Cree

Average Difficulty
35 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Process Development Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Cree.

Interview Details – Initially contacted by a staff member in HR. Was told I had 3 days to complete a 25 question pre-screening questionnaire. Returned it on the 3rd day and within the hour of sending it I was contacted by a research manager. We set up a phone interview where he asked questions about my background and what other companies I had heard from. Told me that I should hear within a week if I had made it to the second round. Still waiting.

Interview Question – Why did you leave graduate school?   View Answer

Interviewed at Cree

Interview Details – First phone interview and then onsite interview. They asked very demanding technical questions that I was not well prepared for.

Interview Question – Explaining very basic technical questions.   Answer Question

Process Development Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cree.

Interview Details – First, a questionaire about behavior questions, then a phone interview set by HR, then is a technical interview for about 35 minutes.

Interview Question – Small company or big company, which one do you prefer? So do you think Cree is a small company?   Answer Question

Process Development Engineer

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cree in February 2014.

Interview Details – screening questionnaire followed by technical interview. recruiter asked some logic based questions and some basic questions on semiconductors.
1. What will happen to the level of water when an ice cube melts
2. Questions based on your resume
3. Have you received offers from other companies
4. Questions on etching and semiconductors

Interview Question – What will happen to the level of water if ice melts   Answer Question

Raleigh, NC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Cree in July 2013.

Interview Details – First step was extensive questionnaire that takes place of HR phone screen but is much more intensive. Second was phone interview with supervisor engineer, followed by Skype presentation interview one week later. Skype presentation was disappointing because it seemed rushed. Really the point of it was to have them review the ppt and provide revision suggestions for the in person interview. Finally an in person interview was scheduled. HR was flexible and accommodating to fly me down within the week.
As far as interview process goes, it is a full day with a revolving door of different engineers and managers. An important quality to convey is communication skills. One positive aspect is that they do not expect prior process knowledge, but rather admit that you will learn everything you need on the job. One negative aspect is there is a bit of arrogance amongst managers. My primary contact informed me before the last person scheduled that they would pass on an offer and gave me a review of my interview performance. I was a bit taken aback by that but I guess it was informative, but a little embarrassing.
Overall despite being denied an offer, I regard the interview process as a positive experience. They demand more than other companies but it is useful to see yourself perform in different arenas.

Interview Question – The estimation/thought process questions get tiresome after a while (e.g. how many tennis balls could you fit in this room, but worse than that).   Answer Question

Interviewed at Cree

Interview Details – Met with Cree at a career fair. Representatives present were not familiar with technology side of the business. Short interview over the phone with no follow up.

Interview Question – Description of technological processes.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Durham, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cree.

Interview Details – HR had me fill out a questionnaire the day after I applied. I had an initial phone interview with the hiring manager a week later. He asked a few basic questions about how LEDs work and about my previous experience. Next I had a 30 minute skype presentation on a technical project. A week later I flew out for an on-site interview. I didn't find anyone to be rude or disrespectful, but everyone asked very detailed and sometimes absurdly difficult questions. The questions never stop either. They took me out to lunch and dinner and they continuously asked technical questions while we were eating. They seem to care more about how you approach and answer the questions than if you know the correct answer. Their offer arrived the day after I interviewed.

Interview Question – You're in the middle of nowhere and your car dies with the keys in the ignition. What do you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Your offer will be based on the salary range you put in your questionnaire.

Process Development Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Cree.

Interview Details – The interview process was long and hard, but it really helps in understanding the company and its employees.

Interview Question – how many barbers will it take for a town of 1 million people   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The terms were acceptable, no need for negotiations

Very Difficult Interview

Process Development Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cree.

Interview Details – I had an informal phone discussion with who was later my hiring manager. Next I was told to write a 30 minute in depth presentation about a project that I had worked on in school (I was a new graduate). Next I gave Skype presentation of my project. I was then flown in for an in person interview where I was asked heavily detailed questions about my project as well as the machines that I used.

Interview Question – Highly detailed questions about how an SEM works and about why I made my decisions over the course of my project.   Answer Question

Goleta, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cree in May 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online. Contacted by the hiring manager one week later for a phone interview. Two weeks later was invited to an onsite interview. 1 presentation about my PhD research, followed by 4 rounds of interviews, each lasted for about 30 mins. Overall good interview experience. No offer was extended.

Interview Question – Which direction is North? How do you determine?   Answer Question

Worked for Cree? Contribute to the Community!