Crossroads Trading

Relevance Date Difficulty

Buyer Interview

Buyer
Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Crossroads Trading in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied in-store and was invited for an interview with the store manager within a week. Once I passed that round, I was notified that my next interview was with the district manager where from there I was hired.

Interview Question – Top 5 current/trendy upscale designers   Answer Question

Part Time Sales Associate/Buyer Interview

Part Time Sales Associate/Buyer
San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Crossroads Trading in June 2014.

Interview Details – Online/ at Home-
Found a listing on craigslist and sent in my resume and cover letter in an email. I then got an email asking me to come into the store to fill out an application.

In store-
Application was pretty long. About 3-4 pages. It asked the usual questions you would find on an application: previous work experience, what are some current fashion brands, what you like about Crossroads etc.
As I turned in the application I was asked to come back in 2 days for an interview with either the assistant store manager or the actual store manager.

Interview-
I arrived about 5 minutes early, and told the buyer at the store I was there for an interview. About 10 minutes later the store manager greeted me with a firm handshake and escorted me to the back room for the interview.
I ended up interviewing with the store manager and another employee who sat in during the entire process. I was asked a list of specific questions, about 3 pages worth. My answers were taken note of extensively, with little to no feedback from the ladies.
After the series of questions, I was asked to go through a box of clothing and sort them into 2 piles. One pile of clothing I would accept, and one pile of clothing I would deny. I was then asked to price each article and explain why I either denied or accepted it for the store.
Lastly, I was given both a math test and spelling test. I really don't understand why the spelling test was necessary, but so be it.

I received a phone call the next day asking if I would be willing to come in for a second interview immediately with the district manager.
I have yet to call them back, but will do so, sometime this evening.

Interview Question – What are your hobbies?
What are your long time career goals?
Can you tell us about three different times that you were praised at work?
Tell us about a time when you had to deal with a difficult situation.
What are some styles that are 'in' this season.
  Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Crossroads Trading in August 2013.

Interview Details – Hiring at Crossroads is CRAZY! Even for buyers. I had a screening with my recruiter, followed by an in person interview with the DM.. I had to take a buy test, math test, spelling test, and was then invited back the next day for a Skype interview with the VP. They also requested a copy of my w2 so that they could make sure I was lying about my previous salary, and because they don't want to give you a pay increase.

Interview Question – They were all pretty generic interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They will not give you more than you made in your current or previous position.. if they do it will be maybe 1k per year more. You will be working HARD, get what you deserve!

Sales Associate/Buyer Interview

Sales Associate/Buyer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Crossroads Trading.

Interview Details – Usually you will get interviewed by the Assistant Manager, the Store Manager and the District Manager.
Prepare to be there for a while. They have 3 sheets of questions that are not yes or no answers. Most questions are fashion related.
You are asked to go through a bin of clothes and pick merchandise that you will bring in to the store and price it.

Interview Question – Bin test   View Answer

Sales/Buyer Interview

Sales/Buyer

Interviewed at Crossroads Trading

Interview Details – They do in-store applications only. Although if you see their ads on Craigslist, you can still submit, but your chances are better in person. When you have been selected as a candidate, you meet with the store manager for a brief informal interview. If you are to be selected for the next step, you will have a formal interview with the store manager and district manager. Interview includes math and spelling test, buy test, and questions that help evaluate your experience in the retail and apparel world.

Interview Question – During the buy test, be prepared to answer why you would not and why you would buy a certain item of clothing   Answer Question

Floor Staff Interview

Floor Staff
Santa Monica, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Crossroads Trading in July 2012.

Interview Details – I first came into contact with Crossroads Trading company through a Craigslist posting, I wasn't sure what to expect. It was an open call for prospective employees, so I took my resume and dressed up for a good first impression. The buyer I spoke to first was friendly and directed me to fill out the first form (basic info, like available hours and previous experience in limited detail).

When I was done, she offered the second part, which was much longer. The second part was more personal, asking about experience with the fashion world, what sort of brands were "hot in the market" and generally getting a sense of you as a person.

After I filled out both halves, I was invited to wait if I wanted an interview on the spot. I hadn't anticipated an interview, to be honest, and certainly not right away, but it was an opportunity I wasn't going to miss. I met first with the store manager, who was only a little older than me and quite casual about her interview process. She had a sheet of questions to refer to, but our interview was most conversational. I spent the most time explaining my extensive volunteer experiences and emphasizing that this was my first job.

The second person I interviewed with was the district manager, who was much more formal and, frankly, intimidating. She followed her list of questions more directly and wrote down my answers in detail. She focused on details such as my physical strength (carrying heavy loads, lifting bags and boxes, etc.) that surprised me. We discussed where I currently live, the commute, my decision to apply in retail, and my opinion of the company.

When we were finished, the store manager escorted me to the front and assured me that they'd be in touch within the week. I believe it was only two or three days before I got my call back.

Interview Question – As I mentioned above, I wasn't prepared to discuss my physical strength. It turns out that this job has a fair amount of heavy lifting involved. We ship out and bring in transfers daily. I would also consider if you're afraid of heights with this location, as storage is only accessible by ladder into our very full loft space.   Answer Question

Floor Supervisor Interview

Floor Supervisor

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Crossroads Trading.

Interview Details – Got a call to come in for an interview. Met with regional manager who was very sweet and professional, felt very comfortable. 2nd interview was with store manager and she felt very entitled and off-putting. Then I received a call a few days later from the store manager questioning information on my application in an extremely rude manner. Then they make the offer to me the following week.

Reason for Declining – It was such a poor experience I encountered by the store manager, that there was no way in hell I'd wanna work every day with them. I came from a top tier luxury retailer and if that was their strongest offer then I question their integrity.

Sales Associate/Buyer Interview

Sales Associate/Buyer

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Crossroads Trading in September 2009.

Interview Details – Interviewed with both associate managers - both asked me a series of questions including scenarios, then I was asked to take a "buying test" where I went through a pile of clothes and said whether or not I would buy each item for the store. I was asked to explain why I passed on certain items and I was asked to price the items that I would buy. I also took a spelling and math test.

Knowledge and passion for fashion is very important.

Interview Question – "Why is fashion important to you?"   Answer Question

Worked for Crossroads Trading? Contribute to the Community!