Cox Communications
www.cox.com Atlanta, GA 5000+ Employees

Cox Communications Technical Support Representative Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Apr 1, 2014

Getting the Interview

12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chesapeake, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cox Communications in March 2014.

Interview Details – Interesting process. Submitted my resume on their website and received a confirmation email. Received an automated response 14 hrs later to complete an application.

I received an email 9 hours later from a recruiter to continue to their 'Montage' Interview process. This part of the process is awesome and nerving. lol. You log into this 'Montage' system and complete 4 steps: 1) Enter contact info, 2) Upload your resume, cover letter, references and any other pertinent info to present competence for the job applying for. 3) Record an audiovisual Introduction and 4) Record audiovisual responses for selected questions (pre-determined questions). All recordings can be re-recorded using their system or you can upload video files.

I received an email 9 hours later from the recruiter inviting me to the next step: 2 assessments. The first assessment was an online simulation where you answer calls (again, simulated) and select which answers best-to-worst fit each situation. Unless you're slow at reading, take your time. You'll only receive 3-4 calls so you should have plenty of time to do your best! The 2nd online assessment is what I call the 'Integrity' and job skills check. You'll have a LOT of questions to answer and some will resurface as different questions, but with the intent to see if you're a thief, dishonest, lack integrity, etc. Most company theft is internal so don't go into this lightly. Be honest and careful how you read the questions b/c the evaluation is designed to identify dishonesty and then you can kiss your hiring opportunity goodbye!

I received an invite to interview 2 days later from the local Recruiter. Keep your email and phone nearby because they DO respond on weekends (it’s a 24/7 call center). I spoke with the recruiter and scheduled the interview. Make SURE you get the exact name of who you’re interviewing with.

The on-site interview process took a couple hours. Mine was a 1-person panel. First the Interviewer reviews the job expectations, training schedule to expect and benefits. Next is the STAR formatted interview process (situational questions). Don’t know this format? Look it up and be ready. The interviewer asks about 4-5 different questions to assess how you resolve problems while maintaining professionalism and saving/upselling the customer.

The interviewer will ask you to step out of the room for a few minutes. I think if you’re asked to come back in…you’re moving on to another step in the on-site process. I was asked to come in again. At this time, the Technical Support position was explained then I was asked to state what questions I would ask a customer calling in regarding trouble with a device (i.e. no net signal, tv screen turned off). After that is a Roleplay. The interviewer gives you a packet of information to review for 10 minutes. The interviewer goes to a different room and calls you. You’re expected to answer the call as if you’re a Cox representative, assist the caller with their questions and try to upsell if the opportunity arises (which it will). At this point, the on-site interview is over and they will contact you within 5-7 business days.

I received a call 2 days later with an informal job offer, but a formal offer would be presented in 48 business hours, pending background/reference/employment/education checks were successful. I received a formal offer in the expected timeframe. You then follow the provided links in the email offer to electronically complete and sign it and other documents. You have 48 hours from that signing to complete the drug testing (only a urinalysis needed).

In summary, it’s about a 2 week process with many steps involved, but the pay is decent, benefits start on Day 1 (excluding education – that’s 1 year) and with room to grow. Everyone met so far seem sincerely nice and laid back. Good luck!

Interview Question – They were standard situational questions. Even the tech support questions were very basic. No questions about standard TCP/IP protocols, coaxial vs. fiber optic or anything else of that nature.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Its a set base pay.

Interviewed at Cox Communications

Interview Details – Behavioral questions name and time when blah blah blah

Interview Question – name a time when you went above and beyond?   View Answer

Omaha, NE

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Cox Communications in May 2013.

Interview Details – Cox Communications was highly professional in how they conducted the whole hiring and interview process. After completing a fairly thorough online application process, I was interviewed by telephone, after which I was interviewed in person by two HR employees. After the two-person interview, I was then required to do an impromptu role playing on the telephone with a technical support supervisor acting as the "caller."

Interview Question – A series of questions were asked regarding basic technical terminology just to get an idea of what I already knew. For instance questions about coaxial cable, fiber optic cable, the meaning of "url", etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Simple.

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cox Communications.

Interview Details – I applied online. I was first called for an over the phone interview where I was asked questions according to the star method. After a week I was called back for in an person interview. I was interviewed by two people again using the star method. Everyone was very friendly and attentive. The office has a great atmosphere.

Interview Question – Please describe a situation where you had to change your approach from what you originally wanted to do.   View Answer

Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Cox Communications in May 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process starts out online by uploading your resume and then filling out an online application. After a review of the application, you receive a call for a phone interview which lasts about 30 minutes. You are then sent two links, via email, to do a personality review and telemarketing test, which tests your ability to multitask in a computer/phone environment. If you successfully pass everything up to this point, you are then invited to an in-person interview, which is the last step in the hiring process.

Interview Question – "Please give an example of when you were able to successfully up-sell a product or service."   View Answer

Negotiation Details – In this position there was no room for negotiation.

Baton Rouge, LA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Cox Communications.

Interview Details – Applied online, went to pre interview screening and they did a small mathematical test and quized for technical knowledge, both were extremely simple.
The actual interview was standard. make sure youy practice all the standard type questions and be relaxed and friendly. Dress appropriatly. Also, I got an interview right away, but that is not the case for a lot of people, you may have to try several times, but don't give up!

Interview Question – They asked for example story of overcoming a difficult situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They made an offer and I accepted it. There's not a lot of wiggle room.

Interviewed at Cox Communications

Interview Details – Some tests online ever been in a call center you shoudl be fine

Interview Question – all pretty common   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – they have a strait pay rate they start you out

Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Cox Communications in December 2012.

Interview Details – Starts off with a Resume submittal, followed by a phone interview with "HR" Recruiters. Then fill out actual application in same online format that resume was submitted Followed by 3 test: PSY, TSR, knowledge of IT industry. Then a 2 person panel interview that asks more IT knowledge and follows the STAR format.

Interview Question – What are all the public port numbers on FTP, SMTP, POP3, and IMAP?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation, the offer is the offer.

Gainesville, FL

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Cox Communications in August 2012.

Interview Details – I was interviewed using an online process that went through a large amount of questions and possible answers.

Interview Question – Most of the questions centred around computers such as "Which key(s) on your keyboard would you use to look at multiple different programs/pages on your computer?"   View Answer

Baton Rouge, LA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Cox Communications in March 2012.

Interview Details – You submit your resume, then you get a call back and meet with one person who asks you basic employment questions. Then you meet with some of the managers and are asked to do a role-play scenario over the phone and are asked to try to sell products, promote services and troubleshoot basic issues.

Interview Question – Describe times in the past where you had to provide technical assistance to someone you know.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiating. You are presented an offer and either accept or decline.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cox Communications

Worked for Cox Communications? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cox Communications Technical Support Representative interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by Cox Communications employees and interview candidates.