Cree Interview Questions

Updated Feb 24, 2015
Updated Feb 24, 2015

3.4

Product Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cree.

I applied through my school career website and received an email from the HR two days later. I had three days to answer a series of essay questions. A week later, I had a first phone interview with the division manager of the department I was applying to. After two weeks, I had another interview with another manager who told me that the minimum hours required for a full time employee was 52 hours, so I declined the job.

Interview Questions

52 hours plus overtime expected from an entry level engineer.

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cree.

Applied through university career website. Got contacted by HR in 2 days and answered written questionnaire which are typical behavioral questions. Phone interview with a hiring manager in about week. Questions are half behavioral, half technical.

Interview Questions
    • Given a metal spherical ball. How to tell what metal the ball is made of using normal things in your home.   Answer Question

Not Worth the Effort Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cree.

Very quick in response. Asked in depth questions that had no relation to my abilities to perform the job I applied for. After submitting a questionnaire, I had a phone interview just two days later.

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cree.

Applied through campus career services's website.
    Received and responded to an email with 4 basic questions.
    Received and completed a screening questionnaire of 25 questions.
    Then informed about three weeks later that I was not selected to move forward.

Interview Questions
    • What is it ok to say, "I don't know"? When is it not ok?   Answer Question

Process Development Engineer Interview

Met with Cree at a career fair. Representatives present were not familiar with technology side of the business. Short interview over the phone with no follow up.

Process Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cree.

HR had me fill out a questionnaire the day after I applied. I had an initial phone interview with the hiring manager a week later. He asked a few basic questions about how LEDs work and about my previous experience. Next I had a 30 minute skype presentation on a technical project. A week later I flew out for an on-site interview. I didn't find anyone to be rude or disrespectful, but everyone asked very detailed and sometimes absurdly difficult questions. The questions never stop either. They took me out to lunch and dinner and they continuously asked technical questions while we were eating. They seem to care more about how you approach and answer the questions than if you know the correct answer. Their offer arrived the day after I interviewed.

Interview Questions
    • You're in the middle of nowhere and your car dies with the keys in the ignition. What do you do?   Answer Question
    Your offer will be based on the salary range you put in your questionnaire.

Product Engineering Interview

Apply online and receive the phone interview after one week. He talked about the position then ask some common questions such as
    - Why are you interested in Cree?
    - What are the applications of MOSFET?

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cree in October 2013.

Interview process:
    1) 45 min phone interview with manager 1.
    2) 30 min phone interview with manager 2.
    3) Invited for onsite interview. This includes a 30min presentation about your experiences and projects you worked on as well as a series of 1:1 interviews (apparently).

I decided to withdraw my application before the onsite interview. As you can see from other people's posts, the interviewers constantly stress that this is an "aggressive environment" with "a lot of pressure". You will be expected to work "55 - 65 hour weeks", most people work "11 hours per day". You can either take Friday-Saturday or Sunday-Monday off, not the regular weekend.

I'm glad they were fully honest from the start. I understand that the technology industry operates at a very fast pace, but I don't understand how a company can expect full productivity out of employees with those work hours. I cannot imagine they retain most of their staff for long.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about working 55-65 hour weeks?   View Answer

Semiconductor Manufacturing Technician III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cree.

People ask stupid questions unrelated to what they do, people really have no clue on how to phrase questions when asking them. They need to have people that speak English asking questions

Interview Questions
    • Kept asking questions about vacuum, lowest vacuum worked with.   View Answer
    I told them it was my 4th interview and ask if they were going to hire me or just keep interviewing me.

Research Scientist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cree in October 2013.

Interview was scheduled for 45 minutes and it started with a brief description about Cree and then lots of behavioral questions and how LED works? Why can't we make LED's with Germanium? This was followed by some fermi questions like, There are two light bulbs in one room and one is on all the time and the other one is on only when you open the door. How can you say which bulb is on all the time? Assume that you cut on a switch and the bulb is not on, How would you troubleshoot?

Interview Questions
    • If i give you a sphere and assume that you don't have any equipment like EDS to characterize the sphere, How can you determine what material it's made of?   View Answer