Cox Communications

Relevance Date Difficulty

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Recruiting Coordinator
Herndon, VA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Cox Communications.

Interview Details – I was found by a recruiting agency. After the screening by the agency, I was selected to move forward and interview with members of the Cox Communication HR team. This was an in person interview, with two members of the recruiting team. They asked me several questions about my background, why I was looking, and made sure I understand what they were looking for. There was nothing unsual about the interview process.

After my in person interview, I was made an offer later that afternoon, and brought in to start 4 days later.

Interview Question – There was not a question that I found difficult. I was expected to answer the normal questions, which were all covered during this interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not in a position to negotiate. I was hired on as a contract employee, and was thankful for the opportunity. Plus they offered what I was looking for.

Very Easy Interview

Customer Loyalty Representative Interview

Customer Loyalty Representative
Herndon, VA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cox Communications in February 2011.

Interview Details – I met the Cox guys at a job fair and gave them my resume for a "sales position." I was called a week and a half later to come into the office and take a sales test. For whatever reason, the HR lady gave me the wrong name of the head of HR that I was supposed to meet with, so there was a bit of confusion. They were also confused as to why I hadn't created an online profile on the career portion of their website. They had never told me too. This hung up the start of the sales assessment test. This test consisted of a computer personality test and then a test about our competency answering the phone. The personality test was a joke, first question - "Elephant starts with the letter..." The second test was also extremely easy, it is usually completed in 40 minutes. I finished in 19, as did another guy. Afterwards, the HR director told me that his computer results said I was "highly qualified" for the job. A week later I did a phone interview with the HR head. This interview was easy as well. Finally I was called in for a panel discussion with the two managers. This consisted of 8-10 questions regarding specific situations. My previous work experience made this also an easy interview. I was a bit confused as to why I couldn't see the call center after this interview. They told me I would see it during orientation. I had asked what the environment was like during the phone interview and was told "cheery." That's a first. They left the room and the HR head returned five minutes later saying I was hired. I ended up choosing a position with a different company.

Overall the interview process was easy. The money sounds pretty good, but sitting in a call center sounds like the worst job ever. While the interviewing was easy, the HR head, folks in the office and the manager were all very professional, a good group of people and very easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when a problem arose at a work place and you had to fix it. What was the outcome?   Answer Question
  • Describe a time when a customer was uhappy and you dealt with it. What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Working in a call center environment where I would be answering calls from people trying to cancel their service and my job it to convince them not to, then upsell them is a position that I did not want. It sounds like you can make somewhere between 45-50k in your first year. I don't care how bad the economy is, I'll take my sanity and not sit in a call center with pissed off people calling in than the cash.

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive
Herndon, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cox Communications in September 2010.

Interview Details – Initial interview was a phone screening with Human Resources which was basic and pleasant. She described the position and inquired about my experiene.

First Interview was a panel with the Sales Manager and District Manager. It was very thorough and organized. They laid out the format of the interview detailing how many questions they would ask, what kind of questions they would be, and the format of the response that they required.

The first section was to review my resume and former positions.

The second were 6 specific questions that they wanted me to answer in the form of: what was the situation, what action did I take, and what was the outcome of the situation. In addition they wanted me to specifically detail the customer name and which company my example was in reference to.

In the final portion I was asked to sit privately for 5 minutes and think of any questions I had for them. And also to give them several reasons why I would be the best candidate for the position.

The Sales Manager was an amiable type who smiled a lot and gave lots of reassurances. The District Manager was more closed in his demeanor. He was the type to throw around names and relationships and look for commonalities.

I was invited to come back to meet with the VP of Sales. He and I met in one of their small rooms, they have a special name for the rooms. Glass wall, one table, with 2 chairs, a phone, a whiteboard, and a clock. It was scheduled for a short visit, maybe 30 minutes. It was more like a chat or conversation than interview.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you underestimated the client you were meeting with and what happened.   Answer Question

Learning Consultant Interview

Learning Consultant
Herndon, VA

The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Cox Communications in September 2010.

Interview Details – Two phone interviews - one with the recruiter + the other with the hiring manager - followed by an on-site interview with a panel and a sample 15-minute presentation to audience of 10-12 employees. Brief Q&A afterward followed by debrief. All in all, the process took almost 3 hours but required extensive preparation and practice.
Overall, I would rate the experience as highly negative not so much because of the experience itself but because the entire process was a waste of time. They had an internal candidate who was already selected, but they had to go through the motions to make it look official. As a result, I wasted an afternoon that could have been spent pursuing more productive leads (i.e., ones that were actually open) AND the company probably wasted over a thousand dollars of employees' time making them meet with me when they already had made a selection. It would have been more professional to have simply stopped the process after my 2nd interview vs. making me go through the effort and preparation for a 3rd interview - a stressful panel one at that - and do a presentation geared toward their needs. Highly unethical, in my opinion.

Interview Question – What is the difference between training and consulting?   View Answer

Worked for Cox Communications? Contribute to the Community!