Crain Communications Interview Questions

Updated Apr 18, 2015

2.8

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Crain Communications (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Interview was really casual. Sat down with the two other researchers and it was more of them telling me what they were expecting than hammering out questions at me. They did inquire about my past experience and my resume and how I would contribute to the team.

Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Crain Communications.

Interview

Interviewed for a few coordinator positions. Enjoyed meeting with the different teams and members of the team. Be prepared to know the different publications and be able to speak to them and answer why you want to work there. Be ready for a "Human" Resources department that lacks organization and tact when talking to potential candidates.

Reporter Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Crain Communications (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Recruiter does a phone interview and then sends it to the hiring manager

It seems really unorganized. I got an email at 9:30pm asking for a phone interview at 6:30am the next day. The next morning I never got the call so I emailed and rescheduled it. It was an awkward interview because she was typing the answers so there were big pauses.

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Crain Communications.

Interview

The first step was a phone interview with HR, followed by a second phone interview with the respective management, then closed with a final in-person interview.

All times, the Crain team was welcoming and enthusiastic about the position and company as a whole.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was too difficult. The team accommodated very well.   Answer Question

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Crain Communications (Detroit, MI) in June 2014.

Interview

I applied online and contacted the HR representative that I had previously met notifying them of my application. I had a phone interview with HR a couple days later, and then proceeded to have phone interviews with two managers that I would be working with. After that, I was asked to come into the office and interview with HR in person and also the manager. The HR interviews were very simple, basic questions that seemed to be just for screening purposes. The interviews with the managers were more in depth, asking about certain projects I've worked on and discussing trends in digital & print media that I thought were interesting. All in all, it was a very friendly and easy interview process.

Interview Questions

• Name 3 websites in which you visit every day that represents digital trends that you enjoy.   Answer Question

Reporter Interview

Interview

First review was a basic one with HR. Then had a phone interview with editor, followed by in person interview.

Assistant Interview

Interview

After files the application I relieved an e-mail and set up an interview date. After settling on a date and time the interview was professional, but laid back. The interviewer was very conversational, but very concise. Overall it was a very pleasant process.

Interview Questions

• Because I came prepared I didn't find any of the questions difficult; much about skills, what's expected, one's confidence and expectations.   Answer Question

Editor Interview

Interview

They set up an interview with me based on an internship I had there years prior. It was a fairly straightforward process.

Interview Questions

• The typical what's your worst trait type behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Regional Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Crain Communications.

Interview

A detailed and effective interview process that initially takes some time, but then moves very quickly. Screening takes a while, but once you get to in-person interviews at the location, you'll not be left waiting, one way or another. HR are friendly and "human" which is rare as most job seekers know.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It was painless. Corporate HR and the local management worked very well together.

Marketing Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Crain Communications (Chicago, IL) in October 2010.

Interview

I found the positon via job boards online and applied. Someone from the company called me back within a few days. We scheduled a phone interview. The day of the interview I made sure I was prepared and had a quiet location to speak in. 10 mins past our set time, nothing, 30 mins, 60 mins.... nothing. I called her and left a message and NEVER received any call back as an apology or to reschedule. This made me realize I would not want to work for a company that was so unprofessional.