Cummins

Average Difficulty
9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Design Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cummins in January 2013.

Interview Details – They ask behavior questions. And about my previous work experience and my project. The interview is like 30 Min 1:1.

Interview Question – Tell me about one of the most difficult experience in your work place and how you manage it?   Answer Question

Columbus, IN

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cummins in October 2012.

Interview Details – School notified me of Cummins coming on campus for interviews and and asked for resume. Sent resume directly to Cummins instead of school. Contacted the next day for full 2 hour phone interview with resume, behavior, and technical based questions. Was contacted by phone 2 days before arriving on campus with an offer. Invited for on site visit with recruiters and future hiring manager.

Interview Question – How do you handle a disagreement with a manager?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Based on grade for position

Columbus, IN

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Cummins in September 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was majorly based on my experience and interests.The first round of interview was telephonic and second round was 1:1 interviews with the entire team. Cummins looks to match the interviewee with its culture and see if there is a fit. My previous experience and situational questions based on it formed the crux of the entire interview process.

Interview Questions

• Tell us of a situation where you faced with a problem of dealing with technical nature and you used teamwork to solve it.   View Answer
  • Tell us about some instances where you were had to use creative skills to solve a problem and use analytical skills to zero down on a certain solution.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Columbus, IN

Interview Details – The hiring process was through a third party who helped with the interview but denied any negotiation. The interview process was straight forward with questions being asked about my projects and previous experience.Though I had 6 1 on 1 on the same day which became a bit tiring and repetitive.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No. I was not able to negotiate as their was a 3rd party involved and was denied any negotiation by him.

Columbus, IN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Cummins in October 2011.

Interview Details – The communication was very friendly, and it was not intimidating at all. They initiated the interview during a recruitment visit to my school. There was a career coach and a recent graduate present at the interview. My impression of the company was extremely positive. My company visit was very encouraging, it was very much an encouraging experience.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable with relocating?   View Answer
  • What would be the purpose of spark plugs in a diesel engine?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not feel that it was necessary to negotiate. Their initial offer was extremely satisfactory.

Columbus, IN

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cummins in October 2010.

Interview Details – Campus interview - Behavioral ( Questions about cultural experiences, examples of innovation, roadblocks, technical writing, etc.) Primarily looking for demonstration of core values. Elimination round.
Phone interview - Resume based - Technical (usually with team offering the job. Fairly straightforward. Technical communication given emphasis.) - Elimination round.
On-site interview - Resume based - Technical (Depending on role, may or may not be elimination round. Sometimes, a facility tour is given followed by offer letter. Other times, it might be a series of interviews with the team asking for a presentation or similar)

Interview Question – Give an example of innovation that you have shown at work   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Cummins offer is industry standard and probably a little above average. Negotiation is very hard since the salary is pre-decided based on grade, role and experience.

Design Engineer

The process took a day - interviewed at Cummins in February 2012.

Interview Details – Job fair-Campus interview-Looking forward to their reply

Design Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Cummins in October 2011.

Interview Details – The company contacted me quickly after I submitted my resume and proceeded to interview me the next week. They then offered me a job immediately following my interview and sent me an official job offer within 2 weeks. The staff that I communicated with were all very friendly.

Interview Question – What is the purpose of having a longer bolt?   Answer Question

Design Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cummins in September 2010.

Interview Details – The people at company seemed very polite . I had a phone interview and 5 interviews during the onsite visit.
The interviewers were interested in the work I had done and my background. During the phone interview I was grilled about my internships mentioned on my resume.I was asked to explain my projects on the whiteboard.Long interviews and maintaining the energy levels was a challenge.

Interview Questions

Worked for Cummins? Contribute to the Community!