Crunch Fitness

Updated Jun 16, 2014

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews

San Mateo, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Crunch Fitness in November 2012.

Interview Details – I interviewed with Mike, the General Manager. He was nice and pretty laid back like everyone else who seemed to work there. They even request that when you come in you wear normal clothes like how you would dress if you worked there, not interview clothes. My interview lasted maybe 45 mins to an hour, but I did ask a lot of questions at the end. Most of the questions he asked were personality type questions and being that I have no sales experience, it was pretty clear that they look for people who would be a good fit for the company and they are willing to train you. He pretty much told me at the end that he liked me and was going to have me come back for a 2nd interview. I ended up declining it later on because of the pay ($9/hr. and the rest is commission) and the distance for me was really far so overall it wasn't worth it. They also tell you that if you're earning $24,000/year then you're doing an average-ish job but they expect you to exceed your quotas every month. $45,000/year and up is kind of what they really expect from you, keeping in mind that it's almost all commission. If you have experience selling or you're naturally good at it, you could do really well, but if you're looking for a steady paycheck every month then this probably isn't the right position.

Interview Question – Because I had no sales experience, I got put to the test. First test was "sell me this stapler" and he didn't really give in until I worked for it and wouldn't let him not "buy" it. Second test was that I had to go up to this girl who was sitting at a desk that worked there and "sell her on signing up for a Crunch membership/personal training/classes"   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Too little pay to count on ($9/hr + commission) and too far for me to drive every day

Chicago, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Crunch Fitness in November 2010.

Interview Details – Filled out an application for employment and submitted it to the front desk. Received a call a few days later from the personal training manager to schedule an interview. Came in for an interview with the PT director and the General manager. Was hired a few weeks later, received a Level 2 status because of work experience. And my base pay reflected such.

Interview Question – Have I ever been fired for sexual harassment.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I wanted to start as a level 2 trainer with a higher pay scale. Because of my experience I believe I could do what was required for a level 2 trainer. They agreed and I got the base pay.

Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Crunch Fitness in May 2012.

Interview Details – I was asked to come and meet with the co-owner of the facility who did the initial screening to see if I had the skills needed for the personal training manager to meet with. She asked about my past employers and about my certifications. A week the personal training manager contacted me to discuss coming in for a second interview. The second interview coincided with the gym opening so we kept getting interrupted. At one point I sat in the office and waited for 20 minutes. Because of the interruptions the interview lasted for 2.5 hours. This didn't bother me because I understood the circumstances. Both interviewers were passionate about their work and pleasant to talk to.

Interview Question – How would you handle a new client on the the first session through 3rd session.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Because the gym was just opening and hours weren't established my family had an issue with me working nights and weekends.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interviewed at Crunch Fitness

Interview Details – Initial phone screening used to gather information regarding my past experience, certifications, and availability. First interview was traditional in that we dug a littler deeper into my resume and personality; such as if I am a 'Team Player'. Second interview was practical application and a chance to showcase my skill set as an experienced and qualified trainer.

Interview Question – None were particularly difficult or unexpected. Truly an experience to be yourself.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Crunch Fitness.

Interview Details – I interviewed w/ the Fitness Manager and then the Regional Manager, pretty fast process.

Interview Question – Honestly it was a pretty easy process. I get the feeling that they hire alot due to turnover   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Crunch Fitness in August 2013.

Interview Details – Answered a posting online on Craigslist for Crunch 34th Street. After a brief phone interview I was invited over the following week. The interview began promptly and lasted no more then 10 mins. It was all very basic questions such as why I want this job, etc... Afterwards, I received the job sales pitch from their advertisement. After that I was told, 'we will be touching base shortly' but never heard back.

Interview Question – None, its very simple and straight forward.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Front Desk Interview

Front Desk
Danville, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Crunch Fitness in February 2012.

Interview Details – Very basic and easy interview, had to go through two rounds of interviews.

Interview Question – None really very standard.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – 8.00/hr

Very Easy Interview

Front Desk Interview

Front Desk
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Crunch Fitness in March 2013.

Interview Details – I was called in for an interview about 2 weeks after submitting my resume via craiglslist. It was for the new branch of gyms they are opening at a lower price point. The interview was a group interview that asked an eclectic group of questions such as what makes a great supervisor, your strengths, who your hero is, to what artist your listening to now and your favorite movie. Of course their were some questions that focused on fitness. Overall a decent interview, I believe management was just looking for people to be themselves. After this interview I was told there would be someone contacting us about a second interview, but instead I was contacted with an offer, so I have no information to offer about the second interview.

Interview Question – What can a person that annoys you and just get under your skin?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Pay is very low

San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Crunch Fitness in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online on a Friday and received a call on Monday for a Tuesday interview. When I arrived, I told the Front Desk employee who I was and who I was there to see. He told me the GM was with a potential member and to take a seat. I saw the GM go on a tour which lasted about 15 minutes. When he came back, he told me he was sorry and that he should be with me in a moment. While I waited, 3 employees approached me separately and we talked for a moment (all very friendly). After waiting for an hour, I decided to leave. About an hour later, the GM left me a voice mail apologizing and told me to call him back if I wanted to reschedule the interview. I thought this was very nice but did not to call him back. I understand that they were not properly staffed that day and wanted to get another member but I felt disrespected before an actual interview occurred. If this is how I was treated before an interview, I wonder how I would be treated as an employee.

Membership Advisor

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Crunch Fitness.

Interview Details – Applied online, got an email invitation for an interview. Greated by the reception staff, asked to wait while having a chat to the friendly and happy staff. Then sat down with the CEO, (first crunch to open in Australia, now it's just the GM's that do the interviews) he asked me a few questions such as What I do when I'm stressed, an example of going above and beyond for customer service and what it means to me. Why I would be a good fit for the job, then had informal conversation about my travels and sporting history.

Interview Question – What is your weakness   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I recieved another call, this time from the new General Manager, just going over a few more things and saying they would love to have me on board and they have a staff meeting next week that all new employees should attend.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Crunch Fitness

Worked for Crunch Fitness? Contribute to the Community!