Cox Communications

Updated Nov 9, 2014
Updated Nov 9, 2014

2.8

Inbound Sales Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cox Communications.

Must apply online, then take an online assessment, telephone interview, next is the drug test,set face to face interview with two managers and wait for a decision...can take up to 3 months

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of when you were right and the manager was wrong and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cox Communications in May 2014.

Applied online to sales position around the third week of May and received a response rather quickly by email that I had been selected to move forward with the second phase of the process and have a phone interview. That was conducted on the 23rd of the same month. Next I was notified that I would be moving on again to the next phase which was two online assessment test that I completed and a face to face interview was then scheduled for the 30th of the May. The interview was done in the STAR format which I thought I did rather well at but I guess not as I was not hired! Was told that interviews would be conducted through Friday of the following week which would have ended on the 6th of June. Was also told that I would be contacted by HR Dept if chosen for the position which had a start date of 7-7-14. Well I waited and waited for a call that never came but continued to check my "job page" on the Cox homepage which still to this day shows that my application is "under consideration pending results of interview"!! That was last update was on 6-18-14........The job opening posted again right around the third week of June! Hmmmmmmm! Guess I wasn't what they were looking for! 10 years of sales experience wasn't good enough!

Interview Questions
    • None were really difficult all just standard questions.   Answer Question

Manager Business Operations Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cox Communications.

Initially emailed by a recruiter to set up phone screen. Recruiter did not call at the scheduled time. I followed up, spoke with the recruiter and passed the screen and was set up to phone interview with the hiring manager. Hiring Manager called 6 hours earlier than scheduled interview time. New time was set and again Hiring Manager called early by15 minutes. I do not know if this a tactic since I have been out of the interview game for awhile, 3 for 3 seems excessive.

With all the miscommunication at this stage in the process I was no longer interested in the position. I still went ahead with the interview, not my best performance. The Hiring Manager seemed genuinely friendly and very informative and had been with the company for awhile. They use the star method and ask a lot of tell me about a time when...nothing technical, did not test your knowledge or skill set at this stage.

Maybe I just had an unfortunate experience, first impressions are a two way street.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cox Communications in April 2014.

I applied online at the end of March 2014. April 2 , 2014 I received an email stating that they wanted me complete an online resume. Then I received a phone call for an over the phone interview on March 7. Next I received an email for me to complete a two part assessment which included four mock call center calls and a personality assessment. Both were fairly easy. After the assessments I received a call on April 10, 2014 from a recruiting coordinator who did an over the phone screening and then he set me up with an in person interview which took place April 11, 2014. They used the STAR format of interviewing and asked about 7-10 different instances of previous work experiences for me to describe using the STAR format. After the interview the two interviewers left the room to discuss if I should move on to the next phase of the interview which is a mock phone call from one of the interviewers. They gave me a script to study for about 10 minutes. I passed the mock phone call and they told that HR would give me a call. HR called on April 14 to offer me the position. I had to complete online pre-employment forms, background check, and schedule the drug test immediately after completing those forms.

Interview Questions
    • Make sure you prepare for a least 10 different work experiences using the STAR format and things should go smoothly during the in person interview.   Answer Question
    There were not any negotiations. She told me what the starting rate was for the position and sent me a formal offer letter.

Junior Management Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Cox Communications.

Situation task and results questions are standard. Be prepared to explain an gaps in employment history. Panel interviews and multi phase interviews even at junior management level.

Interview Questions
    • What is one of your greatest strengths, and one of your greatest weakness?   View Answers (2)

Customer Retention Representative Interview

Two interviews, then about a week for HR to contact you, and one month before training starts

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chesapeake, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chesapeake, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cox Communications in March 2014.

Interesting process. Submitted my resume on their website and received a confirmation email. Received an automated response 14 hrs later to complete an application.

I received an email 9 hours later from a recruiter to continue to their 'Montage' Interview process. This part of the process is awesome and nerving. lol. You log into this 'Montage' system and complete 4 steps: 1) Enter contact info, 2) Upload your resume, cover letter, references and any other pertinent info to present competence for the job applying for. 3) Record an audiovisual Introduction and 4) Record audiovisual responses for selected questions (pre-determined questions). All recordings can be re-recorded using their system or you can upload video files.

I received an email 9 hours later from the recruiter inviting me to the next step: 2 assessments. The first assessment was an online simulation where you answer calls (again, simulated) and select which answers best-to-worst fit each situation. Unless you're slow at reading, take your time. You'll only receive 3-4 calls so you should have plenty of time to do your best! The 2nd online assessment is what I call the 'Integrity' and job skills check. You'll have a LOT of questions to answer and some will resurface as different questions, but with the intent to see if you're a thief, dishonest, lack integrity, etc. Most company theft is internal so don't go into this lightly. Be honest and careful how you read the questions b/c the evaluation is designed to identify dishonesty and then you can kiss your hiring opportunity goodbye!

I received an invite to interview 2 days later from the local Recruiter. Keep your email and phone nearby because they DO respond on weekends (it’s a 24/7 call center). I spoke with the recruiter and scheduled the interview. Make SURE you get the exact name of who you’re interviewing with.

The on-site interview process took a couple hours. Mine was a 1-person panel. First the Interviewer reviews the job expectations, training schedule to expect and benefits. Next is the STAR formatted interview process (situational questions). Don’t know this format? Look it up and be ready. The interviewer asks about 4-5 different questions to assess how you resolve problems while maintaining professionalism and saving/upselling the customer.

The interviewer will ask you to step out of the room for a few minutes. I think if you’re asked to come back in…you’re moving on to another step in the on-site process. I was asked to come in again. At this time, the Technical Support position was explained then I was asked to state what questions I would ask a customer calling in regarding trouble with a device (i.e. no net signal, tv screen turned off). After that is a Roleplay. The interviewer gives you a packet of information to review for 10 minutes. The interviewer goes to a different room and calls you. You’re expected to answer the call as if you’re a Cox representative, assist the caller with their questions and try to upsell if the opportunity arises (which it will). At this point, the on-site interview is over and they will contact you within 5-7 business days.

I received a call 2 days later with an informal job offer, but a formal offer would be presented in 48 business hours, pending background/reference/employment/education checks were successful. I received a formal offer in the expected timeframe. You then follow the provided links in the email offer to electronically complete and sign it and other documents. You have 48 hours from that signing to complete the drug testing (only a urinalysis needed).

In summary, it’s about a 2 week process with many steps involved, but the pay is decent, benefits start on Day 1 (excluding education – that’s 1 year) and with room to grow. Everyone met so far seem sincerely nice and laid back. Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • They were standard situational questions. Even the tech support questions were very basic. No questions about standard TCP/IP protocols, coaxial vs. fiber optic or anything else of that nature.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Its a set base pay.

Technical Support Representative Interview

Behavioral questions name and time when blah blah blah

Interview Questions
    • name a time when you went above and beyond?   View Answer

Senior Technical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cox Communications in March 2014.

Very flexible and easy going

Interview Questions
    rigid with little room for negotiation

Customer Retention Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Cox Communications in March 2014.

I had to apply online at the company web site. I took the telephone interview, online skill assessment, then face to face interview. I agreed to a background check and drug screen.

Interview Questions
    • Specific occasions in detail when you provided excellent customer service and dealt with difficult customers.   Answer Question
    They give you an offer letter and ask you to sign it.