Creative Artists Agency Interview Questions

Updated Feb 25, 2015
Updated Feb 25, 2015

2.8

Executive Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Creative Artists Agency.

I started by completing a typing and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook) test. Then, I met with the two executives I would be assisting. Each executive interview lasted about 15-20 minutes.

Corporate Communications Opportunities - Entry Level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Creative Artists Agency in November 2014.

Everyone was very polite! I applied to a general resume submission forum but there was an Assistant position available (which I found out about at the end of the interview). I waited in the main lobby for about 10 minutes and was picked up by the recruiter for my informational interview. We sat down in her office and spoke about my resume, why CAA, my goals and how CAA would get me there, and a bit about the company. Finally at the end, she mentioned the position, what it would be, and who I would be assisting for. Caught off guard, the recruiter walked me to a desk to take a grammar and writing skills assessment test. They also give you a sheet of paper with a few bullet points and want you to create a press release.

Once that was finished about an hour and a half later, I spoke with the Corporate Comm. Executive I would be assisting for. Her questions were a lot more difficult than the recruiter's. She asked many scenario-based questions.

In total, the interview took about 3 hours, so be prepared! I'm just playing the waiting game to hear back now - but I HAVE to answer if I got an offer or not so I'm just saying Yes :)

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to answer which publications you read to stay up with industry news.   Answer Question

Assistant Interview

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Creative Artists Agency.

Was called by recruiter 6 months after I submitted a general application (resume + cover letter). Interviewed with head of human resources and the person the assistant position was for.

Entry-Level Opportunities - Music Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Creative Artists Agency.

Was referred by a friend who was recently promoted at CAA. Had sent my resume in already and had the friend forward it again to the HR department. There's an online application that I had to complete, and print out a confirmation of completion and bring that along with my resume to the interview.

Got a call about a week later about scheduling the interview, so I went in with the confirmation and resume and had an interview in person in the office.

Interview went pretty well, they ask you about why you want to be an agent, what you think qualifies you, etc. Do some background research on the company, and have an idea of how you're going to sell yourself - also they're going to ask you about what publications you read currently on the music industry, so know what you're going to say.

After a successful interview they basically put me on the backburner for the last 4 months. Advised me it might take one week, or 6 months...depending on what opens up and when. I'm not getting too excited about my chances at this point.

Interview Questions
    • What publications do you read currently on the music industry?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Creative Artists Agency.

My resume was submitted by a friend on a Monday, HR called Tuesday to set the interview for Wednesday. I interviewed with HR and the agent, and took a MS Office skills test. Thursday, they called my references and offered me the job on Friday. It all went very quickly, and HR was great every step of the way.

Interview Questions
    • HR definitely wanted to make sure you can handle the fast-paced, high intensity environment, and ask several different ways how you deal with pressure.   Answer Question

Mailroom Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Creative Artists Agency in May 2014.

Applied through an alumni connection and received a call almost immediately following. I met with someone in New York who worked with HR. She asked me questions about my resume and a little bit about why I wanted to work at CAA. She then seemed like she was almost trying to scare me about the job, telling me how many people leave because they can't handle the job and aren't suited for this industry. She made the job completely unappealing and then continued the interview. By that time, I was completely disinterested in the job, which made the rest of the interview slightly painful.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary- very typical interview questions!   Answer Question

Mailroom/Reception Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Creative Artists Agency in May 2014.

The process took about a month. I was called by the HR assistant and then set up an interview with the HR person. She was cold and standoffish at first, but it was a ruse (so don't get shaken by that). In the end she was very helpful and seemed to want to see me succeed. I wasn't finished with school so the position was filled by someone else.

Agent Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Creative Artists Agency.

Initial interview with HR, then they decide if they want to put you in the mailroom, as a floater (an internal temp who covers desks for absent assistants short-term), or directly on a desk working for an agent. If there's an open desk and HR likes you, you meet with the agent and if they like you, you're in. I'd say it's 90% about personality fit and attitude.

Interview Questions
    • This might sound obvious, but depending on what department you're interviewing for, have answers prepared that show you have developed taste and opinions. For a Motion Picture Talent desk, have answers to the question, "What's your favorite movie/actor/director/writer/script?" etc.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Creative Artists Agency.

Phone call interview, that was it.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations. They tell you want you will receive beforehand.

Agent Assistant Interview

Network your way into someone in the company. They don't list jobs in the traditional places. If you can get the support of any agent you will be hired. They key is getting on a good agents desk. Vet the agents as much as you can, many of them are nightmares. Try to find a mixture of a decent human being and well respected in the industry (very hard to find).

Interview Questions
    • What do you want to do in the industry? Agents want you to stick around, but want assists "aggressive" enough to make their lives easier.   Answer Question
    No negotiation