Cox Communications

3.2

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Technical Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chesapeake, VA

I applied online – interviewed at Cox Communications in July 2014.

Filled out the application in April. Got an email like two weeks later informing me that I would receive a link to schedule a video interview. After a couple of days I realized that I didn't receive anything so I contacted the recruiter who advised me that they're hiring a lot of people so it may take some time. After the second month I decided to give up but I then received a call which was a lady who wanted to do a phone interview. After 2 phone interviews and 2 assessments later I received an email about a week later stating that I had passed the assessments and told me to call recruiter. I called the recruiter did a third interview and also set up another phone interview with someone else the next day. I was told that it would be me and two people interviewing me but it wasnt. It was just a man asking me general interview questions. After that interview he informed me that he would be sending a recommendation to the recruiter. Got a call today with job offer...
    Process took about 3 months...

Interview Questions
    • STAR format questions
      Tell me about a time...... Be specific
      Technical Support Questions; if customer called in and said internet was not working properly on laptop what's the first thing you would tell him to do?

View Answers (3)
    No negotiations

Technical Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chesapeake, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cox Communications in March 2014.

Interesting process. Submitted my resume on their website and received a confirmation email. Received an automated response 14 hrs later to complete an application.

I received an email 9 hours later from a recruiter to continue to their 'Montage' Interview process. This part of the process is awesome and nerving. lol. You log into this 'Montage' system and complete 4 steps: 1) Enter contact info, 2) Upload your resume, cover letter, references and any other pertinent info to present competence for the job applying for. 3) Record an audiovisual Introduction and 4) Record audiovisual responses for selected questions (pre-determined questions). All recordings can be re-recorded using their system or you can upload video files.

I received an email 9 hours later from the recruiter inviting me to the next step: 2 assessments. The first assessment was an online simulation where you answer calls (again, simulated) and select which answers best-to-worst fit each situation. Unless you're slow at reading, take your time. You'll only receive 3-4 calls so you should have plenty of time to do your best! The 2nd online assessment is what I call the 'Integrity' and job skills check. You'll have a LOT of questions to answer and some will resurface as different questions, but with the intent to see if you're a thief, dishonest, lack integrity, etc. Most company theft is internal so don't go into this lightly. Be honest and careful how you read the questions b/c the evaluation is designed to identify dishonesty and then you can kiss your hiring opportunity goodbye!

I received an invite to interview 2 days later from the local Recruiter. Keep your email and phone nearby because they DO respond on weekends (it’s a 24/7 call center). I spoke with the recruiter and scheduled the interview. Make SURE you get the exact name of who you’re interviewing with.

The on-site interview process took a couple hours. Mine was a 1-person panel. First the Interviewer reviews the job expectations, training schedule to expect and benefits. Next is the STAR formatted interview process (situational questions). Don’t know this format? Look it up and be ready. The interviewer asks about 4-5 different questions to assess how you resolve problems while maintaining professionalism and saving/upselling the customer.

The interviewer will ask you to step out of the room for a few minutes. I think if you’re asked to come back in…you’re moving on to another step in the on-site process. I was asked to come in again. At this time, the Technical Support position was explained then I was asked to state what questions I would ask a customer calling in regarding trouble with a device (i.e. no net signal, tv screen turned off). After that is a Roleplay. The interviewer gives you a packet of information to review for 10 minutes. The interviewer goes to a different room and calls you. You’re expected to answer the call as if you’re a Cox representative, assist the caller with their questions and try to upsell if the opportunity arises (which it will). At this point, the on-site interview is over and they will contact you within 5-7 business days.

I received a call 2 days later with an informal job offer, but a formal offer would be presented in 48 business hours, pending background/reference/employment/education checks were successful. I received a formal offer in the expected timeframe. You then follow the provided links in the email offer to electronically complete and sign it and other documents. You have 48 hours from that signing to complete the drug testing (only a urinalysis needed).

In summary, it’s about a 2 week process with many steps involved, but the pay is decent, benefits start on Day 1 (excluding education – that’s 1 year) and with room to grow. Everyone met so far seem sincerely nice and laid back. Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • They were standard situational questions. Even the tech support questions were very basic. No questions about standard TCP/IP protocols, coaxial vs. fiber optic or anything else of that nature.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Its a set base pay.

Tech Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chesapeake, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cox Communications.

behaviral questions

Interview Questions
    • tell me a time you had to persuade someone to buy something   Answer Question

Marketing Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chesapeake, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cox Communications in May 2013.

First they screen you with a phone call and then if you do well you will be notified to come in. Once you come in they sit you in with two employees who ask you about your experience and just about yourself. Very non-formal.

Interview Questions
    • Typical questions about how you dealt with certain situations like a difficult team member, etc.   Answer Question
    Phone call with an offer, are you interested? It was just an internship.

Retail Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chesapeake, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Cox Communications in August 2011.

I applied online and kept at it (checked on updated positions, etc) over the course of about a month. The HR rep called and said I performed very well on both the sales and managerial assessments, that they were interested in speaking with me further. She said she would also need to do a phone interview, asked if I had time to do it now so I did. After she said she recommended me to do the panel interview and asked if I could come in the next day. I already had a full day ahead of me, so I apologized that I wouldn't be able to do it the next day. Panel interview was then scheduled for the day after. It is worth to note that after this process, I heard that Cox routinely does this... they expect you to find them worthy enough to make it all happen on your end as soon as they are interested... including start date. They may not be interested in leaving you with enough time to fulfill a 2 week notice with your existing job and will want you to start within days of offering. Anyway, 3-panel interview where I sat at the end of a long table with the guys on the other end. They were friendly and took turns answering questions and writing down my responses. Afterward, they asked me to go back into the hall so they could talk for a minute. 10 minutes later they called me back in and offered me a PT position... they expected an immediate response. I accepted. I was then given paperwork for background check approval and drug test... was told I needed to submit the drug test within 24 hours.

Interview Questions
    • I have been in wireless sales for many years, so I am accustomed to similar interview questions. However, the one that sticks out in my head was to explain a time where I had an angry customer, how I handled the situation and what the outcome was. This is not so out of the norm, but I had gone through so many questions with them that were similar that I was trying to search my brain for a new situation that had a good outcome. Interview lasted nearly an hour, so we went through many sales and service scenarios.   Answer Question
    I was offered a PT sales position even though I was originally called in for a possible Assistant Manager position in a retail store. At the time, I was unemployed so I believe I made the mistake of offering up during the interview that I would be willing to consider PT just to get my foot in the door. Salary was not negotiable.

Retail Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chesapeake, VA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Cox Communications in July 2010.

Very easy going. Phone interview then a test placement followed by interview

None take as is