Credit Suisse Investment Banking Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Aug 13, 2015

3.2

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Credit Suisse.

Interview

Straightforward, Friendly. Given that I already had another pending offer from the same division at a rival bank, they kept the interview straight-forward. Was geared towards making me meet as many people as possible. No technical questions, but if you already have experience there is no point anyways.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Credit Suisse

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Credit Suisse (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied to the Singapore office. 3 phone interviews with analysts and associates in Singapore, followed by a super day in NYC. The super day consisted for 4-5 30 min interviews with Managing Directors. The entire process only took a week. Questions ranged from typical behavioral questions, to more complicated and advanced technical concepts.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

Contacted to go up to NYC to the office. First we had this lunch and networking, and then there was a series of interviews. I had three interviews overall, each took about 30 minutes. Mostly behavioral/fit questions. Interviewers were nice and I think they did a good job of providing a welcoming and not-too-intense atmosphere so that you felt comfortable before going in to the interview.

Interview Questions

• You are six months into your summer internship and I call you into my office, why am I letting you go?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Credit Suisse (Providence, RI) in December 2014.

Interview

I interviewed with three bankers from Credit Suisse - Hong Kong office. Female interviewers tend to ask more behavioral questions, while male interviewers tend to ask technical questions, which usually involve financial accounting, company evaluations, etc.

Interview Questions

• Typical question: walk me through three financial statements.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Credit Suisse.

Interview

One round on campus and one final round in person. Final round was 3 interviews - 2 two on ones and 1 one on one. Typical investment banking questions with a lot of fit questions. Be prepared to answer why a certain region, group or product.

Interview Questions

• If a company acquires another company with a lower P/E ratio, is the deal accretive or dilutive?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Standard package, no negotiation.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Interview

All fit, no technical in both 1st round and superday. There was a case interview as one of the superday interviews though.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Credit Suisse (New York, NY) in February 2013.

Interview

Applied through school's career services system (I'm at a target) 1st round - 30 min on-campus. Mostly fit, a few basic multiplication questions Superday - four 30 minute interviews. Usually there were 2 people interviewing me at a time. Basic questions about valuation, accounting, why I wanted to be their slave, arithmetic, stuff that any future monkey should now. I was too unspecific in my answers and asked some really dumb questions (e.g. how's the weather there?). Don't be dumb.

Interview Questions

• How do you calculate free cash flow?   1 Answer

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I interviewed at Credit Suisse in September 2011.

Interview

The interview was pretty similar to other i-banking ones I have had. It was a mix of behavioral and technical questions, but nothing that was really too challenging. The first round was on campus and was a one-on-one, and the final round was at the company's office and included 4 one-on-ones.

Interview Questions

• One of the interviewers gave me a bit of a hard time because I didn't get an offer from the firm I did my summer internship with, even though the firm only gave one offer among the 5 summer interns they had.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Credit Suisse (San Francisco, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

First phone call with a senior analyst and then a coffee meet-up with another senior analyst to chat and see if you're a good fit for the group. Then invited a superday, where you meet with five senior bankers. Most of them ask you why banking and want to talk about your background. Then some accounting and finance questions, basics of a leveraged buyout, how does depreciation affect the financial statements, how do you calculate free cash flow, walk me through a DCF

Interview Questions

• What characteristics in a company do you look for for a good LBO candidate?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation for investment banking analysts at bulge bracket firms

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Credit Suisse (New York, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

For non-target school candidates: 2 rounds - 1st round w/ alumnus and 2nd round superday (3-4 interviews in one day). Happend in Oct - Jan of junior year timeframe. Interviewing process is pretty standard. 1st round was a mix of behavior and technical questions incl. DCF valuation. 2nd round was more behavior and very much focused on previous experience, i.e. what is on the resume. The harder part is actually getting the interview itself. Would highly recommend college students whom are interested in entering the field of finance/accounting, and investment banking in particular, to NETWORK a tons. When you speak to people, be interested but not pushy/demanding ("can you get me an interview?") - that's a big turn-off to professionals who are trying to be helpful but not always in the position to recommend.

Interview Questions

• What would your client companies tend to do if interest rate rose, specifically re their M&A activities?   Answer Question