Cummins Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 1, 2014

33 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Stoughton, WI
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stoughton, WI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Cummins in April 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter about a contract position with Cummins Filtration. The position required a working knowledge of Pro/E Creo. I interview in person and was shown a presentation about what the facility did, and I was shown an example of the type of projects I would be working on if I were to be hired. They asked me about my experience with Pro/E. I also described a design project I worked on in some detail. There weren't many behavioral interview questions. That might have been because it was a contract position that needed to be hired asap to do mostly modeling. After my interview I was given a part to model in Creo. The engineer and the HR individual who interviewed me were amicable.

Interview Questions
  • I was given an injected molded part and a caliper, and I was asked to model it to the best of my ability in a 30 minute period.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Cummins

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cummins in March 2014.

Applied the job online,got an email regarding the steps of the interview.1st interview was behavioral interview....aced it. 2nd interview was technical interview with a panel of two people.

Interview Questions
    • What are the peripherals for the Cruise Control of a car?   View Answer

Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Cummins.

Initially they will call you and take behavioral interview. Second round is a technical interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me the things which you thought I should ask and I didn't ask?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Cummins.

The "process", like all Cummins' processes is like a poorly planned game show with almost a complete lack of necessary verbal communications. There are lots of hoops and paperwork that lead up to several rounds of "interviews" that are structured to be both intimidating and confrontational. Unfortunately, I ignored many of these Red Flags for the lure of a better salary. It was not worth it.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult. The participants obviously had been "assigned" the task of interviewing and had no genuine interest. Therefore, "the game" was simply to ask seemingly random or "canned" questions aimed more at trying to highlight the dominance of the interviewer.   Answer Question
    Negotiation? Are you kidding?

Engineer Interview

The process included a phone interview along with a in person panel interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cummins in February 2012.

Applied through university. Within the same week , I was emailed by the recruiting team and it was a bunch of behavioral questions. The next week I was interviewed by the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • When you present in front of people, how do u make sure that they understand what you are saying?   Answer Question
    • Walk me through your resume   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

The process took a day - interviewed at Cummins in November 2011.

Phone interview, ask about yourself, experiences, why choose Cummins

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Cummins in October 2011.

My initial communication with Cummins was at a collegiate career fair. I gave a recruiter my resume, spoke face to face for a bit, and expressed interest in being a design engineer. A few weeks later I received a surprise phone interview. During the interview I had to answer technical questions, personality questions, and time & situation management questions. The total interview time was about 30 minutes, and there was no follow-up interview.

My advise for interviewees is to try to be yourself without coming across as sounding arrogant. Also, when you are asked technical questions, it's alright to pause for a minute to think of a good answer.

Interview Questions
    • Why would might you use a long bolt in double shear as opposed to a shorter bolt?   Answer Question
    • How do you work through the conceptual part of a design process?   Answer Question
    I received an excellent offer right out of the box that did not require extensive negotiation. The one thing that I did need to change, my start date, was easily changed during my confirmation communication.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Cummins in August 2011.

Basically It took 3 interviews
    1st behavioral interview took 30 Minutes, 2nd Technical interview took 1.5 hours, 3rd Onsite interview/ Group or Panel Interview took 7 hours.

Behavioral was pretty straight forward, Give me an example where you handled conflict, Give me an example where you failed, Give me an example where you did something new.

Technical Interview started with a run through my resume. Tell us about your achievements, Then they asked questions about FMEA process, problem solving ability, then hardcore engineering questions about, Stress, endurance, Loads, Forces, Balancing, Part failure under Load etc.

Final Onsite Interview started with discussion on my resume and how I use my engineering knowledge in developing various products, What process and thinking I am using to solve various engineering problems. Then Questions about my achievements at previous job.
    Interview started with a manager interview, after that my hiring manager took me on a city and manufacturing plant tour, asked similar questions. Then 1 hr Behavioral interview round asking questions like, where you see yourself in 5 years, What kind of a role you prefer in product development process etc, and then a HR wrap up at the end. Got offer after 3 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Questions related to Stress, Endurance, Loading, Forces, Balancing, etc   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Cummins in November 2010.

- Typically, the interview process consists of 3 steps: a 1:1 behavioral phone interview with an outside recruiter, a second phone interview with a Cummins technical group and finally an on-site interview.

I was able to clear the first behavioral interview (50 mins duration).
    Before the technical interview, the Cummins technical group sent me a tech questionnaire based on which the phone interview was conducted the next day (45 min duration). This interview was okay but I felt I could have done better with the initial questions. I couldn't clear this round, so I was not recommended for the on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral interview question: Describe an extremely frustrating situation you had to cope with?   View Answer
    • What do you think are your strengths and weaknesses?   View Answer

Worked for Cummins? Contribute to the Community!