Cox Communications

Relevance Date Difficulty

Community Relations Interview

Community Relations
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cox Communications in August 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online, heard from them a month later asking for a writing sample and PowerPoint sample. Got a call almost two weeks later for a phone interview which was extensive (behavioral questions) and lasted 22 minutes. Invited to a panel interview the next week where I interviewed with the same HR manager I had the phone interview with along with the hiring manager and two of her counterparts via phone. Again, behavioral questions, many of which were the same as the phone interview. The office seemed extremely busy, with everyone keeping their heads down. Very internally focused. I was notified a week later that I had been selected for final interviews, a one on one with the department VP and then a mini panel with the direct team. VP interview was fairly informal, he had three questions he was asking everyone. He also informed me that they had started with 230 candidates and were now down to 3, so it was just going to come down to fit. The team interview was great but very short. They basically were explaining the realities of the job and asking if I could do them. I was slightly thrown because this round asked about technical skills like graphic design and web management, which was not in the description nor on my skill list. I came in prepared to talk about larger implications for the position in terms of why community relations is important, but they were really looking for details about whether I could do the shlep work or not. Sent thank you notes during all rounds. Didn't hear anything for a week, so I followed up with the HR manager who said she'd let me know when she could. The next weekend (Saturday morning, to be exact), I received an automated email saying I was not longer being considered. The interview process was fine, but that last bit really irked me. I met with a total of 8 people over the course of two months, and there were only 3 candidates left- you'd think one of them could have picked up the phone to say thanks but no thanks.

Interview Questions

Worked for Cox Communications? Contribute to the Community!