Cree Process Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 8, 2014

3.5

23 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Process Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cree in July 2014.

Questionnaire with 25 questions to get to know you and your background. Then phone interview, then day long skype interview where you present something you have done and have 8 people grill you about it. Then an on site interview. Did not make it to the on site.

Other Interview Reviews for Cree

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cree in July 2014.

Was contacted by HR the day after I submitted my application to answer a few prelim questions (date available, GPA, etc.). Next, I was given a 25 q questionnaire asking a bunch of generic questions about my skills and experience. a couple days after sending that back, I was contacted to do a phone interview with the Hiring Manager. We chatted very briefly and he asked me to do a Skype call with him and some others, where I gave a technical presentation (just presented part of my thesis). After the 25 min presentation, the manager said he had questions, but that he'd save them for my on-site interview. They flew me down the next week and put me through the same interview process others on here are saying. I started at 9:30 AM and gave my presentation again, followed by 1 on 1 interviews all day until 5 PM. It was not bad at all. Everyone was very kind and friendly. The lunch was relaxing and they treat you to a nice meal at a nice restaurant. They implied that I would likely be working more than 40 hour weeks, but nothing crazy like 65-70 hours as others here have commented. This position was in the Materials Business Group, which is separate from the group expecting you to work your life away there.

Interview Questions
    • One of the interviewers took a bag of screws out of his pocket and asked me some questions about certain ones like, "what kind of material can this be used for, put these in order according to cost, etc."   View Answer

Was offered a different position elsewhere that I was more interested in.

Process Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cree.

First they started with behavior questions;
    - Tell about yourself
    - Why do you think you are a fit candidate to us
    Then they started to ask technical questions related to my resume.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Cree.

Endless questions. 1. why silicon doesnt emit light. 2. why there is band gap. 3. feature of semiconductor. 4. what is LEDs. 5. what is fermi level

Interview Questions
    • will it make water level increase or decrease when floating Ice cube dissolved.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cree.

I applied through the company website. I was given 4 preliminary questions via email, followed by a questionnaire of 25 questions, mostly behavioral. Following this, I was asked to set up a phone screen interview with one of their senior engineers. This didn't go as well for me as I expected, and a week later I was told that they had moved forward with other candidates. I felt that their questions were somewhat unnecessary and not related to the position I was applying for. It makes sense to ask brain teasers for a face-to-face interview, but the phone screen should be to gauge if I had the technical skills I claimed.

Overall, though, the interviewer was not very rude, but a little arrogant.

Interview Questions
    • If an ice cube melts in water, does the water level rise or fall? Explain with details.   View Answers (3)
    • If you're stuck in the middle of nowhere with a broken down car, how can you determine what the problem is?   View Answers (3)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cree.

Applied through campus career services's website.
    Received and responded to an email with 4 basic questions.
    Received and completed a screening questionnaire of 25 questions.
    Then informed about three weeks later that I was not selected to move forward.

Interview Questions
    • What is it ok to say, "I don't know"? When is it not ok?   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cree.

Applied online through campus recruiting website by submitting resume. Was sent and filled out a 25 questionnaire. They emailed me asking to set up a phone interview for the next day. They were about 15 minutes late in calling, said the process would take half an hour but was closer to an hour Talked about my resume but asked a lot of why questions. Continually asking to explain your explanation. You have to really know the technical details to what you're talking about.

Interview Questions
    • Why aren't LEDs made of silicon? Why doesn't silicon emit a photon?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cree in September 2013.

Applied through career center at college and I was contacted by email to set up a behavioral phone interview with a hiring manager. It was only a half hour interview, but the interviewer spent at least 10 minutes talking about Cree and the city where the job was located. He then asked me about prior work experience, but kept asking somewhat unimportant questions. This wasted a lot of time and I was only asked 1 behavioral question which I couldn't even answer completely because we ran out of time. Was a somewhat unpleasant interview experience. I got a generic rejection from HR about a week later.

Interview Questions
    • None. I was mainly asked to describe previous work and extracurricular experience and how they could be applied to working at Cree. The only behavior question I was asked was, "Tell me about a time you had to complete a difficult project in a short period of time, how did you handle it and what were the results"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cree.

I was originally approached by Greene Resources, a temp agency, for an Equipment Technician in 2009. I had a single phone interview with who would become my direct supervisor and then moved to a half day interview on site which ended with a nice lunch with the entire group I would end up working for. The interview was fairly informal and easy going with a lot of technical talk to gauge my current knowledge, I was fresh out of college with a BS in Mechanical Engineering. I had a short meeting my supervisor and HR to discuss my permanent hiring to Cree, this was mainly paperwork and salary negotiation/agreement.

When I was promoted to Process Engineer internally I had a single initial interview while I was on the clock with who would be my direct manager to gauge my current knowledge of the process I would be taking over. I then moved on to a full day interview where I met with 6 members of the engineer and management team individually. I was treated to a very nice lunch.

We have since moved to a policy where every engineering candidate must prepare a 30 minute presentation for an audience of engineers and managers.

Interview Questions
    • I really was not surprised by any questions during the interview. There were specific technical questions that I did not know the answer to but I was able to give a best effort and it was received well.   View Answer
    Very little negotiation for entry level. When I was hired from technician to engineer I was forced to take my exact hourly pay at 40 hours/week as my salary, this was a pay cut based only my required hours of 42 hours/week (2 being overtime). I was greatly compensated after a year in the engineering position and placed at a competitive entry level engineering salary.

Process Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Cree in January 2013.

I don't remember exactly when I applied because I applied multiple places at that time. First, HR person emailed me that I would have a phone interview with a hiring manager for 30~45min. But it took only 25 min. Initially, the time for the interview was fixed but it was delayed multiple times. The questions were moderate. Most of them were behavior questions.