Craigslist

1 candidate interview
Relevance Date Difficulty

Systems Administrator Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Craigslist in January 2014.

Interview Details – The process was this: I sent my resume in, then long after writing it off due to non-response, I get a response after one month inviting me to a phone screen. The phone call went well (70 minutes), and after a couple of hours, I was invited in to the office on Sutter for a panel interview with the CTO, Ops director, and two of the Ops admins. This took about three hours. Benefits and such were detailed at the end of that interview, so it seemed like I was getting somewhere.

Again, a couple of hours after that interview, I was invited for another round with the CEO, CTO, Ops director, and two different Ops admins. This one was awkward and I was a bit taken aback by the CEO's aloof behavior (he came into the interview and didn't even acknowledge me, sitting behind me to my right listening in instead of interacting). Aside from that, the interview progressed for three hours just like the previous one. At the end, benefits (they're great) were re-iterated and salary was discussed. Things were looking good, except for a bit of hesitation on the CTO's part regarding the rest of the process, wherein he mentioned the presence of more candidates. Given that shaky signal, I gave myself a 50/50 chance of hearing anything positive back.

The wait after that Thursday was odd. I was told I would hear back on Monday or Tuesday. On Tuesday afternoon, I politely wrote the internal recruiter (there was no direct contact with the actual team) to get an update, and was told I should hear something by Wednesday. Wednesday came and went, and early Thursday morning I received a terse email from the recruiter stating, simply "At this time, we will not be making you an offer; [...] We wish you the best of luck and much success." I replied, asking for any feedback they might want to share, and received exactly nothing in response.

Interview Question – The technical questions in the interview were all run of the mill ops questions--mostly scenarios, the mandatory hard link/soft link question, and a suspicious but not altogether regrettable lack of the fizzbuzz treatment. In fact, no coding exercises were done at all, which I found odd.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Craigslist? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Craigslist interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Craigslist employees and interview candidates.