Cummins

Average Difficulty
33 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Very Difficult Interview

Engineering

The process took a day - interviewed at Cummins in December 2010.

Interview Details – networked at campus career fair and got called by them. Then scheduled an interview over email. Everyone I interacted with was very friendly, polite and accommodating.

Interview Question – What are your key weaknesses?   View Answer

Engineering

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cummins in February 2011.

Interview Details – 2 phone interviews:
1st one was with an outside recruiter. Pretty easy. She sent a questionnaire 2 weeks in advance. On the day of the interview, I was asked the same questions. Basically HR Stuff.
Describe situation of conflict
Describe strengths and weaknesses
Describe the most innovative thing you have come up with
What are your future plans - 5 years ahead etc.
What are the positions you are best suited for and why? (she had sent me a list of positions - entry level)

2nd one was a technical phone interview with the hiring manager. He was from the advanced systems design group. This one was pretty difficult. Nothing asked from resume. Was asked a lot of design engineering stuff like difference between form and function, explain the whole process when you designed a product, stress analyses, etc. had to come up with examples for everything. The whole thing lasted about 45 minutes. Got really tough at some points.

Have been told that the decision will be made in 2 weeks. Will post an update once I receive it.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between form and function in a design   Answer Question
  • What type of analysis you used to evaluate the performance of the product and why   Answer Question
  • What types of tool you know. Details about tools, projects etc. Grilled on extent of knowledge of ProE   Answer Question

Columbus, IN

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cummins in August 2011.

Interview Details – Basically It took 3 interviews
1st behavioral interview took 30 Minutes, 2nd Technical interview took 1.5 hours, 3rd Onsite interview/ Group or Panel Interview took 7 hours.

Behavioral was pretty straight forward, Give me an example where you handled conflict, Give me an example where you failed, Give me an example where you did something new.

Technical Interview started with a run through my resume. Tell us about your achievements, Then they asked questions about FMEA process, problem solving ability, then hardcore engineering questions about, Stress, endurance, Loads, Forces, Balancing, Part failure under Load etc.

Final Onsite Interview started with discussion on my resume and how I use my engineering knowledge in developing various products, What process and thinking I am using to solve various engineering problems. Then Questions about my achievements at previous job.
Interview started with a manager interview, after that my hiring manager took me on a city and manufacturing plant tour, asked similar questions. Then 1 hr Behavioral interview round asking questions like, where you see yourself in 5 years, What kind of a role you prefer in product development process etc, and then a HR wrap up at the end. Got offer after 3 weeks.

Interview Question – Questions related to Stress, Endurance, Loading, Forces, Balancing, etc   Answer Question

Columbus, IN

The process took a day - interviewed at Cummins in November 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview, ask about yourself, experiences, why choose Cummins

Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Cummins in September 2012.

Interview Details – Behavioral interview with two interviewers, they went through 5 to 6 standard questions to you and let you ask one question about the company

Interview Question – tell me what you did in a situation where some body gave you can project without clear guidance   Answer Question

Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cummins in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied the job online,got an email regarding the steps of the interview.1st interview was behavioral interview....aced it. 2nd interview was technical interview with a panel of two people.

Interview Question – What are the peripherals for the Cruise Control of a car?   View Answer

Stoughton, WI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Cummins in April 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter about a contract position with Cummins Filtration. The position required a working knowledge of Pro/E Creo. I interview in person and was shown a presentation about what the facility did, and I was shown an example of the type of projects I would be working on if I were to be hired. They asked me about my experience with Pro/E. I also described a design project I worked on in some detail. There weren't many behavioral interview questions. That might have been because it was a contract position that needed to be hired asap to do mostly modeling. After my interview I was given a part to model in Creo. The engineer and the HR individual who interviewed me were amicable.

Interview Question – I was given an injected molded part and a caliper, and I was asked to model it to the best of my ability in a 30 minute period.   Answer Question

Columbus, IN

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cummins in January 2011.

Interview Details – Had an on-campus interview at first. Every questions asked were pretty much behavioral. Then had a phone interview with the hiring manager after a month. Similar interview questions on the resume. Then after that had an on-site visit. The on-site visit is basically to check out whether you fit into the team. Had to meet a couple of managers-even a meeting.

Interview Question – how to deal with conflicts?   Answer Question

Columbus, IN

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Cummins in November 2010.

Interview Details – - Typically, the interview process consists of 3 steps: a 1:1 behavioral phone interview with an outside recruiter, a second phone interview with a Cummins technical group and finally an on-site interview.

I was able to clear the first behavioral interview (50 mins duration).
Before the technical interview, the Cummins technical group sent me a tech questionnaire based on which the phone interview was conducted the next day (45 min duration). This interview was okay but I felt I could have done better with the initial questions. I couldn't clear this round, so I was not recommended for the on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral interview question: Describe an extremely frustrating situation you had to cope with?   View Answer
  • What do you think are your strengths and weaknesses?   View Answer

Columbus, IN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Cummins.

Interview Details – The "process", like all Cummins' processes is like a poorly planned game show with almost a complete lack of necessary verbal communications. There are lots of hoops and paperwork that lead up to several rounds of "interviews" that are structured to be both intimidating and confrontational. Unfortunately, I ignored many of these Red Flags for the lure of a better salary. It was not worth it.

Interview Question – None of the questions were difficult. The participants obviously had been "assigned" the task of interviewing and had no genuine interest. Therefore, "the game" was simply to ask seemingly random or "canned" questions aimed more at trying to highlight the dominance of the interviewer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation? Are you kidding?

Worked for Cummins? Contribute to the Community!