Cummins Engineering Interview Questions

Updated Aug 8, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN) in February 2012.

Interview

Applied through university. Within the same week , I was emailed by the recruiting team and it was a bunch of behavioral questions. The next week I was interviewed by the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• When you present in front of people, how do u make sure that they understand what you are saying?   Answer Question
  • Walk me through your resume   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Cummins

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN) in November 2011.

Interview

Phone interview, ask about yourself, experiences, why choose Cummins

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN) in October 2011.

Interview

My initial communication with Cummins was at a collegiate career fair. I gave a recruiter my resume, spoke face to face for a bit, and expressed interest in being a design engineer. A few weeks later I received a surprise phone interview. During the interview I had to answer technical questions, personality questions, and time & situation management questions. The total interview time was about 30 minutes, and there was no follow-up interview. My advise for interviewees is to try to be yourself without coming across as sounding arrogant. Also, when you are asked technical questions, it's alright to pause for a minute to think of a good answer.

Interview Questions

• Why would might you use a long bolt in double shear as opposed to a shorter bolt?   Answer Question
    • How do you work through the conceptual part of a design process?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I received an excellent offer right out of the box that did not require extensive negotiation. The one thing that I did need to change, my start date, was easily changed during my confirmation communication.

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN) in August 2011.

Interview

Basically It took 3 interviews 1st behavioral interview took 30 Minutes, 2nd Technical interview took 1.5 hours, 3rd Onsite interview/ Group or Panel Interview took 7 hours. Behavioral was pretty straight forward, Give me an example where you handled conflict, Give me an example where you failed, Give me an example where you did something new. Technical Interview started with a run through my resume. Tell us about your achievements, Then they asked questions about FMEA process, problem solving ability, then hardcore engineering questions about, Stress, endurance, Loads, Forces, Balancing, Part failure under Load etc. Final Onsite Interview started with discussion on my resume and how I use my engineering knowledge in developing various products, What process and thinking I am using to solve various engineering problems. Then Questions about my achievements at previous job. Interview started with a manager interview, after that my hiring manager took me on a city and manufacturing plant tour, asked similar questions. Then 1 hr Behavioral interview round asking questions like, where you see yourself in 5 years, What kind of a role you prefer in product development process etc, and then a HR wrap up at the end. Got offer after 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Questions related to Stress, Endurance, Loading, Forces, Balancing, etc   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN) in February 2011.

Interview

Pretty straight forward. Applied online and got a call months later. Did one phone interview and passed the behavioral interview portion. Then interviewed with an employee for a technical interview and passed it as well. Will do doing a campus interview next.

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN) in January 2011.

Interview

Had an on-campus interview at first. Every questions asked were pretty much behavioral. Then had a phone interview with the hiring manager after a month. Similar interview questions on the resume. Then after that had an on-site visit. The on-site visit is basically to check out whether you fit into the team. Had to meet a couple of managers-even a meeting.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cummins (Columbus, OH) in December 2010.

Interview

There were 2 phone interviews. First was a behavioral type interview. Other was more technical, asking in detail about my resume experience and projects.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN) in November 2010.

Interview

- Typically, the interview process consists of 3 steps: a 1:1 behavioral phone interview with an outside recruiter, a second phone interview with a Cummins technical group and finally an on-site interview. I was able to clear the first behavioral interview (50 mins duration). Before the technical interview, the Cummins technical group sent me a tech questionnaire based on which the phone interview was conducted the next day (45 min duration). This interview was okay but I felt I could have done better with the initial questions. I couldn't clear this round, so I was not recommended for the on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral interview question: Describe an extremely frustrating situation you had to cope with?   1 Answer
    • What do you think are your strengths and weaknesses?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, IN

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cummins (Columbus, IN) in October 2010.

Interview

Very nice people and great company

Interview Questions

• What did you do when you were not clear about the project you are working on?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cummins.

Interview

I first spoke with their recruiters during the career fair in my college. I was invited to interview with them the next day. The interview was behavioral and the recruiter noted my answers. He said they would be getting back to me regarding the next steps in a week. I did not get my second interview till after a month , there were some miss communication and I was even rejected once. So don't be surprised if things don't necessarily fall according to their timeline. I was then called for a functional interview and was asked to go through my resume, this was a phone interview. It lasted about an hour and was given 15 mins to ask questions. I was then contacted with an offer after about two weeks.

Interview Questions

• Standard behavioral, resume questions. Nothing extraordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Pretty much non negotiable, but they make really good offers in the first place. Start date is very flexible for new grads as well.