Covidien

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Covidien in January 2012.

It started out with a telephone interview. There were three people on the call besides me. This interview focused on my background and experience as a database administrator. There were no tough technical questions during the telephone interview. The phone interview led to a face-to-face interview several days later. During this interview, the hiring manager was present, along with a Senior SQL Server Database Administrator, a Senior Oracle Database Administrator, and a member of the Human Resources staff. The interview started out with a bit of social conversation, about my commute, and then proceeded into the technical portion of the interview. While I was able to answer most SQL Server questions -- that is where most of my DBA experience is -- I was not able to answer many of the Oracle questions -- in previous jobs I worked on the less complicated instances of Oracle. In addition, there were some aspects of both SQL Server and Oracle where I indicated that I hadn’t had work experience or knowledge (I don’t make stuff up in job interviews). The interview with the hiring manager and SQL Server and Oracle DBAs lasted approximately 50-minutes. I then spent about 15-minutes talking with the human resources staff member, who indicated that during the technical portion of the interview I answered all of the questions he needed answered (regarding personality, psychology, and working with people of other races and cultures). We spent time going over benefits. While I knew from the non-verbal feedback that the Oracle DBA wasn’t necessarily pleased with my lack of being able to answer questions (I don't have much experience with complicated Oracle instances), I thought that the SQL Server DBA was pleased – when I didn’t know the answer to a question, he normally indicated that the answer was something that most people wouldn’t know… Frankly, I was pleased with the team who conducted the interview. They did a good job of conveying what the job opportunity was, the work requirements, and the direction that their company was headed.

Interview Questions
  • I was asked to explain the VSS service in SQL Server (Volume Shadow Copy).   View Answer