Credit Karma

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Product Manager Interview

Senior Product Manager
San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Credit Karma in April 2014.

Interview Details – Recruiter was quick to contact about an interview. Process was fairly quick and they were accommodating to my schedule as I had other offers. Could have been more organized though

Interview Question – Overall the interview was fairly straightforward - case studies, improvements to their site, why Credit Karma etc.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Everyone was super nice and I liked the culture, but I was completely transparent in what I made at my prior employer and they offered me less than what I made before (which was standard market rate). I had a title boost, higher salary, better perks, and bonus/RSUs from other companies. The offer was below market and it felt like I was taking a step down from prior job. Not a good way to attract top talent.

San Francisco, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Credit Karma in May 2014.

Interview Details – I thought it was odd that the recruiter did not provide me with the names of my interviewers. On the day of my interview, I met with the recruiter and was told that I would be in the office for a couple of hours. I had a relatively easy one hour interview with two engineers and then the recruiter came in and told me that the interview was over. I was surprised that they made a hiring decision five minutes after the first round and did not let me complete the interview.

Interview Question – Two string manipulation questions that I had to code on a white board.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Credit Karma in May 2014.

Interview Details – Had an extremely positive experience. Met with 2 engineers, the engineering director and head of HR. All very approachable, informative, and professional. Engineers did some whiteboarding. Then the director came in and talked more org. The HR interview was more about culture and benefits. Some behavioral questions. Gave me a tour, even though they are moving. Wish I got an offer... Seems like a great company.

Interview Question – How did we inspire you to think differently today?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst

I interviewed at Credit Karma in March 2014.

Interview Details – applied online and got contacted by a HR in the company. then did an Excel spreadsheet skill test, passed and was scheduled to speak on the phone. then in office interview. the people there look nice, legit and dedicated, but the recruiting is truly broken and unprofessional. a couple of HR people were involved in the process, and some of them are extremely arrogant, unprofessional, and rude in correspondences and conversations.

Interview Question – vanilla questions, nothing to special.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – the recruiting process reflects poorly on the company's culture and professionalism

IT Audit Manager Interview

IT Audit Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Credit Karma.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a call from the recruiter a few weeks ago. Received an invite for onsite interview via email, but the coordinator could not tell me WHO will be interviewing me other than the hiring manager.

During the onsite interview, I met with Director of Operations, CTO, hiring manager, and HR. The CTO was late so I had to wait about 15 minutes. The Director of Ops asked me a lot of question, although he is not the hiring manager. The hiring manager had to go to another meeting, so the interview was cut short.

Interview Question – After the interview ends, I was told somebody will get me. However, I waited about 20 minutes and no one came. I left the interview room and most desks were empty because it was lunch time. I left without speaking with anyone from HR because they were nowhere to be found.   Answer Question

Communications Interview

Communications
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Credit Karma in April 2014.

Interview Details – Possibly one of the most efficient interview processes I've ever encountered. Began with a recruiter reaching out and a phone conversation and a quickly scheduled in person meeting with the VP of Marketing and 2 additional team members along with the Head of HR. The company made no bones about if they like you, they dont need to drag out the interview process. It seems they subscribe to the theory of one in, one out, rather than a compare and contrast and a competitive bake off between two candidates. The best thing about thier process is that you waste little time and so do they. I'd be curious to know however how often they wish they hadnt immediately eliminated a candidate assuming another quality one is around the corner.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary   Answer Question

Products Leadership Interview

Products Leadership

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Credit Karma.

Interview Details – I was contacted by an HR exec with a so called "short assignment" consisting of 10 questions. After writing my responses that added up to 4-pages of single spaced document and taking ~ 2-hours, no response from the company. You would think that a quick thank you note would be have been appropriate, almost expected..

Waited another 9 days, and send a follow-up email. Finally, I received a standard impersonal email with NO explanation saying this was not a match. This is extremely unprofessional given that the company asked me to spend some time of my own.

AVOID -- if you are a top-performer like myself (Top 3 MBA, funded 2 companies, launched 5+ large products)

Interview Question – Simple PM, basic strategy assignment   Answer Question

Interviewed at Credit Karma

Interview Details – Their interview process was very straight forward, efficient and responsive. On-site interview was very welcoming atmosphere and everyone was super friendly. They made me feel comfortable despite being nervous. Recruiting team was very thorough with what I should expect. I got a tour of the office and met some team members.

Interview Question – Conversation about my previous experience and asked some interesting, yet practical technical questions. I actually really enjoyed the conversation w/my interviewers.   View Answer

Director of Analytics Interview

Director of Analytics
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Credit Karma in February 2014.

Interview Details – I got a phone call from the recruiter and then I had a phone call with the hiring manager. Finally I had an in person interview with the Hiring Manager, Director of HR and the CEO. The culture looks cool as and the environment and everyone looks nice and friendly. However they look disorganised and not thinking strategically.

Interview Question – I found that there was no clarity on what is the role and responsibilities, the interview was focused solely on modelling, and what type of advanced models we can implement to the business for marketing purposes. This was an interview more aligned to a senior modeller / data scientist than a director of analytics.   View Answer

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Credit Karma in February 2014.

Interview Details – Started with phone call, they invited me at their onsite location for technical interview(s). After introductory meeting with HR, there were 2 rounds of interviews. 2 to 1 and 1-1.

Interview questions were basic CS questions, basic design patterns, and past work experience. Explanations on white board

Received offer letter after 2 days.

Interview Question – Basic CS questions, OOPS concepts, basic design patterns, and past work experience.   View Answers (3)

Negotiation Details – Was able to negotiate a little

Worked for Credit Karma? Contribute to the Community!