Cree

Updated Nov 17, 2014

3.5

25 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Process Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Cree in November 2014.

Applied online and was sent a rather long screening questionnaire. Following the questionnaire I was given a brief phone interview where I was asked a few basic technical questions (some regarding LEDs), questions about my educational background and a few questions about why I want to work at Cree. Following the phone interview I was given the opportunity to give a 30 minute presentation over Skype to a team of engineers and hiring managers regarding my background and a project that I had done in the past.

Interview Questions
  • They asked questions about how LEDs function on an atomic level during the first phone interview.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Cree

Process Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Cree.

I was very disappointed with this company's interview process. It was very long and demanding, and in my case unsuccessful with no explanation as to what went wrong. I will not consider Cree again.

First, I had to answer many questions in a questionnaire, with a fairly unreasonable 3 day deadline, which in my case happened during the work week. One of the questions asked how much I made currently and how much I would like to make. Then I was dragged through 2 months of an interview process. First, a fairly technical phone interview, followed by a Skype interview several weeks later. For the Skype interview I was asked to make a 30 minute presentation on a topic of my choosing, and was told by the HR representative that there would be up to 30 minutes of questions afterwards. There were no questions at the end, which threw me off, and I got the distinct impression that they could care less what I was presenting and that they wanted to move on with the rest of their day. Later, I inquired about how I did in an email, and was told it went fine, and that I needed to make a few small adjustments for I would be presenting the same presentation on-site to a group of people. This presentation requirement might be easier for someone fresh out of school, especially if giving a presentation on a PhD thesis. But for everyone else...there's usually a confidentiality agreement that prevents one from making a technical 30 minute presentation on proprietary technology, even if it's unrelated to Cree's core business.

I was supposedly recommended for an on-site interview. This however, never happened, as a month went by and then I was contacted by the hiring manager for yet another phone interview. The manager asked me no technical questions, just things that I had already answered in the questionnaire. Fairly brief interview. Two weeks later I was rejected with a generic email.

Interview Questions
    • Topics discussed: LED technical questions, one in-depth statistical question, my resume, why I'm leaving current employer   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cree in July 2014.

Questionnaire with 25 questions to get to know you and your background. Then phone interview, then day long skype interview where you present something you have done and have 8 people grill you about it. Then an on site interview. Did not make it to the on site.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cree in July 2014.

Was contacted by HR the day after I submitted my application to answer a few prelim questions (date available, GPA, etc.). Next, I was given a 25 q questionnaire asking a bunch of generic questions about my skills and experience. a couple days after sending that back, I was contacted to do a phone interview with the Hiring Manager. We chatted very briefly and he asked me to do a Skype call with him and some others, where I gave a technical presentation (just presented part of my thesis). After the 25 min presentation, the manager said he had questions, but that he'd save them for my on-site interview. They flew me down the next week and put me through the same interview process others on here are saying. I started at 9:30 AM and gave my presentation again, followed by 1 on 1 interviews all day until 5 PM. It was not bad at all. Everyone was very kind and friendly. The lunch was relaxing and they treat you to a nice meal at a nice restaurant. They implied that I would likely be working more than 40 hour weeks, but nothing crazy like 65-70 hours as others here have commented. This position was in the Materials Business Group, which is separate from the group expecting you to work your life away there.

Interview Questions
    • One of the interviewers took a bag of screws out of his pocket and asked me some questions about certain ones like, "what kind of material can this be used for, put these in order according to cost, etc."   View Answer

Was offered a different position elsewhere that I was more interested in.

Process Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cree.

First they started with behavior questions;
    - Tell about yourself
    - Why do you think you are a fit candidate to us
    Then they started to ask technical questions related to my resume.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Cree.

Endless questions. 1. why silicon doesnt emit light. 2. why there is band gap. 3. feature of semiconductor. 4. what is LEDs. 5. what is fermi level

Interview Questions
    • will it make water level increase or decrease when floating Ice cube dissolved.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cree.

I applied through the company website. I was given 4 preliminary questions via email, followed by a questionnaire of 25 questions, mostly behavioral. Following this, I was asked to set up a phone screen interview with one of their senior engineers. This didn't go as well for me as I expected, and a week later I was told that they had moved forward with other candidates. I felt that their questions were somewhat unnecessary and not related to the position I was applying for. It makes sense to ask brain teasers for a face-to-face interview, but the phone screen should be to gauge if I had the technical skills I claimed.

Overall, though, the interviewer was not very rude, but a little arrogant.

Interview Questions
    • If an ice cube melts in water, does the water level rise or fall? Explain with details.   View Answers (3)
    • If you're stuck in the middle of nowhere with a broken down car, how can you determine what the problem is?   View Answers (3)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cree.

Applied through campus career services's website.
    Received and responded to an email with 4 basic questions.
    Received and completed a screening questionnaire of 25 questions.
    Then informed about three weeks later that I was not selected to move forward.

Interview Questions
    • What is it ok to say, "I don't know"? When is it not ok?   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cree.

Applied online through campus recruiting website by submitting resume. Was sent and filled out a 25 questionnaire. They emailed me asking to set up a phone interview for the next day. They were about 15 minutes late in calling, said the process would take half an hour but was closer to an hour Talked about my resume but asked a lot of why questions. Continually asking to explain your explanation. You have to really know the technical details to what you're talking about.

Interview Questions
    • Why aren't LEDs made of silicon? Why doesn't silicon emit a photon?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cree in September 2013.

Applied through career center at college and I was contacted by email to set up a behavioral phone interview with a hiring manager. It was only a half hour interview, but the interviewer spent at least 10 minutes talking about Cree and the city where the job was located. He then asked me about prior work experience, but kept asking somewhat unimportant questions. This wasted a lot of time and I was only asked 1 behavioral question which I couldn't even answer completely because we ran out of time. Was a somewhat unpleasant interview experience. I got a generic rejection from HR about a week later.

Interview Questions
    • None. I was mainly asked to describe previous work and extracurricular experience and how they could be applied to working at Cree. The only behavior question I was asked was, "Tell me about a time you had to complete a difficult project in a short period of time, how did you handle it and what were the results"   Answer Question