Covidien Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015

2.8

Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Covidien.

Interview

Found open position via network...which seems to be best route into Covidien. They are very much based on relationships, so having a contact helps a lot. Did some initial phone screening interviews with HR and the outgoing director. That lead to face to face interviews with unit in Boulder. Was a day long interview of 1 on 1 interviews. Most of people interviewing do not have any formal training or much experience. So asked standard questions, "tell me about yourself" and "what are greatest strengths" The interview with HR person was most strenuous, lots of situational questions "tell me about a time you failed. about a time you succeeded." After interviews in Boulder, was flown to corporate HQ near Boston for more interviews with team there. More 1 on 1. They got more technical into my field. Then it was a long period of waiting. There were a few follow up phone call questions before finally getting the offer.

Interview Questions

• From the face to face with HR: 30 minutes of non-stop situational questions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Was able to negotiate, but initial offer was pretty generous, so not much more to ask for.

Mechanical Engineer Co-op Interview

Interview

Setup the interview with HR, had 1 in-person interview which took about 1.5hrs. I got a tour of the facilities. Meet with 4 different people. Whole process took about 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation for a co-op position.

Supply Chain Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Covidien (Boulder, CO) in September 2013.

Interview

An HR rep reached out to me and asked about my background and a couple of typical interview questions. This initial contact lasted about 30 minutes. Next she set me up with a phone interview with the hiring manager about one week later. This lasted about one hour and consisted of typical behavioral questions. I had one more phone interview the next day with the other Sr. Supply Chain Manager with the same behavioral format.

About a week after my phone interview I was contacted to set up an on-site. This was about a half-day affair. I met with both Sr. Supply Chain Managers (including the hiring manager), two Sr. Supply Chain Planners (one was a lunch interview), and a Global Marketing Manager. Each interview was about an hour long and very casual. They asked some behavioral questions, but you could just as easily ask them questions the whole time. My impression was that if you made it that far, they already thought you could do the job, they just wanted to make sure you meshed well with the team.

I received an offer about a week after my final on-site. Overall a very positive experience. Great people at the Boulder offices.

Interview Questions

• You are young and new to supply chain. The planners at the plant will think that you work for them, but you also need to get your own priorities managed. How will you build respect with people at the plant?   Answer Question

I received another offer for a somewhat different role in Seattle. I did not have any issue with their offer or benefits, the decision ended up being fairly family-centric and a move out of state seemed right for us.

Pre-Clinical Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Haven, CT

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Covidien (North Haven, CT).

Interview

Initially, I filled out an application online, which is pretty straightforward. Then I received an email inviting me to a summer intern talent symposium, which was just like a huge career fair. Many hiring managers were present, and I even spoke with my future supervisor.

After the intern talent symposium, I had a quick (20 min) phone interview and was offered the position.

Acute Care Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Covidien in August 2013.

Interview

Very large Co, if you call for assistance during hiring and don't have the direct numbers, its extremely hard to get anyone to answer or return calls for help. Seems to be a lot of people that don't provide any assistance to new hires.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Somewhat based on years of experience

Chemist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Covidien (Saint Louis, MO).

Interview

Panel interview that consisted of technical fellows, other bosses and teammates. Applied online and was contacted one month later. First there was a phone interview with an HR representative who asked questions about my resume and history. I was asked to come in for a panel interview at the end of the phone interview. After the interviewing, I was offered the position on the next week.

Interview Questions

• Asked many questions on troubleshooting HPLC. Mass spec experience was a plus.   Answer Question

Clinical Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Covidien (Boulder, CO) in July 2013.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter for the position. Set up a phone interview after an initial screening to speak with the hiring manager. The hiring manager did not call at the scheduled time. This happened twice, and the recruiter did little to help/explain the issue with lack of organization or reschedule the interview.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Covidien.

Interview

Initial phone interview with HR, then hiring manager. Followed by 4 more face-to-face interviews with hiring mgr and 3 other supervisors and peers.

Interview Questions

• Would I rather be well liked or disliked by everyone but an expert and sought after SME in my area of expertise.   1 Answer

Firmware Optimization Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Covidien (Boulder, CO).

Interview

1st round - Phone Screen
    General questions based on the resume, interests and experience

2nd Round - Onsite Interview
    It was a technical round with the Hiring manager and the lead of the team which had an opening. It was a different interview than I had expected. No programming tests. Only questions regarding the projects I had done and Optimization questions and a few optimization riddles to find out the way in which I approached those riddles.

Interview Questions

• It was the most unexpected part of the interview where they asked me few riddles to test the way in which I approach problems.   Answer Question

Systems Analyst III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ponce, PR

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Covidien (Ponce, PR).

Interview

There were several interviews - IS Section Head, HR Representative, and Finance Director.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Smooth and pretty much straight forward.