Cox Media Group Interview Questions

Updated Jul 14, 2015

2.8

UI Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dunwoody, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cox Media Group (Dunwoody, GA) in March 2015.

Interview

Started with a phone screen with the development manager to access basic skills. I was asked to perform an interesting technical challenge to see how I code. This was submitted within about a week. After a few days I had a group interview with five individuals from various departments in Cox Media Group.

Senior Product Manager - Gamut AdTech Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Cox Media Group (South San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

A direct placement agency called and the whole process was super quick. After a call with the hiring manager, I was invited to interview the team, which consisted of the head of engineering, product, a peer interview, and the final interview with the hiring manager, who's the VP of product at Gamut. The people were great, very interactive, and the space is super exciting. They are solving some big problems in ad inventory /resell optimization. Very data and experiment driven, which is a huge point of reference and validation. Their product team is fairly young and going through some growing pains at the moment. They really liked my thinking process and experience, and I had an offer the next day.

Interview Questions

• If you have a critical defect and a feature, how do you determine which one to prioritize? Let's say, there is measurable detriment from the bug each day it's not fixed and value from implementing the feature. Bug takes x days to fix, while feature takes x+n   1 Answer
    • Can you walk me through your understanding of the ad ecosystem and the role Gamut plays in it?   1 Answer
    • How does Gamut make revenue?   1 Answer

Competing offer from a company closer to my experience and current interests, but the offer was very attractive and I would consider them again in a heartbeat!

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cox Media Group.

Interview

Gave resume to recruiters at a school job fair then re-applied online a week later. Shortly after, I got an email from the Talent Acquisition Consultant to set up a phone screen for the following week. I was surprised because I had no prior sales experience other than a year at a clothing store. Questions were not too hard, just had to think. The screen lasted about 45 minutes. Didn't qualify for a face-to-face interview and received a generic "sorry you weren't picked" email a few weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what you know about Cox Media. Do you have a love of sales? Do you or your friends think you're too intense?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cox Media Group.

Interview

Two interviews were made without major complications. Easy questions and to the point. They really need to cover the position soon. Easy access to the interviewer and to the hiring manager.

Negotiation

Not easy.

Senior Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cox Media Group (Atlanta, GA) in May 2014.

Interview

Very nice people and they were kind enough to tell me that I was not selected and WHY (makes a huge difference). Even though I wasn't hired, the people and process made me like the company more.

Interview Questions

• What percentage of project management is art and science?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Interview

Rigorous and absurdly outdated consisting of at least a dozen interviews that seemed to be almost 50% fraternity hazing and 50% 1960s ad-exec role playing a la Mad Men. If you can't "sell them this pen," you seem unnatural and are bullied by middle management. For relocation, when you're offered a pay increase, it only gets calculated into the very complicated compensation/commission system and you may not actually be receiving any more money.

Interview Questions

• Even though you're selling to established clients on an agency list, you may be asked to sell your interviewer a pen. That's on the off-chance that the person interviewing you has any sales experience themselves.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation

Packaging Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Franklin, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Cox Media Group (Franklin, OH) in November 2013.

Interview

Very quick process. The lady found my resume online. She contacted me and set me up with a interview. When I was here there was 25 other people having the same interview. So you could call it a group interview I guess. She then gave us a tour of the place. The next week I started. Let me tell you, this is a very fast paced job. You are expected to know how to do everything proficiently the first day of training.

Negotiation

No negotiating. They do offer pay increases quit frequently.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cox Media Group.

Interview

Interview process is very lengthy. First you might be contacted by recruiter to screen and ask several questions which are recorded for the manager to listen to she how you answered. "Weird". If they feel that you are a possible match they will send your resume to a manager. If you get a interview with the manager it is very lacked and non intimidating. If they feel you are good fit they will schedule a time for you to interview with the VP. Once you meet with the VP and he/she feels that you might be a good fit for the organization he/she will have you setup a time for take a recorded call to answer several employment personality questions. This takes about an hour. Cox Media is very big on this test and will not hire you based upon some of your answer. I find this to be a very negative approach to hiring. I understand why they do it but to turn down a proven qualified candidate due to a few question baffles me. Overall, I felt the interview process was normal and the managers and VP were very friendly and easy to speak with. Best of luck and hope this helps.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Cox Media Group (New York, NY) in July 2013.

Interview

Employee Referral, very easy to get hired here if you know someone.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation, entry level salary take it or leave it.

Plant Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Cox Media Group in May 2013.

Interview

Not pleased with lack of establishing exactly what they are looking for. Recruiter said one thing but mgmt said another. I waited in the lobby for 30 minutes and one of their assistants came down and like a restaurant patron to a server with the index finger wave signaled me over and was kind of rude.

Interview Questions

• What are you prejudiced against. They were referring to a group of people, Really? Who asks that?   Answer Question