Cracker Barrel

2.1

Hostess/Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cracker Barrel.

Walked into local store and filled out the application when I returned home. I came back in dress shirt and tie and interviewed quickly because of the general manager knowing me as an acquaintance. Even without knowing anyone, getting hired as a host/server is very easy usually as long as you are very friendly and "pleasing people" is natural to you. If you always smile and are positive, you should easily have the job. Then, 90 days and you can be working as a grill cook, prep cook, cashier, retail... You must make multiple personal stops by the store to check on your application and not take it personal when assistant managers keep giving you the run around about your application! Most of the time, if you go in and a manager shrugs you off, go in again and another manager will likely give you a chance... if not, do it again and find another manager who will finally set you up an interview. DO NOT take a manager giving you the "we will look at your application and contact you if we are interested" personal, and believe they really will. Go in and give them a personal encounter with you, just make sure it is between two and four pm, during the weekdays, not friday, saturday, or sunday please. Going in during peak times is a sure way to set you up for failure.

No negotiation sought, I was happy with a foot in the door.

Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anderson, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anderson, IN

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cracker Barrel in July 2014.

I went in on July 4th to apply for the position of server. I filled out an application in the store, then turned it in that day. I was told I would have been interviewed that day had it not been so busy. Instead, I was told I would be called to schedule an interview. I waited a week and heard nothing. One week after turning in my application, I went in, asked to see a manager, and inquired as to whether I was waiting in vain for the call. He told me that they typically interview on weekdays between 2-4 and that I could either come in later that day or Monday. I chose to interview at 3:15 that day. I went in, told the cashier I was their for an interview, and waited for the manager to show me where to go. I was told to sit at an empty table in the third section of the restaurant. The manager was already there interviewing someone else; I had to wait for that interview to finish, then was asked to move to the table he was at. He asked me several questions about previous restaurant experience (of which I have none), and I was asked several questions that were too strange to answer in a straight forward way. After a pretty iffy interview, he asked what I would bring to the company. Having learned everything I could about Cracker Barrel and its history, I pretty much just geeked out on him about everything I knew. He laughed, said "that's actually pretty scary, I guess we pretty much have to hire you now", then told me I could come back for a second interview the following week. He did, however, put me down as interviewing for a hostess, server instead of just the server position that I wanted. Still waiting for the second interview, which I have tomorrow.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a situation in which your actions didn't match up with your meaning.   View Answer
    • If Mr. Peters asked for a Bacon Cheeseburger and fries, what do you bring him?   View Answer
    No negotiation yet. I still have the second interview to do. You can't negotiate your hourly pay, but I've heard they'll work with you on how many hours you need to get by.

Retail Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Cracker Barrel in July 2014.

I originally applied online for a cracker barrel near me that was just opening. After about 3 days I received a phone call stating that they had seen my online application and wanted me to come in sometime Monday-Friday Between 9-5 and fill out an application and get an interview on the spot. I came and filled out the application in person I had originally applied for a busser/dishwasher job. One of the managers told me that they didn't have time that specific day for an interview but scheduled a specific time for the following week for me to go in for an interview. By the time I came in for my interview the restaurant was actually opened. They called in a manager and she interviewed me at an empty table and she offered me something to drink. Originally I met with one of the managers who decided that I wouldn't be the best fit for a busser/dishwasher job. As soon as one of the other managers sat down with me for the interview it became clear that they intended to give me a job. I brought in a resume that only had my volunteer experience since after all this will be my first job. She looked over that and my resume. Next we talked about what position would fit me best and she suggested a retail job. Basically she said I would greet customers, help them if they need anything, and gift wrap since they offer gift wrapping for free year round. I wrote on my application and hinted in the interview that I would also be interested in a hostess position. She told me that the host positions are currently full but if they needed someone I would be able to become a hostess. We talked about my plans for college and my ability to transfer and start cross-training for other positions once I become 18 since I am currently a rising high school senior. She had me fill out different paper work which basically told her when I would be available to work during the summer and she had me write down separately when I would be able to work during the school year. Then I signed a paper stating I had never committed a felony etc. Then she gave me a paper telling me what the uniform was and a list of things to bring to the orientation and we scheduled my orientation for next week. I look forward to working there as my first job :)

Interview Questions
    • Do you plan to go to a local college?
      Are you interested in retail?
        Answer Question
    there was no negotiation she offered me 8.50 an hour and I gladly accepted

Hostess Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Cracker Barrel.

I put in an application at the store and was instantly given an interview with an associate manager. He then told me that my second interview would be the general manager and gave me the time of the interview. I had my second interview with the general manager and was offered the job. He had me come back two days later so fill out my paperwork and then he gave me my start date.

Interview Questions
    • How well you do you handle conflict with other people?   View Answer

Host/Server/Bus Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gardendale, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gardendale, AL

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Cracker Barrel in June 2014.

I applied in person and they told me to come back 2 days later on a monday around 2:30. I went and had an interview with an associates manager. She told me to come back the next day around the same time to have another interview. I talked to a different associates manager on the second day and she told me to come back the next day to have another interview. When I arrived on the 3rd interview to cracker barrel, they seemed to be at a busy time in the day. I stood around for 5 minutes waitng to talk to the general manager, but he was busy also. ANOTHER associates manager came around and informed me that there was a conference call that the GM had to attend to but he would try to squeeze me in beforehand. I stood around waiting for another 10 minutes until the same Associate manager sat me down for an interview. A few minutes into this one, the restaurant was getting crowded and the associates manager had to go help. He told me they would call in a week about it. Never got a call back. called after a week and they just told me my application would be in there for 30 days.

Cashier/Retail Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cracker Barrel in May 2014.

I went to my local Cracker Barrel and applied in person and was interviewed that same day by the Male Manager. After the interview he told me I was qualified for the position and told me twice he would call me for a second interview with the other manager (who was just hired) when he got her schedule in order. Two weeks later and have heard nothing from them, guess honesty isn't their first priority. I have another job now, but if you say you're going to call someone then you should it's common curiosity, and Cracker Barrel at least the one in my town is seriously lacking it.

Dishwasher/Busboy Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cracker Barrel in May 2014.

The interview was very short and easy. The manager asked very basic questions. They were in immediate need for a busser so I was hired on the spot. Initally, I did not have a very good experience starting out; during orientation I arrived in the wrong colored shirt and was sent home, then there was an issue with my social security number and was not paid for weeks. Luckily the manager was nice enough to work through all of these issues with me and now I enjoy it.

Bussing is a very physically demanding job and we earn our pay.

I couldn't argue with $8.35 per hour

Retail Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cracker Barrel.

I called the store just to ask about hiring opps for 16 year olds & was asked to come in! I came in, was interviewed with manager for servers & then was referred to retail manager. I was interviewed by her a few days later, then called back for interview with the store manager. The interview with the store manager was really nice, she & I just talked about the role I would have, she got to know me, & got a feel of my personality. The interview with the store manager was a bit more intense and straightforward!

Interview Questions
    • Suprisingly, I wasn't prepared to answer-- "How do you expect to handle this and your heavy school work?"   Answer Question

Communications Specialist Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cracker Barrel.

First interviewed with HR then the department manager and department head. Everyone reviewed my portfolio and asked typical behavior type questions. Describe a difficult situation you have handled. What do you do with a difficult coworker? Those type of questions.

Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Cracker Barrel.

hr interview, and an interview with a district manager and possibly general manager before being hired. 6 weeks training out of state.