Crytek Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2015

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Basic and advanced knowledge of Software Engineering is required.
    From the different of Stack and Heap memory, to advanced quiz such as swapping very long string with lack of processing memory. If you offer to interview for this position, you should review all over your school notes.

Game Programmer Interview

Interview

C++, Algorithms, Software Engineering related questions

Interview Questions

• Good understanding of multiple areas of software engineering and game development   Answer Question

Senior Animator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Crytek (Frankfurt am Main (Germany)).

Interview

Took a couple of weeks to get started once i sent my application.

Had a first skype interview set up, but since this was for a regular position I didn't proceed. Fortunately another position (senior) opened up and we arranged another skype interview. This process was fairly fast but once i was told i could come over things begun to take time. Responses took 1-2 weeks and it was mostly delaying of flying me over for unknown reasons. Three months in i got told that they proceeded with another candidate.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

(Translated from English)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Crytek (Frankfurt am Main (Germany)).

Interview

Ich habe meinen Lebenslauf hingeschickt, wurde mehr als eine Woche später angerufen und zu einem Gespräch vor Ort eingeladen. Der Gesprächspartner hatte keine Ahnung, wie man ein Bewerbungsgespräch führt und hat die meiste Zeit selbst geredet oder Suggestivfragen gestellt. Es war extrem leicht, aber bedenklich. Positiv war, das der ganze Ablauf schnell ging.

I sent my CV, I was called over a week later for an one onsite interview, the interviewer had no idea how to interview and spent most of the meeting talking or asking leading questions. It was extremely easy, but concerning. On the plus side, the whole process was fast.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Crytek hat bei meinem Gehalt ganz schön gefeilscht. Ich ermutige zukünftige Bewerber, das zu verlangen, was sie wert sind, und nicht notwendigerweise nur das, was Crytek bereit ist, zu zahlen.

Senior Animator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nottingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Crytek (Nottingham, England (UK)) in May 2012.

Interview

Was cool, very excited. I knew these before from an older company. So we already had trust in each other and what I could offer to the company. It was very relaxed and confident on both sides.

Animator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Crytek (Frankfurt am Main (Germany)) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online, took 2-3 weeks for reply. and they set up an interview by Skype.
    and it took more a month due to holidays. and finally they asked me a on-site interview, and the interview went well.
     The Interview was a general one, easy, comfortable. I explained my background, and I told them what I want to learn from the company.
     Online interview was overall easy, comfortable. and the Onsite interview was super fun.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me your background?   1 Answer
    • How you approach shots when you take the shots?   1 Answer

Concept Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kiev (Ukraine)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Crytek (Kiev (Ukraine)) in September 2013.

Interview

The interview was basic. They asked me what do you know about the company and if you could describe your work. Usually they give you a test that you would have to do in few days or week.

Game Designer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Crytek in December 2010.

Interview

Phone interview, bunch of people on the phone, went fine. No problems. Not sure why I'm filling this out

Salary

Web Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Crytek (Frankfurt am Main (Germany)) in December 2014.

Interview

The was not much an interview process, but working on test task. The checked out my background and asked to make a redesign of 2 pages(Cannot talk about what pages i had to redesign cause of NDA). I was pretty satisfied with communication experience and HR manages was super cool and friendly but something strange happened. I send test task i received strange answer. I know that there's so much candidates for this position and letters for candidates who did not passed may be pretty abstract, but they weren't. I received answer with some critics. And i can understand why they have to do it, but make sure that you sending letters to the right person. I was reading about mistakes, design solutions and techniques i didn't even made or used. That was dumb to read something so unrelated to test task i did. And when i asked HR how this even related to my project, she didn't answered. Fail.

Interview Questions

• Qualifications and projects   1 Answer

Senior UI Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Crytek (Frankfurt am Main (Germany)) in February 2015.

Interview

Skype interview 40 mins : Software development related questions and few question from mathematics. Interviewer were nice and did not ask any unrelated question. The position was explained well and it was made clear that the position is to design and develop User interface and graphics domain knowledge is not required.

2nd round : Have to fix a programming code. Now this was the bad part as the programming problem was graphics domain related and the test was time bound (3 days).

Why this was bad : You want to hire a fish to swim and you are judging him by his ability to climb trees.

I think they have a standard programming problem which they give to all the candidates.I developed a scalable solution(faster as cpu cores increase) with SIMD optimizations. But the interviewer was not happy with the documentation I did. I documented the classes with their methods and parameters and I did write comments wherever I thought might help the reviewer ( I worked under strict FDA regulations and I know what a well documented code looks like).

Some recommendations to Crytek:

1. Judge the person based on the open position and its requirements. Not everyone in a hospital is a Doctor.

2. People were nice and polite. Keep it like that.

3. Please give the deadlines for programming test in man hours rather than days as 3 - 4 days for a working guy translate into 6 - 8 hrs of programming time as they are still employed and no body takes the day off for such occasions.