Crytek Interview Questions

Updated Mar 31, 2015

2.8

Senior Animator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Crytek (Frankfurt am Main (Germany)).

Interview

Took a couple of weeks to get started once i sent my application.

Had a first skype interview set up, but since this was for a regular position I didn't proceed. Fortunately another position (senior) opened up and we arranged another skype interview. This process was fairly fast but once i was told i could come over things begun to take time. Responses took 1-2 weeks and it was mostly delaying of flying me over for unknown reasons. Three months in i got told that they proceeded with another candidate.

Senior Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Crytek (Frankfurt am Main (Germany)) in February 2015.

Interview

This started as maybe one of the best interview processes I had in my life. It started with the regular phone interview, then they sent a programming quiz to complete which I completed and sent back and then a week later, I was told that I passed and that they need to perform a final interview on campus.

So far so good. That was back in December 2014, at that time they asked me to wait for a couple of weeks because everyone back then was having the holidays vacation, so I waited until January, we worked on the visa and everything, and I visited them on Campus on the second week of February of 2015 to have a full day of interviews.

The on-campus interviews difficulty level was not really that hard. Some questions were a little bit tough (i.e. how the C++ compiler perform some tasks regarding some specific commands) but overall, it was not very tough.

The impression I got from everyone that everyone was impressed enough to place some people with me near the end who just sat there and listened to what I did in my life. I met that that with over 20 engineers and artists from all different parts of Crytek, most of them were on a leader position and who kept asking me which part of Crytek I would prefer the most and they kept telling me what their projects are and trying to sell their teams to me. Judging from my interviews in different firms all over the world (I am currently Microsoft MSFT and I worked and lived in half a dozen of countries all over the world) I knew that people would start such conversations only when they are convinced that they got a matching candidate.

So the day ended and HR notified me that it would take a week before she comes back to me with the result, a max of 10 days in the worst case.

Today is March 31st of 2015. The interview was on the 10th of February, that means a total of 49 days and I still don't know if I passed the damn interview or not!!

I sent few emails and I even called a couple of times and HR didn't even want to talk with me and she told the receptionist to tell me that she has something and she would call me back very soon.

I am not sure how busy Crytek is, but I know that companies like Microsoft, Amazon, Google, Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter and others would come back to you with a definitive answer as long as they accepted your resume. This is really my first to hear about any company in the entire world who would invite someone for an on-campus full loop and fail to notify him about the interview results!!

Senior UI Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Crytek (Frankfurt am Main (Germany)) in February 2015.

Interview

Skype interview 40 mins : Software development related questions and few question from mathematics. Interviewer were nice and did not ask any unrelated question. The position was explained well and it was made clear that the position is to design and develop User interface and graphics domain knowledge is not required.

2nd round : Have to fix a programming code. Now this was the bad part as the programming problem was graphics domain related and the test was time bound (3 days).

Why this was bad : You want to hire a fish to swim and you are judging him by his ability to climb trees.

I think they have a standard programming problem which they give to all the candidates.I developed a scalable solution(faster as cpu cores increase) with SIMD optimizations. But the interviewer was not happy with the documentation I did. I documented the classes with their methods and parameters and I did write comments wherever I thought might help the reviewer ( I worked under strict FDA regulations and I know what a well documented code looks like).

Some recommendations to Crytek:

1. Judge the person based on the open position and its requirements. Not everyone in a hospital is a Doctor.

2. People were nice and polite. Keep it like that.

3. Please give the deadlines for programming test in man hours rather than days as 3 - 4 days for a working guy translate into 6 - 8 hrs of programming time as they are still employed and no body takes the day off for such occasions.

FX Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Crytek.

Interview

The company is simply awesome. I had applied and got an email from a recuiter,Crytek, Frankfurt stating they were interested and asked me if i could give a test. However i wasn't familiar with the software and they gave me ample amount of time to learn it and give the test. Although i couldn't make it but still it was a great experience for me. I'm glad and honoured they considered me. The recruiter is one of the best persons I've come across. They try their best to help and have no complaints doing it.Very supportive team indeed.

Web Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Crytek (Frankfurt am Main (Germany)) in December 2014.

Interview

The was not much an interview process, but working on test task. The checked out my background and asked to make a redesign of 2 pages(Cannot talk about what pages i had to redesign cause of NDA). I was pretty satisfied with communication experience and HR manages was super cool and friendly but something strange happened. I send test task i received strange answer. I know that there's so much candidates for this position and letters for candidates who did not passed may be pretty abstract, but they weren't. I received answer with some critics. And i can understand why they have to do it, but make sure that you sending letters to the right person. I was reading about mistakes, design solutions and techniques i didn't even made or used. That was dumb to read something so unrelated to test task i did. And when i asked HR how this even related to my project, she didn't answered. Fail.

