Cracker Barrel

Updated Feb 25, 2015

2.1

Anonymous Employee in Trussville, AL
    Anonymous Employee in Trussville, AL

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cracker Barrel in September 2014.

I walk into the resteraunt and receive an application from the cashier. I filled it out in my car, and I took it back inside. The cashier then lets the other employees know that there was an applicant that turned in his application with his communication device. Then I am directed by a waitress to sit in the third section of seating and told that a manager will come and interview me. A few minutes later the manager comes, and we talk for a minute. He was very nice and laid back. I forgot to fill out the opposite side of the cream-colored form. I didn't notice it, and when the manager turned the back page over, I apologized for not filling it out. I felt pretty bad for not checking it. He asked me if I had any previous work experience. I said no. He asked me why I wanted to work for Cracker Barrel, and I told him that the reasons why I wanted to do so was because I loved the food, and I just wanted to start somewhere as being a server if they hired me. This is my first interview as an applicant for a business! I'd say it wasn't bad.

General Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cracker Barrel.

Phone Interview, personality test, second face-to-face interview. The process took several weeks to complete which was frustrating. I was relatively available at the time, so it definitely felt like I was working around their schedule which made me feel not wanted.

Interview Questions
    • Math portion was unexpected and quite long. I am relatively good at math so did not struggle with it, but took my time through it because I wanted to do my best. I thought it was excessive but went with the flow.   Answer Question
    I did negotiate. I learned long time ago to never take a step backwards. They slightly exceeded my offer which told me I could have went a bit higher, but I was satisfied at the time.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Clairsville, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Saint Clairsville, OH

I applied in-person – interviewed at Cracker Barrel.

Very quick and straight forward. They just want to know about your availability to work and you can't have any visible tattoos, painted nails, out of the ordinary piercings, or a crazy color of hair.

Food Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grapevine, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grapevine, TX

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Cracker Barrel in August 2014.

I had a face to face interview with two managers, was hired that day, and started training two days later. They were very professional, likeable, and accomodating to my needs.

Interview Questions
    • Experience, training, hours needed, pay needed, transportation   Answer Question

GM Interview

good , they make u feel go and then treat u like a dog. ask you about ur last job , how do u manages/ do u hold ppl accountable ,

bt li

Par IV Server Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kankakee, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Kankakee, IL

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cracker Barrel.

Quick easy in and out hired on the spot! They hired me while I was currently pregnant.. They dont discriminate at all!
    They had a great person for the orientation. I loved it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

I applied in-person – interviewed at Cracker Barrel.

It takes three interviews with different managers to be hired ending with the GM making the final decision. There is lots of computer work after hired. 5 days of very good training. Cracker Barrel will hire servers with no experience if they feel you have the personality for the position.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are easy and basic, why do you want do work here, where have you worked before, server experience etc.   Answer Question

Hostess/Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cracker Barrel.

Walked into local store and filled out the application when I returned home. I came back in dress shirt and tie and interviewed quickly because of the general manager knowing me as an acquaintance. Even without knowing anyone, getting hired as a host/server is very easy usually as long as you are very friendly and "pleasing people" is natural to you. If you always smile and are positive, you should easily have the job. Then, 90 days and you can be working as a grill cook, prep cook, cashier, retail... You must make multiple personal stops by the store to check on your application and not take it personal when assistant managers keep giving you the run around about your application! Most of the time, if you go in and a manager shrugs you off, go in again and another manager will likely give you a chance... if not, do it again and find another manager who will finally set you up an interview. DO NOT take a manager giving you the "we will look at your application and contact you if we are interested" personal, and believe they really will. Go in and give them a personal encounter with you, just make sure it is between two and four pm, during the weekdays, not friday, saturday, or sunday please. Going in during peak times is a sure way to set you up for failure.

No negotiation sought, I was happy with a foot in the door.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anderson, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anderson, IN

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cracker Barrel in July 2014.

I went in on July 4th to apply for the position of server. I filled out an application in the store, then turned it in that day. I was told I would have been interviewed that day had it not been so busy. Instead, I was told I would be called to schedule an interview. I waited a week and heard nothing. One week after turning in my application, I went in, asked to see a manager, and inquired as to whether I was waiting in vain for the call. He told me that they typically interview on weekdays between 2-4 and that I could either come in later that day or Monday. I chose to interview at 3:15 that day. I went in, told the cashier I was their for an interview, and waited for the manager to show me where to go. I was told to sit at an empty table in the third section of the restaurant. The manager was already there interviewing someone else; I had to wait for that interview to finish, then was asked to move to the table he was at. He asked me several questions about previous restaurant experience (of which I have none), and I was asked several questions that were too strange to answer in a straight forward way. After a pretty iffy interview, he asked what I would bring to the company. Having learned everything I could about Cracker Barrel and its history, I pretty much just geeked out on him about everything I knew. He laughed, said "that's actually pretty scary, I guess we pretty much have to hire you now", then told me I could come back for a second interview the following week. He did, however, put me down as interviewing for a hostess, server instead of just the server position that I wanted. Still waiting for the second interview, which I have tomorrow.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a situation in which your actions didn't match up with your meaning.   View Answer
    • If Mr. Peters asked for a Bacon Cheeseburger and fries, what do you bring him?   View Answer
    No negotiation yet. I still have the second interview to do. You can't negotiate your hourly pay, but I've heard they'll work with you on how many hours you need to get by.

Retail Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Cracker Barrel in July 2014.

I originally applied online for a cracker barrel near me that was just opening. After about 3 days I received a phone call stating that they had seen my online application and wanted me to come in sometime Monday-Friday Between 9-5 and fill out an application and get an interview on the spot. I came and filled out the application in person I had originally applied for a busser/dishwasher job. One of the managers told me that they didn't have time that specific day for an interview but scheduled a specific time for the following week for me to go in for an interview. By the time I came in for my interview the restaurant was actually opened. They called in a manager and she interviewed me at an empty table and she offered me something to drink. Originally I met with one of the managers who decided that I wouldn't be the best fit for a busser/dishwasher job. As soon as one of the other managers sat down with me for the interview it became clear that they intended to give me a job. I brought in a resume that only had my volunteer experience since after all this will be my first job. She looked over that and my resume. Next we talked about what position would fit me best and she suggested a retail job. Basically she said I would greet customers, help them if they need anything, and gift wrap since they offer gift wrapping for free year round. I wrote on my application and hinted in the interview that I would also be interested in a hostess position. She told me that the host positions are currently full but if they needed someone I would be able to become a hostess. We talked about my plans for college and my ability to transfer and start cross-training for other positions once I become 18 since I am currently a rising high school senior. She had me fill out different paper work which basically told her when I would be available to work during the summer and she had me write down separately when I would be able to work during the school year. Then I signed a paper stating I had never committed a felony etc. Then she gave me a paper telling me what the uniform was and a list of things to bring to the orientation and we scheduled my orientation for next week. I look forward to working there as my first job :)

Interview Questions
    • Do you plan to go to a local college?
      Are you interested in retail?

Answer Question