Cox Communications

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chesapeake, VA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Cox Communications in July 2010.

Interview Details – Very easy going. Phone interview then a test placement followed by interview

Interview Question – None common very basic   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None take as is

Retail Sales Representative

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cox Communications.

Interview Details – Hiring process was simple. two interviews with simple questions about past experience. No trick questions. After first interview called back in two days then hired the following week. Whole process from aplication to first day took about two weeks.

Interview Question – they didn't try to get tricky, so their was nothing scary or stupid.   Answer Question

Chesapeake, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Cox Communications in August 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and kept at it (checked on updated positions, etc) over the course of about a month. The HR rep called and said I performed very well on both the sales and managerial assessments, that they were interested in speaking with me further. She said she would also need to do a phone interview, asked if I had time to do it now so I did. After she said she recommended me to do the panel interview and asked if I could come in the next day. I already had a full day ahead of me, so I apologized that I wouldn't be able to do it the next day. Panel interview was then scheduled for the day after. It is worth to note that after this process, I heard that Cox routinely does this... they expect you to find them worthy enough to make it all happen on your end as soon as they are interested... including start date. They may not be interested in leaving you with enough time to fulfill a 2 week notice with your existing job and will want you to start within days of offering. Anyway, 3-panel interview where I sat at the end of a long table with the guys on the other end. They were friendly and took turns answering questions and writing down my responses. Afterward, they asked me to go back into the hall so they could talk for a minute. 10 minutes later they called me back in and offered me a PT position... they expected an immediate response. I accepted. I was then given paperwork for background check approval and drug test... was told I needed to submit the drug test within 24 hours.

Interview Question – I have been in wireless sales for many years, so I am accustomed to similar interview questions. However, the one that sticks out in my head was to explain a time where I had an angry customer, how I handled the situation and what the outcome was. This is not so out of the norm, but I had gone through so many questions with them that were similar that I was trying to search my brain for a new situation that had a good outcome. Interview lasted nearly an hour, so we went through many sales and service scenarios.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered a PT sales position even though I was originally called in for a possible Assistant Manager position in a retail store. At the time, I was unemployed so I believe I made the mistake of offering up during the interview that I would be willing to consider PT just to get my foot in the door. Salary was not negotiable.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Difficult Interview

Retail Sales Representative

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cox Communications in June 2009.

Interview Details – first i applied online, and then i got an email. i responded to the email and then they called me to do a phone interview. after the phone interview i went to the office to take a skills and personality test.after i passed the test, i was called in for a one on one interview. a few weeks later i got a call to offer me a position as long as i passed a drug and background test.

Interview Questions

Retail Sales Representative

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cox Communications in May 2010.

Interview Details – I initially applied on line and approximately a week later received a call asking if I was able to come in the following day for testing. There were several other individuals there for testing as well. The test was in 2 parts. There was a simulated phone section and a personality assessment section. The test was timed for an hr however, I was able to complete it within 30minutes, I found it to be pretty easy. The next day I received a call and was given a prelimenary Phone Interview, upon completion I was asked to return the following day for a face to face interview and interviewed with two management staff employees/recruiters. The interview was suppose to take 45minutes and instead lasted 1hr and 15mins. It was a very thorough interview and at the end I was asked to fill out forms granting them permission to do a background check and credit check. It took a month to hear anything back. Then I received a call with a job offer, and asking if I could take a drug screening w/i 48 hrs. Approximately two days later I received an emailed job offer and a hard copy in the mail a day later. There is a 5week training process, in my case, it was out of state, however your hotel is paid for if you chose not to do the 2 hour commute. The salary, benefits, compensation, commission, pension, and 401k are well worth the wait.

Interview Question – They did role play during the interview where I had to pick a product and sell it to them, overcoming their objections.   Answer Question

Worked for Cox Communications? Contribute to the Community!