Crate & Barrel

Average Difficulty
69 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Crate & Barrel in June 2014.

Interview Details – There were a total of three interviews. The first was on the phone with a manager, we set up an in store interview. Then after that, came the second in store interview. THEN I met with the general manager three days later, she told me to give her two hours after meeting with her. The first manager I met with called me thirty minutes later and offered me the job :) They ask the usual retail questions.. Make sure you know the history of the establishment! It's definitely a plus!

Interview Question – What do you know about Crate and Barrel?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Very upfront about what to expect from them..

Department Manager Interview

Department Manager

Interviewed at Crate & Barrel

Interview Details – A phone interview and then 2 in person interviews. The first in person interview was with the assistant manager and the second was with the store manager. I was given an offer at the end of the second interview.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Call Center Associate Interview

Call Center Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Crate & Barrel in May 2013.

Interview Details – . I applied 2 weeks before and I got a call with HR which was very upfront and then scheduled in for a 1:1 The manager was very friendly and personable. The interview was relaxed and more like a chat than an interview. The interview lasted not more than 40 minutes . I got a call and job cthe same day.

Interview Question – There was nothing difficult just basic customer care and was a call center environment is.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Seasonal Sales Associate
Austin, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Crate & Barrel.

Interview Details – Very paper driven process which is kind of weird in 2014. Turned in paper application to physical location. Met with sales manager who interviewed from very standard question set. I could have been applying for ANY customer service job they were so generic. When entering the store I always look to see if employees are smiling/happy or look haggard/angry/upset. Luckily most everyone at this store gets along and are happy people regardless of what's going on. Very low stress.

Interview Question – There was nothing crazy or unexpected from interview. Really was text book customer service questions. I thought they were really boring and anyone could have memorized what to answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, hourly rate provided

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern

I applied online and interviewed at Crate & Barrel.

Interview Details – I applied online and got contacted back in three days for a phone interview but I had to follow up several times before setting up the actual interview. Interview itself wasn't bad -- it was my first so I was nervous but all of them were behavioral and nothing too out of the blue.
I wish the process had been more smooth though -- it was very frustrating to keep following up and not get any responses.

Part-Time Sales Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Crate & Barrel in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and a week later I received an email asking for a phone interview. The same day, I did the phone interview. It went well and got asked to come in store to do a one on one interview with the Sales Manager. The interview wasn't that bad. She just asked a few a questions. She asked me to talk about the experiences and what were my duties. She also asked me why I wanted to worked in Crate and Barrel. After she asked questions, she asked me to take a product on the floor and try to sell it to her as if she was a customer and so I did. After she said that she was sold. The interview took about 30 minutes. She walked me out and she said that there was going to be another interview if I was chosen. Two days after, I received a call to come in for a last interview. There was 6 other candidates. I came in a few days later and I was later for 3 minutes because I lived fairly far. Two people interviewed me this time, one was a Merchandise Manager. They only asked me 2 questions about focused on customer service. It took like 15 minutes overall. They Merch Manager noticed that I was a few minutes late and told me that attendance is really important. A week later I got a letter in the mail that said that I didn't get the job. I thought I did really well on the interview though but I think that Merchandise Manager didn't pick me because I was late. But I lived far and it took me like an hour to get there and it was a $10 trip for me. It was a waste of time honestly because I put time and money into come to only be interviewed for 15 minutes. BS really. My trip there was way longer.

Interview Question – Tell me about your past work experiences   Answer Question

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Part Time Sales Associate
Beverly Hills, CA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Crate & Barrel.

Interview Details – Applied in store using paper application. Was called back to schedule interview. Interviewed in store, was hired at the end of the interview. Staff was very friendly to me throughout the process, and seemed to really enjoy their jobs.

Interview Question – It was a pretty standard interview, focused mainly on customer service situations. Nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase, I was offered a position and hourly rate, which I accepted.

Houston, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Crate & Barrel in November 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview and then in person interview at the store.

Negotiation Details – No negotiations possible. 10.00 an hour even if you have NO experience and the same pay if you ran a business yourself for many years. They simply don't care.

Stock Associate Interview

Stock Associate
Broomfield, CO

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Crate & Barrel in August 2012.

Interview Details – I saw the job posting on my college job board. I needed a part time job that wasn't delivery driving until the wee hours of the morning. I brought in my resume to the store, but ended up just filling out an application on the spot. I couldn't give my app directly to a manager or even talk to one. I was a little offended, but learned that's just their policy after I got the job. I got a call after a few days to come in and interview. Very laid back I met with a sales manager. We sat on the couches and chatted for about 20 minutes. I initially got called back to learn that I didn't get the job. A few days later I got called again saying their first choice dropped out and I got the job after all. I got the job right before school started for me and they were totally fine working with my class schedule right from the start, so that was nice.

Interview Question – Why are you passionate about our product line?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Part time jobs don't leave much negotiation. The pay was better than what I had at previous jobs so I was content.

Merchandise Team Member Interview

Merchandise Team Member
Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Crate & Barrel in January 2012.

Interview Details – Hiring process was fine not to long.

Interview Question – They just want people that are fully available, so they can work 18 hrs a week.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Crate & Barrel

Worked for Crate & Barrel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Crate & Barrel interview questions and advice. All 69 interview reviews posted anonymously by Crate & Barrel employees and interview candidates.