Cowen Group

Relevance Date Difficulty

Equity Research Associate Interview

Equity Research Associate
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cowen Group in May 2014.

Interview Details – I had two phone interviews, and both were very informal. I was asked about my background, why I wanted to do equity research, what my skills were, etc. They then delved into personal questions about certain tastes/likes/dislikes. The first phone interview was 50 minutes, second was 20. I never heard back from them.

Equity Research Interview

Equity Research

Interviewed at Cowen Group

Interview Details – Sent the company my resume and got a phone call a few days later to come in for an in-person interview at their NYC office. The interview was first with an MD and then with the MD's assistant. All behavioral questions - very conversational actually. Both guys were easy to talk to, which made for a good interview experience.

Interview Question – There really wasn't anything surprising.   Answer Question

Client Relationship Associate Interview

Client Relationship Associate
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Cowen Group.

Interview Details – It was very straightforward. A staff member responded to my application rather promptly, and I was scheduled for a phone interview. Afterwards, I spoke to another staff member, and finally, I was asked to come in for an in-person interview. It went well, very straightforward. I haven't heard back from them for over a week now, so I assume I'm no longer in the running for the position.

Interview Question – Nothing really. Their questions were related to the position, and otherwise, were typical interview questions.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Investment Banking Summer Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cowen Group in April 2013.

Interview Details – Got the interview for a summer analyst position through a connection. Initial round was 2 interviewers: HR and a 2nd year analyst. Second and final round was 6 1-on-1 interviews. Everyone was friendly and down to earth. No obscure or ridiculous questions and interview was pretty laid back. Typical tell me about yourself/walk me through your resume, then more detailed questions regarding internship. Few random technical questions covering I-Banking basics.

Interview Question – Describe the Gordon Growth Method for calculating terminal value when using a DCF   Answer Question

IB Summer Analyst Interview

IB Summer Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cowen Group in April 2013.

Interview Details – Only a first round and a second round. I only got to the first round. They don't reimburse for traveling to their office for the first round interviews, but they do for the final interview. In the first round you meet with the head of HR and an IB guy (I met with an analyst)

Interview Question – Nothing crazy at all. I just got asked what the three major financial statements were and how they relate. The interviewers seemed uninterested/were not very talkative, made small talk/engaging them a bit difficult.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cowen Group in May 2013.

Interview Details – My father works at a restaurant in the city and one of his customers works at Cowen, as an intermediary, my father handed the customer my resume who then handed it to the head of Investment Banking. 2 weeks later I got an interview.

Interview Question – Nothing was really unexpected. The most difficult question was probably why I want to do Investment Banking.   View Answer

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Investment Banking Summer Analyst
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cowen Group in March 2013.

Interview Details – Cowen hiring process is later than most of their competitors. I went through most of my interviews before I ended up cold e-mailing a VP at the firm, and the VP forwarded me to a senior analyst. I had a phone interview with him, and was asked to fly out to SF to meet the team. Had 5 different interviews and at the end, gave me an offer. Process was very quick. Whole process took two weeks approximately.

Interview Questions

• If I give your project A, and a couple days Managing Director gives you project B and both projects have the same deadline and you can't do both at the same time, what would you do?   Answer Question
  • What are you most worried about banking? What makes you think you will be a good fit for investment banking?   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cowen Group in December 2012.

Interview Details – Interviewed in their NY office, then interviewed in their San Francisco office. Everyone was intellectual and the work environment showed lots of energy. Had a total of 3 interviews with the last 2 interviews lasting 3 hours each. Company personnel was great, but the recruitment process transition from one office to the next took a lot longer than expected.

Interview Question – What are some of the more important valuation multiples?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Cowen Group in May 2012.

Interview Details – The interview was fairly straightforward. I had made a contact from an alumni from my school and then was invited in for an interview. I met with several junior level analysts and then 2 senior level employees. One was a VP and the other was a managing director. The questions ranged from personal strengths, to fit and culture and only a few technical finance questions. I have heard from other interviewees that the type of questions simply depend on who does the interviewing and what group you are interviewing for. Friendliest interview session I have had and the office seemed like it was buzzing with energy as people were called in and out of interviews for various other tasks.

Interview Question – Unexpected question was about a few of my random interests listed on the resume and what I was currently reading? Enjoyed the question but was surprised when that was brought up. Apparently personal questions like that are quite common at this firm   Answer Question

Senior Developer Interview

Senior Developer
New York, NY

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Cowen Group in April 2011.

Interview Details – Interview was arranged through the recruiter. My profile matched exactly the job description. Went for a face to face interview and the questions were very simple. Discussed about finance, technical skills and couple of behavioral questions. I was called for a second round with senior guys in the company. Interview was average and nothing very difficult. The recruiter got back to me after two days and said they are looking for more quant background. Though I wasted my time, it was a nice experience and all the interviewers were very nice.

Interview Questions

Worked for Cowen Group? Contribute to the Community!