Covance

Updated Nov 26, 2014

3.2

Sourcing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Covance in November 2014.

Process took about 4 weeks. Initially applied online and got a phone screen request the same day I applied. Got past that (took about 15 minutes), then was scheduled for a phone interview with the hiring manager. The process was about half an hour and more of a "getting to know you" interview. Was scheduled for the onsite soon after (about a week) and met with a team of 3 people. Whole on site took approx. 3 hours.

Behavioral based interviews are used on-site - the questions are okay, fairly easy. I found the HR/Recruiting function very strange because they are not based at the Corporate Office; but outsourced to a third party in the Portland/Seattle area (red flag). The initial person who screened me was very good, but the Recruiter out of the Northwest seemed to be a little "discombobulated".

Overall, halfway through the interview I realized I didn't want the position but was polite enough to continue on (seems the fit wasn't there on the Covance side as well so it worked out the way it was supposed to;). I enjoyed meeting the hiring manager and the team but knew I wasn't going to leave New York to go to Princeton. Otherwise, nice team; Company seems a bit "backwards" and staff appears overworked and overextended (and the buyout by Labcorp makes it seem as if there is more volatility ahead) - but nice folks, and an overall positive interview experience though it is VERY odd to me how the Recruiters are based in the Northwest and are NOT direct Covance employees...

Project Manager - Early Clinical Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Covance in May 2014.

The interview process took approximately 9 weeks. Two weeks following online submission, an email was received to schedule a phone screen that took place a week later. No communication nor followup thereafter. About 3 weeks later a telephone interview was requested and completed. No communication nor followup for another 2 weeks. Then, a F2F interview in Princeton (on Covance) was requested and scheduled 2 weeks later! As exhausting and disconnected as the preliminary interviewing process was, I remained positive as I was enthusiastically interested in the position and Covance at the time. Little did I know things would only get worse from there..

A formal presentation was required for the interview which turned out to be a complete waste of time given how much time went into preparation. Five team members were expected to participate in the F2F interview - only 1 was present. Never mind the amount of time taken to work on the presentation (and the 4 wasted copies of the slides). I was instead asked to 'review' the slides during a group TC. The questions were general PM questions, nothing specific, situational, etc., which I found odd.

At this point, considering the representing project team members and the slow interview process, I was no longer interested in working for the company which I expressed to HR. To top everything off, my credit card was charged for the overnight hotel stay in Princeton - twice! The charge was reversed immediately following check out, only to be charged/reversed again 2 months later!

Bio Statistician II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Initial contact by email after an online application to schedule a 20 min screen/phone interview. Follow up email within a week to schedule a second interview with associate director of biostatistics. I haven't had the second interview yet.

Interview Questions
    • Usual questions of when and how you handled a hard situation. How do you feel about animal research.   Answer Question

Communications Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Covance.

The process involved a phone screen, and two on site interviews. Although the interview process was pretty straight forward with the team, the most frustrating aspect was the round robin of HR contacts involved in scheduling, I probably spoke with a new person for each stage, often with conflicting information and from different locations. By the time I received final feedback about the outcome of the role, it was from a completely new person I had no prior interaction with and therefore was not in a position to offer any meaningful feedback.

CDARO Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Covance.

This is targetted selection process. You need to be able to describe actual situations that you have been part of, not "what I would do in that case" but "what did you do in that case"

Interview Questions
    • All questions are difficult as they make you have to dig up a real life example of their question   Answer Question
    There was none. This is what is being offered, very little room for negotiation if you are looking for work; if they found you then there is a little more room but very little. 3-4%

Pricing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I applied online – interviewed at Covance in July 2013.

Had an initial phone interview with an HR rep who called from Chicago, IL (the actual position is in Princeton, NJ). Asked about what I thought of animal testing, where/when did I hear about covance for the first time, what are my professional strengths, what is a moment in my career that I am most or very proud of, why am I right for the job?
    The person interviewing was very nice.

Interview Questions
    • When was the first time I heard about Covance - did not expect this at all.   Answer Question

CRA Assist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Covance in April 2013.

Applied online, received a phone interview shortly after. Generic questions about my background and experiences with clinical research. Phone Interviewer was very rude and wanted yes and no responses instead of explanations.

Global Site Services- Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Covance in January 2013.

The first interview was over the phone with HR. Then I interviewed with 3 people in GSS face to face. I was mostly asked behavioral style interview questions. Each person asked similar questions. All the interviewers were very pleasant and professional and on time. Each allowed me to take the time I need to answer each question. Interviewers answered my question about the work and their experiences at Covance.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Covance in October 2012.

Had a phone interview with a recruiter who was, relative to other clinical trials recruiters, knowledgeable of the industry (and industry jargon). The recruiter said two weeks, I waited three with no response, sent an email inquiry, and then got an email to continue with an on-site interview from another recruiter. The process to schedule the on-site interview and travel to the HQ in Princeton, NJ, was very smooth.
    During the on-site interview, I was scheduled to meet with three people--each successively more senior to the position I was interviewing for--and present on a topic of their choosing.
    On the day of, the most senior member of the interview team was out on PTO, so someone who was in the same type of position as I was interviewing for, stood in for her. The first two interviews (with a Senior Project Manager and Project Director) were very smooth, standard behavioral-based interview questions, and very conversational.
    The presentation, which I had assumed would be a formal presentation, was presented while seated and consisted of reviewing my PowerPoint slides with comments and discussion between myself and four other individuals--my three interviewers and a Project Manager in the Study Maintenance department.

Interview Questions
    • What has been your proudest accomplishment at your current employer? What was satisfying and dissatisfying about this?   View Answer

Global Site Services- Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Covance in September 2012.

Applied and got a phone interview. Day after phone interview, scheduled an in person interview for about two weeks away. In person interview you meet with 3 different people, one hour each. Only been about 4 days, waiting to hear about about an offer. All questions asked on phone interview and in person are behavioral based to explain your experience and how you have handled situations.

Interview Questions
    • All questions are behavioral based following the STAR (situation/task, action, result) format   Answer Question