Cree Interview Questions

Updated Feb 24, 2015

3.4

Phd Scientist Interview

Interview

This place is a pressure cooker. At some points in the interview I wondered if there was a hidden camera because it was just ludicrous. Even during my interview the interviewers phone and pager were ringing off the hook. So if this all sounds attractive to you, you might want to interview there. One of the interviewers told me it's hard working here but you know it's a good place to come from . . .

Interview Questions

• The Feynman question. But mostly they just wanted to know whether I could vent and reassemble a vacuum chamber.   Answer Question

Process Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Cree (Durham, NC) in June 2014.

Interview

I originally applied to be an engineer, but my GPA did not meet the requirements. Then the recruiter recommended that I try to get a process technician position. After being bounced around for a few weeks, I recently had a 20-minute phone interview. The guy I talked to explained the position to me, and then we talked about my qualifications for the position. I have been invited back for a follow-up interview via Skype with 3 one-on-one interview sessions that will be 30 minutes each. One of them will be with the same guy from the phone call. So far everything has been okay.

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cree.

Interview

Initial screen by HR was very focused on cultural fit. Choose one word to describe yourself and why. Also they seem to put a premium on risk taking. Questions about are you a risk taker and how can you prove it. Very informal setting for the discussion. Unusual process for me.

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cree (Durham, NC).

Interview

Involved two interviews. Both interviews involved a panel session answering questions from several engineers and one on one interviews. Most questions were about power semiconductor devices. Went out to lunch both times.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were expected about semiconductor technology.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate. I found out later that I should have.

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Cree.

Interview

Was recruited on campus, had two mildly technical interviews, then was flown out to their facility in North Carolina. The interview was not too bad, except it was all day, starting around 8 and finishing at 6 with little to no breaks. Don't be afraid to say no, they will keep drilling until you cannot explain something.

Interview Questions

• They were very through in questioning regarding specific for the position, know your stuff.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Cree.

Interview

Initially contacted by a staff member in HR. Was told I had 3 days to complete a 25 question pre-screening questionnaire. Returned it on the 3rd day and within the hour of sending it I was contacted by a research manager. We set up a phone interview where he asked questions about my background and what other companies I had heard from. Told me that I should hear within a week if I had made it to the second round. Still waiting.

Interview Questions

• Why did you leave graduate school?   1 Answer

Interview

First phone interview and then onsite interview. They asked very demanding technical questions that I was not well prepared for.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cree.

Interview

First, a questionaire about behavior questions, then a phone interview set by HR, then is a technical interview for about 35 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Small company or big company, which one do you prefer? So do you think Cree is a small company?   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cree.

Interview

First they started with behavior questions;
    - Tell about yourself
    - Why do you think you are a fit candidate to us
    Then they started to ask technical questions related to my resume.

Research Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cree in March 2014.

Interview

Contacted by HR who recommended me to hiring manager. Then, was contacted by the him and he a series of questions from my resume and two questions below. After 4 weeks, we setup a skype interview presentation, which I gave on my research.

Interview Questions

• Describe in 1 minute or less how MOCVD works   1 Answer
    • If there is a piece of ice in a glass water, in 30 seconds or less describe what happens to the level of water when the ice melts?   1 Answer