Crate & Barrel

Average Difficulty
16 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Crate & Barrel.

Interview Details – I applied through a Craigslist ad and got called for a phone interview. At the end of the phone interview, I was invited to an in-person interview that same week. The interview went well. I really connected with the manager. I got a call that afternoon with a job offer.

Interview Question – What's your biggest pet peeve when it comes to dealing with your coworkers?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No opportunity to negotiate.

Austin, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Crate & Barrel.

Interview Details – Very paper driven process which is kind of weird in 2014. Turned in paper application to physical location. Met with sales manager who interviewed from very standard question set. I could have been applying for ANY customer service job they were so generic. When entering the store I always look to see if employees are smiling/happy or look haggard/angry/upset. Luckily most everyone at this store gets along and are happy people regardless of what's going on. Very low stress.

Interview Question – There was nothing crazy or unexpected from interview. Really was text book customer service questions. I thought they were really boring and anyone could have memorized what to answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, hourly rate provided

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Crate & Barrel in November 2013.

Interview Details – Take note that this is for one of the outlets, not the store.

I applied to a job posting online through indeed.com, which led me to the company's website. A few days later, I got a call from the store's manager asking me about a time we could set up an interview. Three days later, the interview happened. It wasn't really much of an interview, but more of a store tour and description of the job. Towards the end, the manager had me fill out the application again (we chatted a bit while I filled out the required information), and he told me that he would "definitely" call me back--which he did a few days later. He asked if I was still interested in the position and told me to come a few days later to fill out some more paperwork.

Overall, the experience was great. I felt comfortable talking with the manager--it was almost like talking to a friend. Very laid back.

Interview Question – He just asked about my previous retail experience. I had very little, but made it known that my first job was a seasonal position that required me to work fast in a hi-traffic environment, which I think he liked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. I wasn't going to complain with the little experience I had. Pays well above minimum wage.

Seasonal Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Crate & Barrel.

Interview Details – I filled out an application and submitted it in person to the store. I was called for an interview with the store manager. I had to convey why I wanted to work there as opposed to any other retail store for the seasonal holiday time. I had a lot of experience with Crate & Barrel since I was recently married and registered there, so I knew their merchandise intimately which helped in the interview. I have a great interest in decorating, design and very outgoing which store manager liked. Another KEY point is you must be available to work many hours around the holidays, especially day after Christmas. I was offered the job at the end of the interview.

Interview Question – nothing out of the ordinary   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation - take it or leave it. Just above minimum wage. I came back for the next season and got an increase.

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Crate & Barrel.

Interview Details – Easy interview. Very casual. Mostly went over resume and discussed past retail experience.

Seasonal Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Crate & Barrel.

Interview Details – After submitting my resume online, I was called a week later and had a phone interview another week later. During my phone interview I was hired on the spot!

Interview Question – How did you help a customer at your previous job when a manager was not available to help?   Answer Question

Miami, FL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Crate & Barrel in October 2012.

Interview Details – Very easy process... handed in my application in person, got an interview within a few days and an offer shortly after.

Interview Question – The usual interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Crate & Barrel in October 2012.

Interview Details – I went into the store to get a paper application, I talked to one of the mangers on duty. He told me to bring back the application and give it to a manager on duty. I came back the next day with the application filled out and my resume. They called me the next day for a phone interview. They asked me what my idea of customer service was. They also asked me why I wanted to work for crate and barrel. He set up a face to face interview with the store manager the next day.when I met with the store manager he had me pick out something in the store and sell it to me. I was hired on the spot!

Interview Question – I was say be ready to sell something,crate and barrel is very customer focused.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Crate & Barrel in October 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewed for a seasonal sales position at the CB2 store in downtown San Francisco. I interviewed with the store manager and the overall experience was pretty positive. She asked basic questions and was friendly and personable. I felt the interview went fairly well considering I was given a tour of the store and was introduced to other associates in passing. She asked about training at another east bay location the following Sunday, which I agreed I could make it. I left the more than an hour long interview feeling pretty good about everything. What struck me as odd was I never received a call back or a rejection letter. To this day I'm not sure what exactly happened.

Interview Question – Asked how would you sell a random item that was on her desk.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Crate & Barrel in October 2011.

Interview Details – Downloaded & brought application in to store with resume. Received call back for an interview event at the store. Had first then second 1 on 1 interview. Received call at home inviting me to 2 day (paid) training. People are exceptionally nice and friendly.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiations.

Worked for Crate & Barrel? Contribute to the Community!