Cree

Average Difficulty
21 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Process Engineer

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Cree in January 2013.

Interview Details – I don't remember exactly when I applied because I applied multiple places at that time. First, HR person emailed me that I would have a phone interview with a hiring manager for 30~45min. But it took only 25 min. Initially, the time for the interview was fixed but it was delayed multiple times. The questions were moderate. Most of them were behavior questions.

Interview Question – -How can you deal with stress?   Answer Question

Process Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Cree.

Interview Details – First they started with behavior questions;
- Tell about yourself
- Why do you think you are a fit candidate to us
Then they started to ask technical questions related to my resume.

Interview Question – Tell me about a situation that you had difficaulty   Answer Question

Raleigh, NC

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Cree.

Interview Details – Endless questions. 1. why silicon doesnt emit light. 2. why there is band gap. 3. feature of semiconductor. 4. what is LEDs. 5. what is fermi level

Interview Question – will it make water level increase or decrease when floating Ice cube dissolved.   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Durham, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cree.

Interview Details – I applied through the company website. I was given 4 preliminary questions via email, followed by a questionnaire of 25 questions, mostly behavioral. Following this, I was asked to set up a phone screen interview with one of their senior engineers. This didn't go as well for me as I expected, and a week later I was told that they had moved forward with other candidates. I felt that their questions were somewhat unnecessary and not related to the position I was applying for. It makes sense to ask brain teasers for a face-to-face interview, but the phone screen should be to gauge if I had the technical skills I claimed.

Overall, though, the interviewer was not very rude, but a little arrogant.

Interview Questions

• If an ice cube melts in water, does the water level rise or fall? Explain with details.   View Answers (3)
  • If you're stuck in the middle of nowhere with a broken down car, how can you determine what the problem is?   View Answers (3)

Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cree.

Interview Details – Applied through campus career services's website.
Received and responded to an email with 4 basic questions.
Received and completed a screening questionnaire of 25 questions.
Then informed about three weeks later that I was not selected to move forward.

Interview Question – What is it ok to say, "I don't know"? When is it not ok?   Answer Question

Raleigh, NC

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cree in September 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through career center at college and I was contacted by email to set up a behavioral phone interview with a hiring manager. It was only a half hour interview, but the interviewer spent at least 10 minutes talking about Cree and the city where the job was located. He then asked me about prior work experience, but kept asking somewhat unimportant questions. This wasted a lot of time and I was only asked 1 behavioral question which I couldn't even answer completely because we ran out of time. Was a somewhat unpleasant interview experience. I got a generic rejection from HR about a week later.

Interview Question – None. I was mainly asked to describe previous work and extracurricular experience and how they could be applied to working at Cree. The only behavior question I was asked was, "Tell me about a time you had to complete a difficult project in a short period of time, how did you handle it and what were the results"   Answer Question

Process Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Cree.

Interview Details – Applied online through campus recruiting website by submitting resume. Was sent and filled out a 25 questionnaire. They emailed me asking to set up a phone interview for the next day. They were about 15 minutes late in calling, said the process would take half an hour but was closer to an hour Talked about my resume but asked a lot of why questions. Continually asking to explain your explanation. You have to really know the technical details to what you're talking about.

Interview Question – Why aren't LEDs made of silicon? Why doesn't silicon emit a photon?   Answer Question

Durham, NC

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cree.

Interview Details – I was originally approached by Greene Resources, a temp agency, for an Equipment Technician in 2009. I had a single phone interview with who would become my direct supervisor and then moved to a half day interview on site which ended with a nice lunch with the entire group I would end up working for. The interview was fairly informal and easy going with a lot of technical talk to gauge my current knowledge, I was fresh out of college with a BS in Mechanical Engineering. I had a short meeting my supervisor and HR to discuss my permanent hiring to Cree, this was mainly paperwork and salary negotiation/agreement.

When I was promoted to Process Engineer internally I had a single initial interview while I was on the clock with who would be my direct manager to gauge my current knowledge of the process I would be taking over. I then moved on to a full day interview where I met with 6 members of the engineer and management team individually. I was treated to a very nice lunch.

We have since moved to a policy where every engineering candidate must prepare a 30 minute presentation for an audience of engineers and managers.

Interview Question – I really was not surprised by any questions during the interview. There were specific technical questions that I did not know the answer to but I was able to give a best effort and it was received well.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Very little negotiation for entry level. When I was hired from technician to engineer I was forced to take my exact hourly pay at 40 hours/week as my salary, this was a pay cut based only my required hours of 42 hours/week (2 being overtime). I was greatly compensated after a year in the engineering position and placed at a competitive entry level engineering salary.

Process Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cree in May 2012.

Interview Details – Applied through company contact. Got a call for setting up phone interview with HR. It was set for one week later. The person who called me was very nice and the questions started with how is the weather and related stuff. Lots of behavioral questions were asked and the manager said my resume matches well for the job profile. The interview lasted for good 40mins. He also gave information about the company and overall a very nice experience talking.
For some reason i was not asked to come for the next round and the reason that was given is they found someone else who has more experience than me and also visa.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult but questions were like what would you do in this situation and that...next five year plan...why they must hire you etc.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Durham, NC

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Cree in January 2010.

Interview Details – Interview was all day process with six interviews.

Worked for Cree? Contribute to the Community!