Crytek Interview Questions

Updated Mar 16, 2015
Updated Mar 16, 2015

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Basic and advanced knowledge of Software Engineering is required.
    From the different of Stack and Heap memory, to advanced quiz such as swapping very long string with lack of processing memory. If you offer to interview for this position, you should review all over your school notes.

Game Programmer Interview

C++, Algorithms, Software Engineering related questions

Interview Questions
    • Good understanding of multiple areas of software engineering and game development   Answer Question

Manager Interview

(Translated from English)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Crytek.

Ich habe meinen Lebenslauf hingeschickt, wurde mehr als eine Woche später angerufen und zu einem Gespräch vor Ort eingeladen. Der Gesprächspartner hatte keine Ahnung, wie man ein Bewerbungsgespräch führt und hat die meiste Zeit selbst geredet oder Suggestivfragen gestellt. Es war extrem leicht, aber bedenklich. Positiv war, das der ganze Ablauf schnell ging.

I sent my CV, I was called over a week later for an one onsite interview, the interviewer had no idea how to interview and spent most of the meeting talking or asking leading questions. It was extremely easy, but concerning. On the plus side, the whole process was fast.

Interview Questions
    Crytek hat bei meinem Gehalt ganz schön gefeilscht. Ich ermutige zukünftige Bewerber, das zu verlangen, was sie wert sind, und nicht notwendigerweise nur das, was Crytek bereit ist, zu zahlen.

Senior Animator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Crytek.

Took a couple of weeks to get started once i sent my application.

Had a first skype interview set up, but since this was for a regular position I didn't proceed. Fortunately another position (senior) opened up and we arranged another skype interview. This process was fairly fast but once i was told i could come over things begun to take time. Responses took 1-2 weeks and it was mostly delaying of flying me over for unknown reasons. Three months in i got told that they proceeded with another candidate.

Senior Animator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nottingham, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Crytek in May 2012.

Was cool, very excited. I knew these before from an older company. So we already had trust in each other and what I could offer to the company. It was very relaxed and confident on both sides.

Web Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Crytek in December 2014.

The was not much an interview process, but working on test task. The checked out my background and asked to make a redesign of 2 pages(Cannot talk about what pages i had to redesign cause of NDA). I was pretty satisfied with communication experience and HR manages was super cool and friendly but something strange happened. I send test task i received strange answer. I know that there's so much candidates for this position and letters for candidates who did not passed may be pretty abstract, but they weren't. I received answer with some critics. And i can understand why they have to do it, but make sure that you sending letters to the right person. I was reading about mistakes, design solutions and techniques i didn't even made or used. That was dumb to read something so unrelated to test task i did. And when i asked HR how this even related to my project, she didn't answered. Fail.

Senior UI Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Crytek in February 2015.

Skype interview 40 mins : Software development related questions and few question from mathematics. Interviewer were nice and did not ask any unrelated question. The position was explained well and it was made clear that the position is to design and develop User interface and graphics domain knowledge is not required.

2nd round : Have to fix a programming code. Now this was the bad part as the programming problem was graphics domain related and the test was time bound (3 days).

Why this was bad : You want to hire a fish to swim and you are judging him by his ability to climb trees.

I think they have a standard programming problem which they give to all the candidates.I developed a scalable solution(faster as cpu cores increase) with SIMD optimizations. But the interviewer was not happy with the documentation I did. I documented the classes with their methods and parameters and I did write comments wherever I thought might help the reviewer ( I worked under strict FDA regulations and I know what a well documented code looks like).

Some recommendations to Crytek:

1. Judge the person based on the open position and its requirements. Not everyone in a hospital is a Doctor.

2. People were nice and polite. Keep it like that.

3. Please give the deadlines for programming test in man hours rather than days as 3 - 4 days for a working guy translate into 6 - 8 hrs of programming time as they are still employed and no body takes the day off for such occasions.

Leitender Softwareentwickler Interview

(Translated from English)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Crytek in November 2012.

Als erstes gibt es ein technisches Interview per Telefon. Die meisten Fragen sind ziemlich Standard (C/C++), es gibt auch ein paar Mathe-Fragen (Skalar- und Kreuzprodukt). Danach gab es eine Programmieraufgabe, für die ich eine Woche hatte. Dann wurde ich zu einem Interview vor Ort gebeten, das aus einem Gespräch zu zweit und Fragen vor einer Kommission bestand.

First thing is a technical interview over the phone. Most of the questions are really standard ones (C/C++) there are also some math questions (dot&cross product). After that I had a programming test for which I had one week. After that I was asked to come for an on-site interview which consisted of 1-1 and panel questions.

Interview Questions
    • Es gab keine unerwarteten Fragen.   There were no unexpected questions.   Answer Question
    Ein Angebot wurde präsentiert, eine kleine Verhandlung (~5 %) war möglich.

Game Designer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Crytek in December 2010.

Phone interview, bunch of people on the phone, went fine. No problems. Not sure why I'm filling this out

Salary

Spieleentwickler Interview

(Translated from English)

I applied online – interviewed at Crytek.

Ich hatte ein erstes Bewerbungsgespräch am Telefon, einen Kodierungstest und ein Bewerbungsgespräch vor Ort. Die ersten beiden waren recht einfach, aber das persönliche Bewerbungsgespräch war lang und hart.

I had an initial phone interview, a coding test and an on-site interview. The first two were fairly easy, but the on-site interview was long and heavy.

Interview Questions
    • Man stellte mir eine Menge technischer Fragen (typische C++-Bewerbungsfragen), mit einigen tat ich mich schwer.   There were a lot of technical questions (typical C++ interview questions), some of them which I struggled with.   Answer Question