Cummins Interview Questions in Columbus, IN

Updated Mar 14, 2015

2.8

Senior Electronic Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN) in May 2014.

Interview

I applied for the position through their website. Approximately one week later I was contacted to setup a phone interview for the following week. I was contacted a month later to inform me that they were interested in proceeding and would like to know my compensation requirements. I heard back from them a week later with an offer letter. I reviewed it and accepted the position. I was given a start date for over a month later.

Interview Questions

• All questions were standard and expected. A lot of focus on behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I received all most everything I asked for. They do not budge on certain items (i.e. vacation time) no matter how much experience you are coming in with.

IT Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN).

Interview

Internal employee suggested HCL contractor.

Interview Questions

• This is a straightforward assessment of your abilities.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Back and forth on interviews with many people at many differnt levels of management. Then many phone calls between HCL employees regarding emails with I insurance information, retirement funding options and contract information. Then more phone calls with salary negotiations. Just aim high on the negotiations, there are annual raises, but not necessarily jumps in salary due to adjustments of internal responsibilities.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN) in March 2014.

Interview

submitted resume online, had two phone interviews, was brought on a few months later and onboarded then introduced to my manager. The interviews were very relaxed and comfortable, although I would have preferred to interview in person

Interview Questions

• Name a challenge that you have faced in the past year... (not a difficult question)   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate because I was an intern

Mechanical Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN) in February 2014.

Interview

Applied Online, Process took 3 months to get a call, had a call with a recruiter which asked all the basic behavioral questions and i think i responded all fine. He said he will get back to me, but in reality they never did. Company does'nt have any courtesy to reach out even if there is a denial. Waited more than a month, as it was my dream job, followed up with the recruiter but no luck. Too arrogant and rude people.

Interview Questions

• Explain how will you solve conflict with your team worker   1 Answer

Systems Performance Analysis Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN) in January 2014.

Interview

I was first interviewed in December 2013 for an internship position for summer. After about a month I received another call for a technical interview from Cummins in Columbus, IN. The interviewer was a team leader in one of Cummins units in headquarters. At the end I received the offer after a month at the end of February and beginning of march was the deadline to accept/reject the offer

Interview Questions

• Unexpected questions were basic Thermodynamics ones such as first or second law. Most difficult question was : How do you increase the efficiency of internal combustion engines. The question was general and not on any specific application.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate since it was a great offer for an internship.

Rapid-serve Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN).

Interview

My first interview followed a career fair and information session at my college. The first interview was with a RapidServe Engineer team leader and a member of management that came to my school. The interview was very relaxed. I was asked to walk them through my resume then asked a few behavioral questions. I also asked them a few questions during the interview.
    About a month later I received a phone call from the RapidServe Engineer that interviewed me. He congratulated me and informed me that I had been selected to be brought to Columbus for a second round of interviews.
    The interviews in Columbus started at 7:30am. A RapidServe Engineer took me to breakfast and talked with me about his experiences with the job. I then went to the Cummins facility where RapidServe has their office and had a tour of the call center. Following the tour I had an interview with two more RapidServe Engineers. This interview was very similar to the one that I had at my school the month before. After the interview I sat with another RapidServe Engineer on the hotline and listened to calls and talked with the RapidServe Engineer about his day to day. I then had another interview with two more RapidServe Engineers again consisting of walking through my resume and behavioral questions. They also asked me a few situational questions. Following this interview, I was taken to lunch with another RapidServe Engineer who also gave me a quick tour of Columbus.
    A little over a week ago I received another phone call from a Cummins US College Recruiter to verify my contact information. Today I was called again by the same Recruiter to congratulate me because RapidServe had decided to send me an offer that I should be receiving in the next one to two business days.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question that I was asked was to name a time that I had told a customer or coworker the wrong information and how did I go about correcting myself?   Answer Question

Senior Obd Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN).

Interview

It was full day interview about 5 hours interview with 5 different leads/managers - all of whom represented different but related engineering area like software, design, project manager, application lead.
    After that about half an hour of hr interview.

Mos of questions were based on their standard behavior questionnaire e.g. Describe conflict situation , give example of innovation, best practice used etc. since all of the questions are open ended you have relate it to your past experiences and examples.

Interview Questions

• Question on managing customer demands and requirements   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate but I regret it. I later got to know many who were able negotiate 10000 increase on first offer. So be sure to negotiate it but only after you get first written offer. During hr interview just tell them you are flexible.

Thermal and Fluid Sciences Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN).

Interview

I got in touch with the recruiting team at the campus career fair. They set up an on campus interview the next day. It was an easy behavioral question based interview, and I was given a timeline of two weeks in which the company would get back. I got an email, to schedule for a phone interview. The guy who interviewed me, I later learnt was a functional excellence leader in the organization. This interview went in detail about my past work, resume, a couple of technical questions, but nothing very difficult. I got the offer through a phone call from the person who interviewed me, within 10 days.

Interview Questions

• 1. Describe a time when you could not get along with a colleague and how you resolved the problem
      2. Describe a situation where you faced something unexpected, and how you dealt with it.

Answer Question

Financial Systems Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN) in October 2013.

Interview

Firstly apply online through the job opportunity website of university. Was invited for an evening social event and a 45 minute first round interview. Then get an email for the 2nd round on-site interview, including a panel discussion with current employers and a one hour interview, the afternoon is for plant tour. The people were very nice.

Interview Questions

• Not any unexpected question. Only behavior question plus why you interested in the position.   Answer Question

Applied Mechanics Engineer - Co-Op - Fall 2013 Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN) in June 2013.

Interview

-> Had submitted the application by first week of June.

--> HR contacted me to schedule on behavioral interview in the second week.

-> Completed a behavioral interview in the same week (Duration: 40 mins) .

--> HR contacted me to schedule on functional interview in the third week.

-> Completed their functional interview in the fourth week of June(Duration: 60 mins - Grilled)

-> Got the offer within 4 business days after the functional interview.

Interview Questions

• Explain the most innovative idea or concept that you have implemented with limited use of resources   1 Answer

Negotiation

No thoughts of negotiation. Great salary for co-ops...