Cox Communications Technical Support Representative Interview Questions

Updated Jul 11, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cox Communications (Phoenix, AZ) in June 2015.

Interview

Get a phone interview asking about experience. Get an in person interview talking about the sales portion of the job- because it is actually the most important part. This is a sales position with a very reasonable, low take rate, that includes some tech support troubleshooting. And yes, there is a drug test.

Interview Questions

• Are you ok with this job being heavily reliant on your sales quotas?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Cox Communications

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Cox Communications (Phoenix, AZ) in April 2015.

Interview

-Applied through the company's website -Received email about a week later for phone interview -Had a phone interview explaining the position and salary (used STAR method) then scheduled an interview in office for they following day -STAR method interview question then role play. Was told I'll receive a call by netted week with a decision -Received call 3 days later saying they would like to offer the position and sent email over to accept offer and for background and drug test. -Received email today that I was hired and start training class in 2 weeks. -The whole process took about 3 weeks.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Cox Communications (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

A phone interview that asked basic questions. A 2nd phone interview with typical behavior questions. Then an in person with 2 Supervisors. The in person was pretty difficult. They also do a mock phone call.

Interview Questions

• How have you turned a negative customer experience into a positive sale?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cox Communications (Baton Rouge, LA) in February 2015.

Interview

Interview process took about 1 hour. First I was interviewed by a human resource manager, asked questions about job history, education and experience with cable cords and Internet cables etc. next I was moved to another room to be interviewed by how they referred to as the human resource director. I walk into the room to find 2 guys at a desk waiting to interview me. They took turns asking me about myself and different questions in STAR interview format. If you don't know what this is please good it. It's better to be prepared than to be sitting there trying to think of a time when such n such happened while they're looking at you with their poker faces. I was asked what URL, DSL and http stood for and what a modem and router was. After this I shook both of their hands and thanked them for the opportunity and left like OMG... I really don't know how that went.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you had to deal with an irate customer. How did you calm them down and what was the ending results?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cox Communications (Phoenix, AZ) in November 2014.

Interview

This was through a contract employee finding service that first required their own online bevy of questions and info gathering. After the online forms were completed, I was asked to come in for first interview with the contract agency's rep. This went well and was more personality based rather than skills evaluation. I was scheduled then for second interview with Cox HR reps. Second interview was with 2 cordial but business focused interviewers. They asked scenario questions based on my previous experience. Again, more personality based and decision making skills rather than technical savvy. This interview went well but they had their poker faces on and it was not obvious how they felt about the interview. A few days later, I received the call from the contract agency asking me if I would accept the position, to which I accepted the position. I am excited to start because I have always enjoyed providing quality tech support to my neighbors!

Interview Questions

• 'Describe a situation where you had to deal with a very angry customer and how did you turn it around?'   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Cox Communications (Omaha, NE) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was called the next day by a Cox recruiter from Atlanta. She emailed me a link to two assessments: A standard personality test and a call center simulation. There were only about 5 scenarios to complete in 45 min. Multiple choice and you rate each answer from Not Effective to Most Effective. I was called 2 days later on a Saturday by a representative from Futurestep in Baton Rouge to schedule an in-person interview. No phone interview. The interview was scheduled for a couple days later. The dress was business casual. The interviewer was wearing khakis and a polo and had visible tattoos. He was very nice and personable and did his best to make it as painless as possible. We went to an empty conference room and sat across from each other. He informed me it would be in STAR format. After the STAR portion there was a section devoted to technical questions. Next there was a simulated call. He gave me an information packet to study for 10 min. He left and called the phone in the room 10 min later. He asked me how to operate the On-demand system--directions were in the packet. I also had to attempt to sell him DVR over the course of the call--DVR features were also in packet. Interview concluded after that. I was called the same evening by Futurestep and offered the job. They emailed me an acceptance letter with hourly rate and background check/drug testing info.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with starting a new job? Have you ever come up with a new idea that was implemented? What is a DVR? What does URL stand for? DNS? Name some cables you hook up a cable box with. First thing you do when your own internet goes out. What would you do if internet went out while you were working at Cox? What do you think this job entails? What happens if you watch a standard definition movie on an HD set? What format do you watch movies in?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chesapeake, VA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Cox Communications (Chesapeake, VA) in July 2014.

Interview

Filled out the application in April. Got an email like two weeks later informing me that I would receive a link to schedule a video interview. After a couple of days I realized that I didn't receive anything so I contacted the recruiter who advised me that they're hiring a lot of people so it may take some time. After the second month I decided to give up but I then received a call which was a lady who wanted to do a phone interview. After 2 phone interviews and 2 assessments later I received an email about a week later stating that I had passed the assessments and told me to call recruiter. I called the recruiter did a third interview and also set up another phone interview with someone else the next day. I was told that it would be me and two people interviewing me but it wasnt. It was just a man asking me general interview questions. After that interview he informed me that he would be sending a recommendation to the recruiter. Got a call today with job offer... Process took about 3 months...

