Cummins Controls Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 13, 2015

2.6

Controls Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cummins.

Interview

Swift & cooperative. Contacted by HR for scheduling a phone interview & then was asked for on site interview. 1st round: 1 hour 2nd round: 1 hour Process was smooth. . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Cummins

Control Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cummins (Gainesville, FL) in October 2013.

Interview

1. Talked to a recruiter on university's career showcase and was asked to apply online. Received a phone call right after the showcase to schedule an on-campus interview. 2. Had behavior interview on campus. It should be a 2:1 interview, one HR and one engineer. But I was interviewed only by the engineer because the HR went for lunch. Lasted for 45 mins. 3. Got an email to schedule a phone interview two weeks after the on-campus interview. Interviewed by a control engineer. He tried to get me relaxed by talking about my interests, hobbies for the first several minutes. Then followed by some technical questions. The interviewee tried to dig deep into my answer until I was unable to explain any more. Lasted for about 1 hour. 4. Received a phone call from Columbus, IN requiring for some personal information. Then contacted the next day providing me two positions to choose from.

Interview Questions

• Some of the behavioral questions were about: 1) brief self-introduction 2) Explain each experience listed on resume. 3) What if you give you customer wrong information. 4) Handle with several projects at the same time. 4) Have different opinions with your leader. 5) Conflicts with team members/colleagues. Some of the technical questions were about: 1) What's the difference between classic control and modern control. 2) What's the condition for a system to be stable. What will happen if it gets unstable. 3) Give a rough design of a cruise control system. 4) What is a vector table in microcontroller programming? 5) How does an interrupt work. 6) Describe the way a sensor works in your project.   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Cummins (Columbus, OH) in September 2013.

Interview

Got the first round chance on a career fair which they informed me about the behavior interview 1 week later. The behavior interview is 1:1 and the hr is nice. Try to be the first interviewee that day and be expressive. About 2 weeks after first round, there was a on phone technical interview. Got the offer 3 weeks after that.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral one: on campus; 1 hour; most questions are easy like how to solve conflict between you and colleague, how to manage your time. Technical one: on phone; 1 hour; one question is to design a control strategy for a driving car. And also asked me about the most successful and innovative work project I have ever done.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in West Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Cummins (West Lafayette, IN) in August 2013.

Interview

There were three interviews. 1) Technical Questions 2) Your Experiences 3) What interests you (helps for placement) All three interviews were over the phone and they were very clear on what was going to happen. At the end of the interview, they told you right then and there if we should expect another phone interview in the near future.

Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Cummins (Anaheim, CA).

Interview

The interview process was very simple. Not very technical. The recruiter wants to see if you fit the company culture. The questions are more behavior based. They spend more time explaining the culture of the company and what kind of projects you will work on there including the overall outcome of the internship with them.

Interview Questions

• What are some of your weaknesses? Steps you take to overcome them.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They dont negotiate salary for interns. The salary is based on level schooling and availability of positions in hr.

Control Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cummins (West Lafayette, IN) in September 2012.

Interview

On campus interview by two very nice Indian engineers They follow a standard questions sheet which is identical for every interview on that day. Basically they repeat some similar behavior questions three times, such as how you deal with controversial problem or conflict with co-workers. So prepare some different materials for same problem if you can. The two engineers replied my thank you letter but I didn't hear back from them regarding next step. SInce I only has the contact info from engineers, that won't help much if I cant get in touch with HR.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you FAILED to meet the deadline. How you deal with a sensitive topic in a public meeting   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in West Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cummins (West Lafayette, IN) in March 2012.

Interview

I got the chance to know about CUMMINS in Purdue's career fair. It is the only few companies that support H1B employee status. First interview was with two people. All the question are about the behaviors. Second interview was with hiring manager. A phone call about an hour, technical questions and answers.

Interview Questions

• Behavior: What is the most difficult situation that you run into? How did you deal with conflict with colleagues? Technical: How to filter out sensor's noise? How to design a controller?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN) in October 2011.

Interview

Initially, I had an in-person interview with basic HR questions. Two people were present, but only 1 answered questions while the other kept a record of my answers. About a week later, I had a Panel Interview, a little bit more technical in nature. Overall it was a great interviewing process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

Application

Interview

They came for a university careeer fair where I have a 1:1 interview. Then within a week they took a second round of telephonic interview. Then, I get to know my results within a week of the interview. Most of the questions are behavioral.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a situation when you had a conflict with the team mates and how do you resolve that?   Answer Question

Controls Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cummins.

Interview

Had to undergo an initial HR interview. If selected, I will have to undergo a technical interview via phone and then if selected I will have another round of interviews onsite