Cox Communications
www.cox.com Atlanta, GA 5000+ Employees

Cox Communications Customer Retention Sales Representative Interview Questions & Reviews

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
1 candidate interview Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Retention Sales Representative Interview

Customer Retention Sales Representative
Wichita, KS

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Cox Communications in April 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and gave the name of the employee who referred me to the position. Later I asked that person and another employee I know to do what they could to help me get an interview. Within a week I was contacted by HR to schedule a phone interview. HR schedules phone interviews in 15-minute intervals. The first opening was the end of the following week. Later I learned they are hiring dozens of people for this position because they are growing the department.

During the phone interview an HR rep gave me details about the position, requirements, pay, training, and timeline. It was frustrating to learn that, if hired, I had missed the soonest training (it was full) so would have to wait four weeks or more just for training. That's how it goes, but I was hoping to start sooner. The HR rep asked a few generic questions, i.e., "What do you consider the most important trait in a successful salesperson?" Then she scheduled me for a face-to-face interview with two supervisors for the following week.

I was not prepared for the interview at all. I thought I knew what the job would entail but I was clueless. I did not know how to handle the barrage of 15-20 SMART questions and did not have any stories ready. I should have prepared answers to all the SMART questions I could find. Also I should have read up on what the challenges might be to convincing a customer to keep their cable, broadband or phone services. The interview lasted about an hour.

I remembered, however, that my desire for an interview was to learn more about the position so I could determine if I even wanted it. It turned out I wasn't excited by the idea of spending 40+ hours per week, including some nights & weekends, handling one phone call after another, dealing with dissatisfied customers who wanted to drop or reduce services. The position came with a quota so the sales-orientation of the job was top priority. None of that really suits who I am. The astute interviewers came to the same conclusion. I received an email within 12 hours stating that I was not chosen.

Everyone was very nice and I felt comfortable talking with them. My friends who work with Cox love how they are treated. I wouldn't mind working for them in a position for which I am qualified and enthusiastic.

Interview Questions

• Give me a specific example of a time when you used good judgment and logic in solving a problem.   Answer Question
  • Describe a situation in which you were able to use persuasion to successfully convince someone to see things your way.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Cox Communications

Worked for Cox Communications? Contribute to the Community!

Cox Communications Videos

Cox Communications – Why Work for Us?

Careers at Cox Communications Claim your seat and unleash your potential with a career at Cox today! We believe employees are our most important resource, and that's why we hire the best. It is with this belief… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cox Communications Customer Retention Sales Representative interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Cox Communications employees and interview candidates.