Cracker Barrel

Relevance Date Difficulty

Hostess Interview

Hostess
Sturbridge, MA

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Cracker Barrel in August 2013.

Interview Details – The manager there, who is no longer working (was fired) basically gave me an interview on the spot without seeing an application. He gave me a date for an interview and had me fill it out and bring it with me then. I was offered a job as a server, but after reviewing my availability, they told me they could only accept me as a hostess. The only way you can cross train is when you receive your second "star" which is basically after you pass a test on hospitality and knowledge of your job, you receive a star along with a 12-14% raise in your paycheck.

Interview Question – What is your biggest flaw.   View Answer

Dishwasher Interview

Dishwasher

Interviewed at Cracker Barrel

Interview Details – Applied through snag-a-job, was contacted a few days later. No questions were asked; the manager simply explained the job duties. We both agreed I wasn't a fit.

Cashier/Retail Interview

Cashier/Retail
Lubbock, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cracker Barrel in October 2013.

Interview Details – There are two interviews in the hiring process. The first interview is with one of the store managers and the second interview is with the GM.

Interview Question – Be prepared to be asked why you want to work for Cracker Barrel and to describe any previous experiences at the restaurant.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to ask off work for every Saturday that Texas Tech had a home football game.

Cook Interview

Cook

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cracker Barrel.

Interview Details – The more ex-employees that there are, or the more smart individuals that go to this site prior to applying for this job, the less people want to apply. This is why they will hire almost anyone that applies. They sit you down at a table in the dining room, ask you a couple questions to make the attempt at interviewing and to make you feel you need to work a little at getting this job, but the truth is, if you show for the interview, you're hired. Believe me I have seen some people hired that never tucked in a shirt, and still didn't after repeated warnings from management.

Interview Question – There really isn't a difficult question they ask. They want to hire you. They need to hire you.   Answer Question

Server Interview

Server
West Valley City, UT

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Cracker Barrel in January 2014.

Interview Details – One of the 5 managers (supervisors) interviewed me. He asked me various questions. Some of them were weird, like how much money I needed to make a week to pay my bills. Some of them normal, like how many hours I would like to work & what days I would be available to work. Apparently they only hire part-time though at this location. Something came across to me as odd during the interview about how the interviewer was talking & asking questions but couldn't place my finger on it. He was kinda skiddish & liked to talk, like he was reiterating the same points in different ways about the company. Almost like he was trying to make the company sound more desirable to work for then it was.

Interview Question – Most unexpected question was if I wanted to come back for a second interview. Apparently there are levels in the interview process. Supervisor level & General Manager level.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Cambridge, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cracker Barrel in September 2013.

Interview Details – I went in to shop one day, and began conversing with one of the sales associates, who I knew personally. I had mentioned how I had always wanted to work in their retail store, and next thing I knew, I was speaking with the retail manager. She hired me on the spot for the Christmas season, and now I will be working year-round, and am loving it!

Interview Question – There were no difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The hiring process is very cut-and-dry, and these are minimum-wage entry jobs. There is not much to discuss...

Very Easy Interview

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Chattanooga, TN

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Cracker Barrel in March 2013.

Interview Details – Interview with front of store manager. Will be contacted within a week after interview. Will ask what hours/days you are available, and if you can work opening and closing hours.

Interview Question – Register has complicated system. I solved it by making "crib sheets" with various steps for each kind of transaction.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Do not hesitate to tell interviewer if you have certain days you are absolutely unable to work. It helps to be clear up front!

Associate Manager Interview

Associate Manager
Orlando, FL

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cracker Barrel.

Interview Details – Received a call because my resume was seen online. Set up HR interview which lead to an interview with the District Manager, which went very well. He was extremely easy to talk to and made me feel at ease.

Interview Question – Just your basics "strengths and weaknesses" type. I think because of my experience and references, they kept it pretty straightforward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, offer was very generous.

Server Trainer Interview

Server Trainer
Titusville, FL

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Cracker Barrel.

Interview Details – I was interviewed along with hundreds of other prospective employees prior to the grand opening. I was interviewed by two assistant managers and lastly by the general manager. I was hired on the spot.

Interview Question – I was asked why Cracker Barrel should hire me over any of the other hundred people waiting?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiations as we all were hired at a set hourly wage according to Cracker Barrel policy.

General Manager Interview

General Manager
Lebanon, TN

I applied online and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Cracker Barrel.

Interview Details – A long process with a lot of testing

Interview Question – the IQ portion of the testing was the most difficult - it was a 4 hour test   View Answer