager but I was offered an internship at home which I took.

Jacksonville, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Course Hero in August 2013.

Interview Details – 1. First set of email questions
2. Phone interview
3. Second set of email questions
4. Accepted into program or denied from program

Interview Question – I was asked about what my favorite resource was on the Course Hero site which caught me off guard since I had not created an account yet.   View Answer

Business Development Intern

I applied online and interviewed at Course Hero.

Interview Details – 1. applied online, submitted resume. 2. Got the phone call interview. It was about 30 minutes. 3. Interview questions were mainly about your educational background, extracurricular activities, related work experiences, why and how you would like to join the team.

Interview Question – There were no very difficult questions that I could think of. But this question I think is good to point out: How would you utilize your current network in your internship if you get and accept the offer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – compensation based upon performance.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

Interviewed at Course Hero

Interview Details – phone interview (with engineer) -> in person interview (with two engineers and potentially the CTO) -> culture fit interview (with CEO)

Interview Question – All questions were fairly equal in difficulty. They had SQL and PHP. Tough for junior engineers but farily simple for senior engineers   Answer Question

UI Designer Interview

UI Designer
Redwood City, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Course Hero in February 2013.

Interview Details – I remember that the interview process was swift and thorough. It started with a phone screen, which led to an interview, which led to a trial design project. All the while communication was great, and I was well-informed of my place in the process. They were well ahead of most other companies I was simultaneously interviewing for. Meeting our very friendly and smart CEO during the process was a huge plus, and he gave me a very warm welcome upon my acceptance of the offer.

Interview Question – I had not worked with .sass or .scss before, so I was a little nervous that I was not familiar with some of the technical aspects of the position. Luckily the lead designer made this coding transition for me very seamless upon accepting the position.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Course Hero

Worked for Course Hero? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Course Hero interview questions and advice. All 23 interview reviews posted anonymously by Course Hero employees and interview candidates.