Interview Questions

• STAR format questions Tell me about a time...... Be specific Technical Support Questions; if customer called in and said internet was not working properly on laptop what's the first thing you would tell him to do?   3 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiations

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cox Communications (Baton Rouge, LA) in April 2014.

Interview

I applied online at the end of March 2014. April 2 , 2014 I received an email stating that they wanted me complete an online resume. Then I received a phone call for an over the phone interview on March 7. Next I received an email for me to complete a two part assessment which included four mock call center calls and a personality assessment. Both were fairly easy. After the assessments I received a call on April 10, 2014 from a recruiting coordinator who did an over the phone screening and then he set me up with an in person interview which took place April 11, 2014. They used the STAR format of interviewing and asked about 7-10 different instances of previous work experiences for me to describe using the STAR format. After the interview the two interviewers left the room to discuss if I should move on to the next phase of the interview which is a mock phone call from one of the interviewers. They gave me a script to study for about 10 minutes. I passed the mock phone call and they told that HR would give me a call. HR called on April 14 to offer me the position. I had to complete online pre-employment forms, background check, and schedule the drug test immediately after completing those forms.

Interview Questions

• Make sure you prepare for a least 10 different work experiences using the STAR format and things should go smoothly during the in person interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There were not any negotiations. She told me what the starting rate was for the position and sent me a formal offer letter.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chesapeake, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cox Communications (Chesapeake, VA) in March 2014.

Interview

Interesting process. Submitted my resume on their website and received a confirmation email. Received an automated response 14 hrs later to complete an application. I received an email 9 hours later from a recruiter to continue to their 'Montage' Interview process. This part of the process is awesome and nerving. lol. You log into this 'Montage' system and complete 4 steps: 1) Enter contact info, 2) Upload your resume, cover letter, references and any other pertinent info to present competence for the job applying for. 3) Record an audiovisual Introduction and 4) Record audiovisual responses for selected questions (pre-determined questions). All recordings can be re-recorded using their system or you can upload video files. I received an email 9 hours later from the recruiter inviting me to the next step: 2 assessments. The first assessment was an online simulation where you answer calls (again, simulated) and select which answers best-to-worst fit each situation. Unless you're slow at reading, take your time. You'll only receive 3-4 calls so you should have plenty of time to do your best! The 2nd online assessment is what I call the 'Integrity' and job skills check. You'll have a LOT of questions to answer and some will resurface as different questions, but with the intent to see if you're a thief, dishonest, lack integrity, etc. Most company theft is internal so don't go into this lightly. Be honest and careful how you read the questions b/c the evaluation is designed to identify dishonesty and then you can kiss your hiring opportunity goodbye! I received an invite to interview 2 days later from the local Recruiter. Keep your email and phone nearby because they DO respond on weekends (it’s a 24/7 call center). I spoke with the recruiter and scheduled the interview. Make SURE you get the exact name of who you’re interviewing with. The on-site interview process took a couple hours. Mine was a 1-person panel. First the Interviewer reviews the job expectations, training schedule to expect and benefits. Next is the STAR formatted interview process (situational questions). Don’t know this format? Look it up and be ready. The interviewer asks about 4-5 different questions to assess how you resolve problems while maintaining professionalism and saving/upselling the customer. The interviewer will ask you to step out of the room for a few minutes. I think if you’re asked to come back in…you’re moving on to another step in the on-site process. I was asked to come in again. At this time, the Technical Support position was explained then I was asked to state what questions I would ask a customer calling in regarding trouble with a device (i.e. no net signal, tv screen turned off). After that is a Roleplay. The interviewer gives you a packet of information to review for 10 minutes. The interviewer goes to a different room and calls you. You’re expected to answer the call as if you’re a Cox representative, assist the caller with their questions and try to upsell if the opportunity arises (which it will). At this point, the on-site interview is over and they will contact you within 5-7 business days. I received a call 2 days later with an informal job offer, but a formal offer would be presented in 48 business hours, pending background/reference/employment/education checks were successful. I received a formal offer in the expected timeframe. You then follow the provided links in the email offer to electronically complete and sign it and other documents. You have 48 hours from that signing to complete the drug testing (only a urinalysis needed). In summary, it’s about a 2 week process with many steps involved, but the pay is decent, benefits start on Day 1 (excluding education – that’s 1 year) and with room to grow. Everyone met so far seem sincerely nice and laid back. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• They were standard situational questions. Even the tech support questions were very basic. No questions about standard TCP/IP protocols, coaxial vs. fiber optic or anything else of that nature.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Its a set base pay.

Technical Support Representative Interview

Interview

Behavioral questions name and time when blah blah blah

Interview Questions

• name a time when you went above and beyond?   1 Answer