Interview Questions

• Qualifications and projects   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

(Translated from English)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Crytek (Frankfurt am Main (Germany)).

Interview

Ich habe meinen Lebenslauf hingeschickt, wurde mehr als eine Woche später angerufen und zu einem Gespräch vor Ort eingeladen. Der Gesprächspartner hatte keine Ahnung, wie man ein Bewerbungsgespräch führt und hat die meiste Zeit selbst geredet oder Suggestivfragen gestellt. Es war extrem leicht, aber bedenklich. Positiv war, das der ganze Ablauf schnell ging.

I sent my CV, I was called over a week later for an one onsite interview, the interviewer had no idea how to interview and spent most of the meeting talking or asking leading questions. It was extremely easy, but concerning. On the plus side, the whole process was fast.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Crytek hat bei meinem Gehalt ganz schön gefeilscht. Ich ermutige zukünftige Bewerber, das zu verlangen, was sie wert sind, und nicht notwendigerweise nur das, was Crytek bereit ist, zu zahlen.

Spieleentwickler Interview

(Translated from English)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Crytek (Frankfurt am Main (Germany)).

Interview

Ich hatte ein erstes Bewerbungsgespräch am Telefon, einen Kodierungstest und ein Bewerbungsgespräch vor Ort. Die ersten beiden waren recht einfach, aber das persönliche Bewerbungsgespräch war lang und hart.

I had an initial phone interview, a coding test and an on-site interview. The first two were fairly easy, but the on-site interview was long and heavy.

Interview Questions

• Man stellte mir eine Menge technischer Fragen (typische C++-Bewerbungsfragen), mit einigen tat ich mich schwer.   There were a lot of technical questions (typical C++ interview questions), some of them which I struggled with.   Answer Question

Game Programmer Interview

Interview

C++, Algorithms, Software Engineering related questions

Interview Questions

• Good understanding of multiple areas of software engineering and game development   Answer Question

Leitender Softwareentwickler Interview

Anonymous Employee in Frankfurt (Oder) (Germany)

(Translated from English)

Application

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Crytek (Frankfurt (Oder) (Germany)).

Interview

Es begann mit einem 45-minütigen technischen Telefongespräch mit einigen ihrer Programmierer, die Fragen waren sehr spezifisch und konzentrierten sich auf den Bereich meiner Spezialisierung, aber nichts Überraschendes an dieser Stelle.

Danach wurde mir ein Programmiertest geschickt, und man gab mir eine Woche, ihn abzuschließen. Der Test war wirklich eine Herausforderung und kostete mich mehr als 10 Stunden wirklicher, harter Arbeit.

Danach flogen sie mich nach Frankfurt zu einem Gespräch vor Ort. Der Vorstellungsprozess dauerte fast 6 Stunden, er war sehr intensiv und beinhaltete mehrere in die Tiefe gehende Gespräche mit verschiedenen Leuten sowie einen Debugging-Test.

It started with a 45 mins technical phone interview with a few of their programmers, questions were very specific and focused in my area of speciality but nothing surprising here.

After that I was sent a programming test and given a week to complete it. The test was really challenging and took me over 10 hours of actual hard work to get it done.

After that they flew me to Frankfurt for onsite interview. The interview lasted nearly 6 hours, it was very intense and consisted several in-depth technical interviews with different people and a debugging test.

Interview Questions

• Der Programmiertest war auf jeden anders als alle anderen Tests, die mir bis dahin begegnet waren, da er viel Zeit und Können erforderte.   The programming test was certainly unlike any other test I had come across before in an interview because of the amount of time and skill required.   Answer Question

Leitender Softwareentwickler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

(Translated from English)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Crytek (Frankfurt am Main (Germany)) in November 2012.

Interview

Als erstes gibt es ein technisches Interview per Telefon. Die meisten Fragen sind ziemlich Standard (C/C++), es gibt auch ein paar Mathe-Fragen (Skalar- und Kreuzprodukt). Danach gab es eine Programmieraufgabe, für die ich eine Woche hatte. Dann wurde ich zu einem Interview vor Ort gebeten, das aus einem Gespräch zu zweit und Fragen vor einer Kommission bestand.

First thing is a technical interview over the phone. Most of the questions are really standard ones (C/C++) there are also some math questions (dot&cross product). After that I had a programming test for which I had one week. After that I was asked to come for an on-site interview which consisted of 1-1 and panel questions.

Interview Questions

• Es gab keine unerwarteten Fragen.   There were no unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Ein Angebot wurde präsentiert, eine kleine Verhandlung (~5 %) war möglich.