Credit Suisse IT Summer Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Mar 4, 2015
Updated Mar 4, 2015

2.9

IT Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Credit Suisse.

Applied through university career site. Had an on-campus interview that was mostly behavioral questions.
Got invited to a super day at their office, where there were 3 interviews. These were also largely behavioral with a few questions about specifics on the projects listed on my resume.
Got a call two weeks later with the offer.

Other Interview Reviews for Credit Suisse

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Credit Suisse in February 2015.

First round was at my university followed by a superday in the New York City office. All interviews were mostly behavioral with some general technical questions about data structures, object oriented programming, and polymorphism. I was also asked to go through my resume and about what type of projects I was interested in. I heard back a little over two weeks after the superday that I had an offer.

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Credit Suisse in November 2014.

Applied online at the suggestion of a friend. I was emailed a month and a half later to ask if I was still interested in the IT internship, to which I responded yes. Phone call (not interview) a few days later with the recruiter, where I got more information about the company and internship, and we also set up a 30 minute behavioral phone interview the next day with an interviewer.

Overzealous interviewer, the 30 minute interview ended up running 1 hour, 15 minutes. Wasn't just behavioral either, I got asked questions about Java and Infrastructure stuff as well. Behavioral questions such as:
    -Tell me about a situation where ethics were concerned. What happened, and how did you handle it
    -Why do you want to work at Credit Suisse
    -Why IT (what led you to look for an IT internship)
    -Tell me a bit about yourself
    And then there was a problem solving question:
    -As a Public Transportation employee, how do you figure out how much salt to put down on the roads before a big snowstorm
    And then we started into technical questions:
    -What are some features of a good password?
    -In Java, what is the difference between .equals() and ==
    -What are some object oriented features in Java
    -Describe some things to consider when designing a High Availability system
    -Describe some important Disaster Recovery practices

All in all, I was told this was a 30 minute behavioral interview and then this happened. I was very surprised, and I hadn't been prepared to answer the Java or HA or DR questions so I thought I failed.

I was then emailed the next week and was invited to come to the company's Super Day on-site in Raleigh. I accepted, and flew out the following week. The Super Day was only 2.5 hours and consisted of the following:
    -Informal, relaxed breakfast with Vice Presidents and Directors of IT
    -2 30 minute behavioral/resume interviews with different interviewers - We went over my resume, I talked about projects that I worked on and the course work I had done so far. There were questions asking me about situations and how I handled them regarding leadership and how I convinced others to do things my way, conflicts on my team, ethical issues that arose, how I managed a time I screwed up, etc
    -1 30 minute Technical Assessment (TA) interview - I had thought that this was going to be a whiteboard interview but it ended up being an interview where I was given a situation and told to describe various things to consider when doing certain things. If you are in charge of managing a project that is upgrading a large number of computers to new software/hardware, talk about what you would consider when: giving a presentation to a board of your superiors, how you would tell the customer what's changing, how you would reduce cost if forced to, how (post-production) you would fix bugs (analysis, prioritization, etc), and other sorts of situational questions.

We then got a short tour of the building with some previous intern-now-employees, and then were sent on our way.
    All in all, the Super Day was a really amazing, fun, and pleasant experience.
    Responses/offers were given within a week of the Super Day.

Edit: I ended up being called by a gentleman in the IT Level 2 Support office for a brief 15 minute informal chat. I was called by another person the next week saying that I had been rejected.

Interview Questions
    • I was really unprepared for the technical questions in my behavioral phone interview, as I was specifically told that it was going to be behavioral.   Answer Question

IT Summer Analyst Interview

2 rounds, a campus interview followed by super day. Most of the questions are behavioral ones and they seem to figure out whether you are suited to work there in the whole process.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Credit Suisse in February 2014.

I applied online, both through my university and through the Credit Suisse online application. I was pre-selected for an on-campus interview, which was 1:1 and behavioral. After a week I was invited to second round interviews on-site at the Credit Suisse offices in New York. The second round consisted of 3 half-hour long interviews, two of which were behavioral and third was a job-fit interview. The overall experience was pleasant and all of the employees I spoke with were very friendly and inviting.

The night before the on-site interviews, there was a Welcome Dinner which included a tour of the offices and the opportunity to ask questions to current senior-employees as well as recent full-time hires. The morning of the interviews (mine were morning interviews) we were given a small continental breakfast before the interviews.

The behavioral were the typical, "Tell me about a time you worked on a team and there was a difference of opinion on how to approach the project. How did you handle it?" The job-fit interview focused on assessing how much I actually knew about the technical projects and class subjects listed on my resume. For example, a project on my resume mentioned the use of multi-threading so I was asked how I handled thread safety.

Interview Questions
    • What software development methodology do you employ?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Credit Suisse in February 2014.

They came to my school and I had an initial interview on campus. Thought it went horrible but then I was invited for the second round and the Job Family expo at the company. Didn't make it to that event because I had a conference to go to and I left that night. Final round of interviews consisted of 4 30 minute interviews(Including a technical interview) at the company. We had lunch with the managers and current employees then we broke into the interviews. I thought the behavioral interviews went well. I was not prepared for the technical interview and the HR contact basically told us we couldn't prepare for it. The technical interview was the worst interview I've ever had. It was my first one and I thought the questions that were ask were not something a college student looking for an intern position with no experience at Credit Suisse could answer. I didn't get the job and found out about 2 hours after my last interview.

Interview Questions
    • Everything that was asked during the technical interview.   Answer Question

IT Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Credit Suisse in January 2014.

Found out about the position through my university's career services center. I submitted my application online and heard back a few days later that I would have an interview the next week. The interview was one-on-one and was primarily behavioral questions with a few technical questions thrown in. There were also quite a few other students from my school interviewing at the same time.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time in which you faced an ethical dilemma and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Credit Suisse.

I applied through my school's job board, and was granted an on-campus interview. It was a completely behavioral interview, and no technical questions were asked. After a few weeks, I was given an on-site interview in the New York office. Here, I was interviewed by three vice-presidents, and these interviews were also non-technical. Then I given the opportunity to network with full-time employees who were recently hired out of the internship program. Finally, the day concluded with a tour of the building.

Interview Questions

Applied to other companies whose locations appealed to my living style more.

Summer IT Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Credit Suisse.

The interview was behavioral.

The job was too far away from home.

IT Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Credit Suisse in January 2013.

The interview was through my school's career center and my interviewer was an alumni. Previous to the interview, students were invited to a nice fancy dinner where we talked casually.

The interview was purely behavioral - nothing technical. It was very typical - why do you want to go into finance, do you take charge when you work in groups, what's your favorite/ least favorite class. etc.

It lasted about half and hour or so.