Cummins-Allison

3.2

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cummins-Allison

Software Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Prospect, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Cummins-Allison in October 2012.

Only was 1 interview. I anticipated more of a social visit (like an intial screen) and got a technical review. They just passed me down the line of their top engineers and they asked me questions from c/++ basic keywords and how keywords like "extern" and such functioned. Then 2 people asked me algorithm questions, and UML design, some database questions, and to hand trace some code. KNOW POINTERS WELL

Interview Questions
    • algorithms - it was poorly worded when I was asked this, and the solution I was given still does not fully answer what was asked. But it boiled down to this: "you have an array full of numbers, one of the numbers in the array is missing and one is duplicated. find the missing number"   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Prospect, IL

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Cummins-Allison in October 2012.

Phone interview followed by Skype and then in person, got back to me within a couple of weeks. They were very flexible as I met them on a Saturday.

Interview Questions
    • Those interviewing for software positions are given C and C++ coding questions. You are also asked how you would devise algorithms to solve various problems.   Answer Question
    Got the position via a recruiter, he did most of the negotiation, though I did add input on relocation and was given a sign-on bonus towards that. In regrads to salary I stated up front what I would accept and they met that.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cummins-Allison in November 2011.

The first interview was super laid back, probably just to screen out the obvious weirdos. The second interview was technical, and included a lot of C questions about things like volatile/static, endianess, threads, looping, etc. It wasn't easy, but if you know what you're doing, it won't be hard.

Everyone was super friendly and laid back, and the second interviewer seemed like a cool guy (very open about everything).

Interview Questions
    • What would you do in the case where a necessary Windows provided function (in a DLL) wasn't deterministic?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Prospect, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Cummins-Allison in September 2011.

I heard about the opening through a recruiter. At first glance, it seemed like a really good opportunity and the work seemed interesting. Interviewed with 4-5 people, including the department head. Pretty much a typical interview, one of the developers gave me skill test and another gave me a tour of the facility. Also, it was in their R&D department, which seemed better than product development.

Again, at first glance, it seemed OK, but I felt there were issues (see below).

Interview Questions
    • The skill test was interesting, but not really difficult. I felt more constrained by the amount of time I had and the developer "looking over my shoulder."   View Answers (2)

There were inconsistencies between the recruiter and company. One issue was vacation time, I asked for more than the standard two weeks. I asked the hiring manager what happens if he left the company, he told me that it was a gentleman's agreement and that I would lose the time. The recruiter said I was "thinking too much" about it and similar arrangements have been made. Clearly, the recruiter was concerned only about his commission and not my career. I've worked with other recruiters in the past that had both concerns in mind, so I was disappointed with this one.

Hiring manager seemed nice, professional, but one of the developers said he was a micro-manager. Another developer was arrogant and I felt that he would have been difficult to work with. Company seemed stagnant, stuffy, constricting, and that upward mobility was difficult. Someone either needed to leave the company or die. Also, I felt I would be taking a step backwards in my career (i.e. typical working environment, cubicles and open space. I now have an office with a door.).

After the interview and they decided to make me an offer, they asked me what I wanted. I made a list and was told ".. that ain't going to happen.." because I would be making more that others in the group who have been there longer. I was concerned about personal information becoming public. They wanted the yearly bonus to make up the difference in salary (no guarantees that a bonus would happen, however).

Benefits were OK, but I would have been taking a cut and paying more per month. I tried to "make it up" by what I asked for, but then I got the "..that ain't going to happen.." response (see above).

One of the developers complained about another developer taking work home over the weekend. He felt it showed an inefficiency in performance and that one should be able to get everything done in 40 hours. Personally, I like taking work home over the weekend and sometimes at night. It gives me more time to think about a better solution, and I like what I do.

To be fair, I should mention that the hiring manger contacted me a few months later saying that he found a solution to the vacation issue. He would increase my salary by that amount and allow me to take a week off without pay. All sounded good, but I was concerned about potential repercussions with taking a week off without pay (how that would be viewed by others in management, particularly if he left the company, etc.), and considering my other concerns, I still felt that I was better off where I was.

However, Looking back, I feel I dodged a bullet. They're conservative, which is not always a bad thing, but they hold back on salary and benefits. Additionally, the company seems to show up frequently on Career-Builder, LinkedIn, and Monster. Seemed like a revolving door, related to dissatisfied employees and not growth.