Coutts & Co

Updated Oct 30, 2014
Updated Oct 30, 2014

Client Service Support Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Coutts & Co in May 2014.

application and feedback was quick. Was contacted by manager of client service department for telephone interview which lasted 30min. The interview was behavioural questions. describe your greatest achievement and why? and last 5 min was a listening exercise. The interviewer was friendly and remained very neutral throughout the telephone interview. 3 hours after the interview they emailed me that I was not successful

Intranet Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Coutts & Co in January 2012.

I was contacted by a recruiter about an Intranet Manager role, and it sounded like a good fit. I attended an initial interview with the hiring manager, and I felt it didn't go well. She was standoffish and almost mocking when asking me about my previous work experience.

I was surprised when I was invited for a second interview, but thought maybe the hiring managers cold manner was just her style.

The second interview was held in a Starbucks coffee shop near the Coutts offices, but rather than being with anyone with authority, it was with a man who said he had been hired as a freelance consultant by Coutts and didn't elaborate any further. He didn't ask about anything specific, which I thought odd, and when asked specifically "what is the purpose of this interview?" he replied "it's just a chat".

Within minutes of leaving the interview, I received a call from the recruiter to say I was unsuccessful in the role, without any further explanation. I expressed my concern about the interview to the recruiter, and she said no one she submitted for the role was hired.

A strange experience, but enough to put me off ever being involved with Coutts and Co again.

Interview Questions
    • Did you manage an intranet site, or was it just a sub site of another intranet?   View Answer

Specialist Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Coutts & Co in August 2011.

Job specific questions on past experience
    Personality were heavily questioned - due to the role

Interview Questions
    • What is your biggest issue faced and how did you manage to solve it?   View Answer

got a better opportunity else where

Risk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Coutts & Co in May 2010.

4 business interviews - 1 exec management in UK; 2 regional business exec mgrs. (incl. Country Manager). Regional Risk mgr. One with HR.
    Interview process was very much by the numbers, following the HR policy to a tee.
    I found however that many interview processes have lost the candidate as response time from London (to Asia) was excessive. I was fortunate that the hiring manager was fresh from UK and had worked for the company many years and as such could 'call in favours'. It was not so much a case of a lack of eagerness to meet with people, but turnaround times from HR were 'blamed' rightly or wrongly in my case. I was patient, but with two or three other offers in the market this company would have lost.
    One issue I had was a lack of meeting peers in my division. It appeared as if they were hidden away. Not an error to be repeated if one is to build up a better idea of who you will be working with - especially if in a role where you are the 'Change champion' for the division.
    I would say that the overall experience was fair and even for a senior hire, but i was very prepared.

Interview Questions
    • Derivatives. Futures activity. Quite advanced questioning for a Private Bank. Felt more like questioning for an Investment Bank. Perhaps this was their benchmark for the level of deep credit knowledge. Surprisingly this knowledge was then 'rarely applied' when in the role.   View Answer
    Pretty straight forward and hiring manager had decent influence over HR. Transparent.

Private Banking Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Coutts & Co in July 2008.

Was invited to assessment centre. It took place in a centre near Liverpool Street, and is not an Coutts owned building (ie was rented for this event).

This consisted of a 2:1 interview with two Coutts Private Bankers, an interview with an HR Partner, and a "client meeting" role play with a Business Partner.

The Coutts staff were very friendly, and it was obvious they were trying get to know you rather than try catch you out.

Interview Questions
    • Can you give an example of when you worked with others to achieve a team goal.   Answer Question
    • Why did you apply for this position?   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate salary, but I recommend others to try.