Cummins Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 16, 2015
Updated Mar 16, 2015

3.1

Engineering Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Cummins in December 2010.

networked at campus career fair and got called by them. Then scheduled an interview over email. Everyone I interacted with was very friendly, polite and accommodating.

Other Interview Reviews for Cummins

Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cummins in January 2015.

I applied online and was eventually contacted about a phone interview. The first phone interview was with an HR representative and it lasted around a half hour. A week or so after that I was contacted about a second phone interview. The second interview was with an engineer. It lasted an hour and was full of very technical engineering questions about what I would do in design and development situations. I received an offer a several weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • What are the steps you would take to identify the cause of a specific problem?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cummins in March 2014.

Applied the job online,got an email regarding the steps of the interview.1st interview was behavioral interview....aced it. 2nd interview was technical interview with a panel of two people.

Interview Questions
    • What are the peripherals for the Cruise Control of a car?   View Answer

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cummins in September 2012.

Behavioral interview with two interviewers, they went through 5 to 6 standard questions to you and let you ask one question about the company

Interview Questions
    • tell me what you did in a situation where some body gave you can project without clear guidance   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cummins in February 2011.

2 phone interviews:
    1st one was with an outside recruiter. Pretty easy. She sent a questionnaire 2 weeks in advance. On the day of the interview, I was asked the same questions. Basically HR Stuff.
    Describe situation of conflict
    Describe strengths and weaknesses
    Describe the most innovative thing you have come up with
    What are your future plans - 5 years ahead etc.
    What are the positions you are best suited for and why? (she had sent me a list of positions - entry level)

2nd one was a technical phone interview with the hiring manager. He was from the advanced systems design group. This one was pretty difficult. Nothing asked from resume. Was asked a lot of design engineering stuff like difference between form and function, explain the whole process when you designed a product, stress analyses, etc. had to come up with examples for everything. The whole thing lasted about 45 minutes. Got really tough at some points.

Have been told that the decision will be made in 2 weeks. Will post an update once I receive it.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between form and function in a design   Answer Question
    • What type of analysis you used to evaluate the performance of the product and why   Answer Question
    • What types of tool you know. Details about tools, projects etc. Grilled on extent of knowledge of ProE   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cummins in August 2011.

Basically It took 3 interviews
    1st behavioral interview took 30 Minutes, 2nd Technical interview took 1.5 hours, 3rd Onsite interview/ Group or Panel Interview took 7 hours.

Behavioral was pretty straight forward, Give me an example where you handled conflict, Give me an example where you failed, Give me an example where you did something new.

Technical Interview started with a run through my resume. Tell us about your achievements, Then they asked questions about FMEA process, problem solving ability, then hardcore engineering questions about, Stress, endurance, Loads, Forces, Balancing, Part failure under Load etc.

Final Onsite Interview started with discussion on my resume and how I use my engineering knowledge in developing various products, What process and thinking I am using to solve various engineering problems. Then Questions about my achievements at previous job.
    Interview started with a manager interview, after that my hiring manager took me on a city and manufacturing plant tour, asked similar questions. Then 1 hr Behavioral interview round asking questions like, where you see yourself in 5 years, What kind of a role you prefer in product development process etc, and then a HR wrap up at the end. Got offer after 3 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Questions related to Stress, Endurance, Loading, Forces, Balancing, etc   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN

The process took a dayinterviewed at Cummins in November 2011.

Phone interview, ask about yourself, experiences, why choose Cummins

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cummins in February 2012.

Applied through university. Within the same week , I was emailed by the recruiting team and it was a bunch of behavioral questions. The next week I was interviewed by the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • When you present in front of people, how do u make sure that they understand what you are saying?   Answer Question
    • Walk me through your resume   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cummins in September 2011.

First I talked to the recruiters at my college job fair, where I went over my resume and past experiences. Signed up for an phone interview, which I did the next day. A few weeks later I went to an information session did an on campus interview with an engineer (an alumnus of the college).

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Cummins in January 2008.

Had a campus interview, waited for a 6 weeks to get a phone interview and after a week was invited for one on one. Given offer the same day

vacation days