Critical Mass

8 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Information Architect Interview

Information Architect

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Critical Mass.

Interview Details – Contacted via phone due to personal recommendation. Spoke with HR over phone. Met with Account Manager in local coffee shop. Was offered within 2 weeks. It was both personal and professional, but I was expecting more in-depth analysis of my experience and expertise. Things were probably accelerated due to pressing project needs and particular skills they needed in the roster.

Interview Question – Standard bevy: toughest challenges to overcome, strengths, weaknesses   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was immobile, as they said the home office salaries were tiered lower than standard pay in my location. it was fair pay, but they didn't budge.

Information Architect Interview

Information Architect
Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Critical Mass in July 2010.

Interview Details – Pretty straightforward. Long but casual talk with recruiter/HR in another office, then met with an account manager to discuss ideas, role and responsibility. Asked and answered lots of things about experience, vision, skills and strengths. Discussed a great deal about the client and interacting with them. Had some really good coffee.

Interview Question – Describe the most difficult work experience you can remember and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They were pretty firm on the offer, even when I did a soft poke to see if they were flexible. It was reasonable, but didn't hurt to try.

Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Critical Mass in April 2010.

Interview Details – friend of a friend set up the initial interview. It lasted 1 hour with a wide range of topics covered. Mostly looked for fit and was hired after only 1 interview

Interview Question – what are your weaknesses   View Answer

Negotiation Details – easy - one phone call, got the offer and accepted

Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Critical Mass in May 2009.

Interview Details – I was phoned and went in for one interview. An offer was made two weeks later.

Interview Question – Questions were standard PM-type questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate, but I should have.

Intern Interview

Intern
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Critical Mass in April 2011.

Interview Details – Interviews were scheduled through email. The hiring committee was smaller than expected - 3 - a hiring manager and two creative directors. There were no hard questions, I just explained my work. The room the interviews were held were hot in the new building. The committee wanted to see everything I had to show, even if it was not related to the position. Everyone was casual and the only prepared questions came from the hiring manager.

Interview Question – Main questions were perception based, what do I know about the company, why would I want to work there, etc. This was a challenging question because depending you had to know a lot about each account, depending on which director wanted to interview you.   Answer Question

Developer Interview

Developer
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through other source and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Critical Mass.

Interview Details – The first contact came through from the company in the form of an email from one of their own HR/recruiters. At the initial face-to-face meeting with him, we talked about a general overview of the position and expectations.

In the second meeting with technology team members (three people: tech lead, tech director and a developer) I was asked general questions about technologies I am comfortable with and the technologies being used at the company.

Overall my experience was positive, the people involved were friendly and helpful.

Interview Question – I was asked about a scenario that they were experiencing. I had started the answer in one way and realized I should be answering from a more technical perspective so, I had to switch how I was phrasing my answer.   Answer Question

Planner Interview

Planner

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Critical Mass in April 2011.

Interview Details – I initially contacted CM about an open position. It took them a couple weeks to get back to me. Once they did, I had an easy phone screen with a recruiter. A few weeks after that, I interviewed with people in my department and people on a couple of different clients that I might work on.

The interviews themselves were strictly resume-based and behavioral. Everyone was nice (except for one person who I learned later just isn't very nice; it wasn't a tactic or anything).

Interview Question – Why don't you have more digital experience?
Do you use social media a lot?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They made me a pretty good offer; I countered asking for 5% more and they agreed.

Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Critical Mass in April 2010.

Interview Details – The employee who met with me was very friendly and welcoming. The company recruiter however hugely low balled me on job position and compensation. I was new to the city without many contacts in the local area so I took the position as a starting point. It is now very slow and hard to move up in the company being lowballed right off the bat.

Worked for Critical Mass? Contribute to the Community!