Cummins Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 8, 2015

3.1

Engineering Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cummins in December 2010.

Interview

networked at campus career fair and got called by them. Then scheduled an interview over email. Everyone I interacted with was very friendly, polite and accommodating.

Interview Questions

• What are your key weaknesses?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Cummins

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cummins in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was eventually contacted about a phone interview. The first phone interview was with an HR representative and it lasted around a half hour. A week or so after that I was contacted about a second phone interview. The second interview was with an engineer. It lasted an hour and was full of very technical engineering questions about what I would do in design and development situations. I received an offer a several weeks later.

Interview Questions

• What are the steps you would take to identify the cause of a specific problem?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cummins (Indianapolis, IN) in March 2014.

Interview

Applied the job online,got an email regarding the steps of the interview.1st interview was behavioral interview....aced it. 2nd interview was technical interview with a panel of two people.

Interview Questions

• What are the peripherals for the Cruise Control of a car?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN) in November 2011.

Interview

Phone interview, ask about yourself, experiences, why choose Cummins

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cummins in February 2011.

Interview

2 phone interviews: 1st one was with an outside recruiter. Pretty easy. She sent a questionnaire 2 weeks in advance. On the day of the interview, I was asked the same questions. Basically HR Stuff. Describe situation of conflict Describe strengths and weaknesses Describe the most innovative thing you have come up with What are your future plans - 5 years ahead etc. What are the positions you are best suited for and why? (she had sent me a list of positions - entry level) 2nd one was a technical phone interview with the hiring manager. He was from the advanced systems design group. This one was pretty difficult. Nothing asked from resume. Was asked a lot of design engineering stuff like difference between form and function, explain the whole process when you designed a product, stress analyses, etc. had to come up with examples for everything. The whole thing lasted about 45 minutes. Got really tough at some points. Have been told that the decision will be made in 2 weeks. Will post an update once I receive it.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between form and function in a design   Answer Question
    • What type of analysis you used to evaluate the performance of the product and why   Answer Question
    • What types of tool you know. Details about tools, projects etc. Grilled on extent of knowledge of ProE   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cummins in September 2012.

Interview

Behavioral interview with two interviewers, they went through 5 to 6 standard questions to you and let you ask one question about the company

Interview Questions

• tell me what you did in a situation where some body gave you can project without clear guidance   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN) in August 2011.

Interview

Basically It took 3 interviews 1st behavioral interview took 30 Minutes, 2nd Technical interview took 1.5 hours, 3rd Onsite interview/ Group or Panel Interview took 7 hours. Behavioral was pretty straight forward, Give me an example where you handled conflict, Give me an example where you failed, Give me an example where you did something new. Technical Interview started with a run through my resume. Tell us about your achievements, Then they asked questions about FMEA process, problem solving ability, then hardcore engineering questions about, Stress, endurance, Loads, Forces, Balancing, Part failure under Load etc. Final Onsite Interview started with discussion on my resume and how I use my engineering knowledge in developing various products, What process and thinking I am using to solve various engineering problems. Then Questions about my achievements at previous job. Interview started with a manager interview, after that my hiring manager took me on a city and manufacturing plant tour, asked similar questions. Then 1 hr Behavioral interview round asking questions like, where you see yourself in 5 years, What kind of a role you prefer in product development process etc, and then a HR wrap up at the end. Got offer after 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Questions related to Stress, Endurance, Loading, Forces, Balancing, etc   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cummins in April 2011.

Interview

Ask very detailed technical questions and some behaviors questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN) in January 2011.

Interview

Had an on-campus interview at first. Every questions asked were pretty much behavioral. Then had a phone interview with the hiring manager after a month. Similar interview questions on the resume. Then after that had an on-site visit. The on-site visit is basically to check out whether you fit into the team. Had to meet a couple of managers-even a meeting.

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN) in November 2010.

Interview

- Typically, the interview process consists of 3 steps: a 1:1 behavioral phone interview with an outside recruiter, a second phone interview with a Cummins technical group and finally an on-site interview. I was able to clear the first behavioral interview (50 mins duration). Before the technical interview, the Cummins technical group sent me a tech questionnaire based on which the phone interview was conducted the next day (45 min duration). This interview was okay but I felt I could have done better with the initial questions. I couldn't clear this round, so I was not recommended for the on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral interview question: Describe an extremely frustrating situation you had to cope with?   1 Answer
    • What do you think are your strengths and weaknesses?   1 Answer